Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Am I Becoming a Grumpy Old Man?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 09-02-18, 07:27 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I remember LOnesome7-7203 and BEechwood4-5789
Old 09-03-18, 10:58 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
The only thing that goes into the one bottle cage on my bike is a large UE Boom bluetooth speaker that I crank up while I ride
Nobody other than myself hears it for more than about 5 seconds unless they are drafting me uninvited(which I don’t mind)
Keep your public noise sensitivities to yourself I say.
Now there's a real irritation! 5 seconds? Ya think! I can hear riders like you a half mile off so unless I am lucky enough to be going the other way, your choice of noise can impact my serenity for a long time. Use buds, man. My life does not need your personal sound track.

Edit: Just read what I wrote ... talk about being grumpy!

Last edited by Hoopdriver; 09-03-18 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-03-18, 05:24 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
In my 40s and 50s I was the stereotypical grumpy old(er) guy, a complete Type A type.

And what did that get me? Aggravation and coronary heart disease, that’s what it got me.

Now that I have entered my 60s I am far more mellow, relaxed and yes... happier.

I look at some of my earlier posts in BF and I don’t even recognize that person—angry, combative and full of p*ss and vinegar.

Getting older does not necessarily mean turning into an old grump.

YMMV
Old 09-03-18, 07:05 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10951 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
In my 40s and 50s I was the stereotypical grumpy old(er) guy, a complete Type A type.

And what did that get me? Aggravation and coronary heart disease, that’s what it got me.

Now that I have entered my 60s I am far more mellow, relaxed and yes... happier.

I look at some of my earlier posts in BF and I don’t even recognize that person—angry, combative and full of p*ss and vinegar.

Getting older does not necessarily mean turning into an old grump.

YMMV
Well said. One can look for slights and faults in others or one can live and let live. Sometimes it's hard not to dwell on what others do but it definitely makes for a less stressful and healthier life.

Old 09-03-18, 07:34 PM
willyn
OldNewbie

Bikes: ‘90 Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. I hope you told him to stay off your damn lawn, also.
Old 09-03-18, 11:34 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I let my lawn die.
Old 09-03-18, 11:47 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Just think the loud mouth spewing personal business about the person on the the other end and the whole area knowning about it? In a small town like Hondo that could lead to some embarrassment Geez Joe I don’t think everyone in Dairy Queen wanted to know about you’re wife’s monthly cycle etc etc. No Mr. Habanero you are not grumpy at all just take his cell phone and smash it and the crowd around will applaud.
Old 09-04-18, 01:37 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Certain things bother us more when we are older. We like things to be safe, comfortable, and predicable, When was the last time you heard of someone in their 20's calling the cops about a loud party?

Loud parties, loud conversations, loud cars and motorcycles, and loud music just don't seem to bother young people as much as they do older people. I'm with you, people shouldn't have loud phone conversations in public. People who drive loud cars and loud motorcycles, and have loud parties should go to jail if they don't cut it out.

If you're angry and inconvenienced, let it be known politely and respectfully. And THEN call the cops (who won't do anything).
I simply thank them for sharing their conversation with the public and reminding me that my life isn't as bad as I though after all.
Old 09-04-18, 02:28 AM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The other day I was in the grocery store and someone was talking on their cell phone about personnel issues in their business loud enough for all within 5 feet to hear. I started to comment on what he was saying to my wife and the guy shot me dead with his scowling eyes.

I see it as he put it out there in the public square, the information is public and all are free to use it or talk about it. Am I becoming a grumpy old man or should people shut up and keep their conversation about whatever private?
Yes Keep your thoughts to yourself.
Old 09-04-18, 04:08 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Now there's a real irritation! 5 seconds? Ya think! I can hear riders like you a half mile off so unless I am lucky enough to be going the other way, your choice of noise can impact my serenity for a long time. Use buds, man. My life does not need your personal sound track.

Edit: Just read what I wrote ... talk about being grumpy!
Sorry but if you want serenity you shouldn’t be riding on public roads.

Old 09-04-18, 04:43 AM
jag2857

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"The other day I was in the grocery store and someone was talking on their cell phone about personnel issues in their business loud enough for all within 5 feet to hear. I started to comment on what he was saying to my wife and the guy shot me dead with his scowling eyes.

I see it as he put it out there in the public square, the information is public and all are free to use it or talk about it. Am I becoming a grumpy old man or should people shut up and keep their conversation about whatever private?"

