Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale CAAD12 vs Trek ALR Emonda

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-18, 12:50 PM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Anyone compared these two when looking to buy? I am trying convince SWMBO that I really need a new bike and I am looking at these two. I can rent the Trek (though it will be an ALR 3 or 4) which I am planning on doing in the near future, but I also know the Cannondale is in high regard too. The models I am looking at are the 105 Disc braked versions of each.

Any thoughts or things I need to know that the marketing stuff on the Trek and Cannondale websites don't say I have looked at YouTube videos and folks with both of these seem to like them.

My local dealer sells both Trek and Cannondale which is good since I like them.
Old 09-09-18, 08:54 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Do you have much experience cycling? Very different geometry...CAAD12 racy, Emonda H2 friendly, almost endurance.
Both great bikes but geometry rules in terms of which you would appreciate most.
Old 09-09-18, 09:09 AM
FullSpeedAgain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale are Aluminium masters, you just won't find a better aluminium road bike, but personally I don't like how classic the frame look and the fact you like the bike is quite importance to motivate you get in it and ride it.
Old 09-09-18, 09:43 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Get the one that fits the best. If you don't know, get the one that looks the coolest. If you're broke, get the one that's cheapest.

Nothing else really matters in regards to those two frames.
Old 09-09-18, 07:06 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval

Geometry and weight differences are significant enough that it would matter to me. But OP should definitely test both since it sounds like they have access to test ride them both
Old 09-09-18, 07:16 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Geometry and weight differences are significant enough that it would matter to me. But OP should definitely test both since it sounds like they have access to test ride them both
Fit was the first criteria.

Weight is not significant. Not in a 105 equipped disc brake bike. Wrong ballpark, there.
Old 09-09-18, 07:44 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Fit was the first criteria.

Weight is not significant. Not in a 105 equipped disc brake bike. Wrong ballpark, there.
Sorry, you're correct. I thought there was a difference in frame weight but looks like they are pretty much equal
Old 09-09-18, 09:10 PM
fmilovanov

Bikes: Trek 1.2 2011 => Trek Emonda ALR 4 2017

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
voyager1, I concur with the others in this topic: go to your LBS, try both - and choose what you like more. These days similarly priced bikes offer similar experience, not one is better that another - it just comes to personal preference. Asking which to get is like asking what tastes better: steak of lemon pie. Some like steaks and some lemon pies

My personal preference is Emonda (actually, I own ALR4): they have lower standover, which is important for me, as I have short legs for my height. And I'll tell you: it's an excellent bike. When I ride it, it's like flying. But someone probably can tell the same about CAAD.
Old 09-09-18, 10:02 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Emonda is suppose to be a hill climb bike , so if you plan to do lots if hill go for that . caad id say are all rounders ....
Old 09-15-18, 05:05 PM
carlton

Bikes: canondale silk trail--92 schwinn criss cross--sun atlas x type--fugi odessa--2018 trek domane ALR5 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the one that fits the best. If you don't know, get the one that looks the coolest. If you're broke, get the one that's cheapest.

Good answer.
Old 09-15-18, 06:30 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a CAAD12

Be warned it's a very racy geometry. Many people ride them in Crits.

So if you want a bike you can ride centuries on, there are better choices.

Originally Posted by Campag4life
Do you have much experience cycling? Very different geometry...CAAD12 racy, Emonda H2 friendly, almost endurance.
Both great bikes but geometry rules in terms of which you would appreciate most.
Old 09-21-18, 09:35 AM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I test rode a CAAD12 and didn't find it anything special. For reference, at the time I was regularly riding my only bike, a Fuji Cross aluminum frame/carbon fork. But that's me, and not you. I think test riding is the best way to know as I thought the CAAD12 was going to be a perfect fit for me as every other factor fell sweetly into place but the moment I started riding it ... it just didn't speak to me. However, I got on a Kestrel Talon X a few weeks ago and from pretty much the first few pedal strokes realized this bike was for me, and bought that one. Full carbon, not disc brake but it felt so right that I had to buy it.

Test ride, see if the bike speaks to you, and if it doesn't, don't buy it. It's possible both bikes won't speak to you, in which case I wouldn't wouldn't buy either. There's tons of bikes out there in the $1500-2000 range and you'd be much better off on a bike that feels like it's connected to your soul rather than a bike you like on paper. I guess I'm lucky that I feel connected to both my bikes in spirit . Another thing to consider is the consistent reviews from people online speaking about squeaky bottom brackets on the Cannondales. Hambini did a few videos on this and evidently it's down to the tolerance in that area during manufacturing; Cannondale doesn't control their tolerances as well as other brands and it's somewhat likely you'll develop a creaky bottom bracket.
Old 09-21-18, 09:51 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
Be warned it's a very racy geometry. Many people ride them in Crits.

So if you want a bike you can ride centuries on, there are better choices.
Again, that depends on the individual. My CAAD12 is very comfortable for centuries - for me.