Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel Bike vs Hybrid

Old 06-04-18, 08:42 AM
mariusvt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gravel Bike vs Hybrid

I've been loosely toying with the idea of adding a gravel bike to go alongside my Trek 7.3 FX, something under $1000 so just looking for some bike suggestions, advice or any other thoughts.

85% of my riding is on hard & loose pack gravel trails, which the FX does well with. The reason I'm thinking about the gravel bike is for those times I venture out on the road for a ride, a little more speed than the FX on the trails or simply different riding ergonomics. There's some pretty good hills so I'm thinking a 46/30 up front and 8 or ideally 9 on the cassette. 2 bikes that have caught my eye are the Diamondback Haanjo 3 and the Raleigh Willard 2, which on paper seem very similar since they are the same company with the advantage going to the Raleigh for the through axles.
Old 06-04-18, 01:55 PM
stringsonbikes

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also look at the salsa journeyman
Old 06-04-18, 06:46 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I have a trek 7.2 fx and a Raleigh tamland. The trek is currently hooked to the toddler trailer and is my "family time" bike. The Raleigh is my "me" bike. I'm not in to mountain biking and will never be a road racer, so these two bikes fit my lifestyle and local roads perfectly. The local county roads are pretty rough and I'm pretty big, so the durability and comfort of the tamland was a selling point for me.
Old 08-06-18, 04:49 PM
tclong03

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
For now I am using a specialized sirrus for gravel. I put drops on it and upgraded to 9 spd drivetrain. I have been wondering if it is strong enough to handle gravel in the flint hills of Kansas?
Old 08-06-18, 09:15 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. I haven't ridden a bike with drop bars for almost 30 years. I am thinking I want to replace my Raleigh Cadent 2 with a gravel bike, but I am not sure. Unfortunately my local bike shop is limited to Trek and doesn't have a gravel bike in stock. I recently found a great online deal on a Diamondback Haanjo Trail, but I don't know how long the deal will last. I hate to spend money on a bike that I have never ridden and am not sure if I will like. I am really torn as I doubt I will ever see this deal again. If I buy it and don't ride it, I will have a really neat looking decoration, which is the last thing I want to do.
Old 08-07-18, 01:10 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Anything more than 13 miles and I find myself preferring drop bars instead of flats. I think you'll enjoy the differentiation that a gravel bike offers from a hybrid.
Old 08-07-18, 06:25 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by medic75
I'm in a similar situation. I haven't ridden a bike with drop bars for almost 30 years. I am thinking I want to replace my Raleigh Cadent 2 with a gravel bike, but I am not sure. Unfortunately my local bike shop is limited to Trek and doesn't have a gravel bike in stock. I recently found a great online deal on a Diamondback Haanjo Trail, but I don't know how long the deal will last. I hate to spend money on a bike that I have never ridden and am not sure if I will like. I am really torn as I doubt I will ever see this deal again. If I buy it and don't ride it, I will have a really neat looking decoration, which is the last thing I want to do.

I had that debate with myself too with Bikes Direct, Raleigh, and Canyon. I ended up looking at the return policy and asking myself if the “deal” was worth risking the $50 return shipping fee? Unless it was a screaming deal, it would have to be returnable.

One bonus for Canyon, is that their bikes are 100% refundable if you don’t want to keep it (including shipping). I ended up buying two and returning the one that I liked least.

Seems like the Haanjo has been on sale for a while now

Originally Posted by tFUnK
Anything more than 13 miles and I find myself preferring drop bars instead of flats. I think you'll enjoy the differentiation that a gravel bike offers from a hybrid.
Then again, the OP only posted once in this forum, and that was many months ago.
Old 08-07-18, 06:29 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by tclong03
For now I am using a specialized sirrus for gravel. I put drops on it and upgraded to 9 spd drivetrain. I have been wondering if it is strong enough to handle gravel in the flint hills of Kansas?
Probably best to start your own thread rather than revive something that is months old. It confuses people who often don't realize how old the thread is.

The sirrus should be good for gravel, as long as you keep the wheels on the ground and don't jump it.
Old 08-14-18, 01:53 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Me too. I switched from flat bars to drops in my mid-50's (a time when many people are going the other direction and trying to get more upright and while it did take some extra adjustment due to my flexibility (or lack thereof), I would never go back to flats on any kind of gravel, touring, adventure, etc. bike. For my dedicated MTB, sure it's flat bars, but anything else, drops FTW (and I went through several different "alt" bars too).
Old 08-16-18, 08:49 AM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might review some of the YouTube videos done by Clint Gibbs. Clint had both a Gravel bike, a Cyclocross bike and two MTB bikes. He rides flater gravel in Florida a large amount of the time. He ended up modifying his Cyclocross bike for gravel and selling the Gravel bike, which he documents the reasons for.

I can ride the “gravel” roads at my back door every day. My issue is there are very steep up & downs everywhere. I am modifying my cyclocross bike for fast shifting over lower gear ranges. I am about to turn 69 so I am not interested in being fast/racing. I am more interested in getting up steep hills and not loosing control of tires in deep sandy gravel over pavement.
Old 08-16-18, 09:01 PM
EpicTwiglet

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to mix things up... Here is my Hybrid/Road/Gravel bike.
Edit: For context, to those who may say this is a hair brained idea, I have 3 slipped discs in my back and need the comfort of a flat bar, but I'm also very fit and love to put the miles down at 20+mph. Drop bat's are no go due to geometry, and the Iso Speed Decoupler of the Trek FX5+ range make this the comfiest bike I've ever owned.