No, you're not. There's something inherently annoying about people talking on their cell phones. I don't want to hear their conversation for some reason. It's noise pollution. I simply and literally don't want to hear it. You're not grumpy for being annoyed with the annoying.
Old 09-04-18, 05:55 AM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
How's this for a grumpifying moment? I'm in the "12 items or less" lane behind a guy talking on his cellphone. He has another phone along with a pager clipped to his belt. He pays with an EBT card. But what chapped my tushie the most was that he had 15 items.
Old 09-04-18, 07:14 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Sorry but if you want serenity you shouldn’t be riding on public roads.
Some noise is unavoidable, but adding to it for personal reasons is contributing to noise pollution. Do what makes you happy, but please try to minimise effect on others. Your audio drug is no different than smoking in public.
Old 09-04-18, 07:31 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jag2857
No, you're not. There's something inherently annoying about people talking on their cell phones. I don't want to hear their conversation for some reason. It's noise pollution. I simply and literally don't want to hear it. You're not grumpy for being annoyed with the annoying.
What worse than listening to other people's phone calls is having to hear their "music". Phones playing music are pretty bad, but motorcycles with loud stereos can be extremely galling to be around, especially at signal lights that take forever to change. I can't believe those stereo are even legal. Where are the police when you need them?
Old 09-04-18, 11:16 AM
chelvel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The other day I was in the grocery store and someone was talking on their cell phone about personnel issues in their business loud enough for all within 5 feet to hear.
Some/many people can not control the loudness of their voices while speaking phone. Nothing to be done.
Old 09-04-18, 11:40 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
Skimming this thread I can't get the movie Network out of my head. Everyone go the window right now and yell "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!!". Of course, one has to be of a certain age to even remember the movie and quote: which is fittingly ironic and maybe even funnier!
Old 09-04-18, 02:17 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
Actually in the past I would see guys with the earset thing talking and gesturing wildly like a crazy person, but lately not so much. At least the younger set seem to mostly be thumbing away in total quiet.

Those of us in the 50+ forum know that real phone numbers are things like SUnset2-nnnn or GReenfield5-yyyy

scott s.

Nope. A real telephone number was something like 56300. 5 numbers, no letters.. Prior to that you had to turn the crank and tell the operator who you wanted to call.
Old 09-04-18, 03:08 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Some noise is unavoidable, but adding to it for personal reasons is contributing to noise pollution. Do what makes you happy, but please try to minimise effect on others. Your audio drug is
no different than smoking in public.
Yeah bro. 5 seconds of music that even at its highest volume is not as loud as each and every truck that drives by you every couple of moments on most roads is the same as cigarette smoke
Good stuff.
Old 09-04-18, 03:15 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10951 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 2,112 Posts
Originally Posted by slorollin
But what chapped my tushie the most was that he had 15 items.
Dang, that's inexcusable.

Old 09-04-18, 08:53 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by chelvel
Some/many people can not control the loudness of their voices while speaking phone. Nothing to be done.
Two types:

1) those that are mentally challenged (rare) and,
2) the low-class.

If you've ever noticed its always the people with the worse language skills and the most annoying voices. I don't know about you but I've never hear anyone that uses the Queen's English with a mellifluous announcer's voice talking loud enough to broadcast all their business to the public.

Noisy environments notwithstanding.
Old 09-04-18, 10:38 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Nope. A real telephone number was something like 56300. 5 numbers, no letters.. Prior to that you had to turn the crank and tell the operator who you wanted to call.
Gee, when I lived in a small village in Ghana we had single digit phone numbers. Circa 1974. Well, not me specifically but the school was 1, and the headmasters house was two etc. We had phone service at all since this was Kwame Nkruma’s home town. Calls came in to the “central office” which was a small room attached to the post office. The operator there would patch calls as required using her miniature switchboard. I never made a call in the two years I was there but the Bursar would be yelling into the school phone sometimes when I was walking by the office. Not sure how much communication, if any, was actually achieved.
Old 09-05-18, 04:49 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by slorollin
How's this for a grumpifying moment? I'm in the "12 items or less" lane behind a guy talking on his cellphone. He has another phone along with a pager clipped to his belt. He pays with an EBT card. But what chapped my tushie the most was that he had 15 items.
A common technique for going through the express items is to count multiple of the same item as one, thereby allowing the shopper to rationalize going through with, what others may perceive, as "too many items". So, for example, said shopper has 11 unique and different items but then also has four cans of corn (on sale for 4/$1.00). Since the store has consciously and explicitly grouped that quantity of 4 together, one can rationalize they count as 1 item. Therefore, said shopper may arguably say he, or she, has one unit of corn plus 11 other distinct units of other stuff thereby qualifying for the 12 items or less line. Another example is if corn on the cob is on sale for 12 ears/xxx dollars and the shopper purchases 12 ears of corn plus one box of toothpicks to be used after eating said corn on the cob, many shoppers would count that as, really, only two items, thereby qualifying for the 12 items or less express line.

I hope that explains the proper express line protocols.
Old 09-05-18, 05:03 AM
Colnago Mixte

Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
So is this two items?

Or one item since they get weighed together?

Or 8 items, since after all, eight bananas is eight bananas.

Old 09-05-18, 05:44 AM
chelvel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
T
If you've ever noticed its always the people with the worse language skills and the most annoying voices. I don't know about you but I've never hear anyone that uses the Queen's English with a mellifluous announcer's voice talking loud enough to broadcast all their business to the public.
"English-speaking people drinking german beer. Talking far too loud for their ears..."

It's old.
Old 09-05-18, 06:07 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
So is this two items?

Or one item since they get weighed together?

Or 8 items, since after all, eight bananas is eight bananas.

One rule: by-the-pound. Therefore, 1 banana or 10 is still one item. However, 10 bananas and 1 apple (or a bag of apples) are two items. While I'm at it, multiple items sold on sale, for example, my 12 bottles of Gatorade @ 0.57 cents/dozen, are also 1 item. On the other hand, same product but less than 12 are counted as separate items. Just for clarity, fifteen cans of peas is not 1 item.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.