Last edited by EpicTwiglet; 08-16-18 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-16-18, 09:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicTwiglet
Edit: For context, to those who may say this is a hair brained idea, I have 3 slipped discs in my back and need the comfort of a flat bar, but I'm also very fit and love to put the miles down at 20+mph. Drop bat's are no go due to geometry, and the Iso Speed Decoupler of the Trek FX5+ range make this the comfiest bike I've ever owned.
very cool bike setup and solution to your back limitations.
do you find yourself sliding off the nose of the saddle with it pointed down so much? Wasnt sure if that helps woth the back or what.
Old 08-23-18, 11:19 AM
IvyGodivy
Gravel Rider

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5 | Trek Farley 5

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't ridden drop bars since i was a teenager (44 now). A few weeks ago I bought a Trek Checkpoint ALR 5 that has drop bars and sold my Specialized Hybrid with straight bars and I adapted really fast. Speaking of fast the speed difference between the two and how light a bike is without shocks is now making me want all my bikes to be without shocks. I am one bike away from getting rid of all bikes (that are mine) with shocks.
Old 08-24-18, 09:22 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...ntid=undefined
Old 09-02-18, 07:53 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by mariusvt
I've been loosely toying with the idea of adding a gravel bike to go alongside my Trek 7.3 FX, something under $1000 so just looking for some bike suggestions, advice or any other thoughts.

85% of my riding is on hard & loose pack gravel trails, which the FX does well with. The reason I'm thinking about the gravel bike is for those times I venture out on the road for a ride, a little more speed than the FX on the trails or simply different riding ergonomics. There's some pretty good hills so I'm thinking a 46/30 up front and 8 or ideally 9 on the cassette. 2 bikes that have caught my eye are the Diamondback Haanjo 3 and the Raleigh Willard 2, which on paper seem very similar since they are the same company with the advantage going to the Raleigh for the through axles.
holmes you have a gravel bike. The hybrid us the original gravel bike but lacks the new jazzy name. Go ride it up grade to better stuff but u got a gravel bike yo!
Old 09-10-18, 12:55 AM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hybrid or Gravel bike? Does the “straiight” bar make it a Hybrid.

Last edited by McMitchell; 09-10-18 at 01:03 AM. Reason: More info, can’t seem to get pictures to fit
Old 09-10-18, 09:22 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I blew out my L4 and L5, and started back to riding on flat bars by request of my Dr.. I went back to the drops about 45 days ago and I am not looking back at all. I have actually found my rides to be more comfortable. The upright position actually puts more pressure on the lower back than riding on the hoods for me personally. I can see with the way you have this bike set up you have plenty of hand positions and can get stretched out.
At the end of the day though its what works for you right. Looks to me like the FX 5 and 6 are pretty nice bikes.
Old 09-15-18, 11:34 AM
McMitchell

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was in a car accident, herniated all but one cranial vertebra. I also paddled white water and caught dogs on a bite sleeve for 20-30 years, which does not help thoracic or lumbar vertebra much. Exercise can help, especially stretching & sit ups......Sometimes my bike helps issues sometimes not so much...which may be fit issues.

It is certainly worth doing a little experimenting with bike fit to find what works for various issues.

I am currently experimenting with end bars on a carbon riser bar.

Last edited by McMitchell; 09-23-18 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-22-18, 08:36 PM
tclong03

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have been wandering about hybrids the original gravel bike. The geometries are quite alike.
Old 09-22-18, 08:45 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Gravel bikes do not have suspension forks.
Old 09-23-18, 07:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by McBTC
Gravel bikes do not have suspension forks.
original hybrids didnt have suspension.
and while some hybrids do have suspension now, many dont.

a hybrid needn't have suspension.
Old 09-23-18, 07:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by tclong03
I have been wandering about hybrids the original gravel bike. The geometries are quite alike.
my first gravel bike was buily from an early 90s Univega hybrid frame. It was a blast to ride and i used it for a couple years to figure out what I like and don't like before buying a modern gravel frameset and building that up.

the Univega worked well for what i needed at the time, but the geometry was slower than my current gravel bike and way slower than many modern gravel race bikes.

gravel bikes is a wide category. Anything from light carbon gravel frames with semi-aggressive geometry to moderately upright high stack-height 29er style drop bar mountain bikes are considered gravel bikes.

point is, some gravel bikes may be similar in some geometry to old hybrids, but many arent.
Old 09-23-18, 03:04 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I don't see how it'd be possible to ride on a saddle tilted like that. Is that the normal position?
Old 09-23-18, 03:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
"Gravel" is just an unpaved road, that pavement dwellers discovered is not a busy road..
as if its a new thing..
Old 09-23-18, 04:36 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by fietsbob
"Gravel" is just an unpaved road, that pavement dwellers discovered is not a busy road..
as if its a new thing..
thanks for the insight, bob.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.