Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Am I just old, or what?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Am I just old, or what?

Old 10-26-18, 11:14 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
No, it's not that you're old. Age has nothing to do with your attitude. Just realize that your preconceptions have nothing to do with your new bike purchase. The LBS guy seemed a little weird because he couldn't figure out what your problem was. Just buy a bike which feels good on your test ride. You'll like it, probably way more than you have any idea of right now.
Old 10-27-18, 06:48 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
It seems like disk brakes are standard on any off the shelf bike these days. It isn't a matter of whether you need them, it's a matter of deciding whether the old style brakes offer an advantage that makes it worth reducing your field of choices.
Old 10-27-18, 09:03 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
I looked at the Trek Domaine on Trek's website. I got a bit of a nose bleed from the price but hey, it seems competitive with other bikes in its class.

At that price point, I would want a test ride for at least a day. My approach is to listen to the features and benefits and then discuss how I can take this bike out for a ride to experience it for myself and compare its performance with what I currently own.

I have another problem, not a luddite. I own a lot of high end wheels that create a legacy problem when switching to disc brakes. The wheels are useless if I purchase a road bike with disc brakes. And I have a time trial bike that shares race and training wheels with my road bike.

I have a tandem with a rear disc brake. It works well and stops the bike but is very noisy and I keep tweaking the brake to tune out the noise. During this year's Tour de France, the commentators noted the sound of the disc brakes engaging on descents. I hate noisy crap on bikes or cars. The Black Prince brake pads that I use on the Fast Forward wheel carbon rims with the enhanced braking surface are quiet and stop effectively. Having said that, I was at a cycling camp in Italy riding in the early morning fog and it was hilly. Everything was wet - me, glasses, bike and rims and the brakes worked but with reduced braking. So even if I do not intentionally ride in the rain, on wet roads or in fog, sometimes I am just into those conditions and disc brakes would be more effective.

I have a racing friend who has a bike with disc brakes and he claims that he can descend faster because he can brake later into a turn with confidence.

I used to go on group rides with a coach. He would follow us in his van and carry a set of wheels in case one of us got a flat. Now to get wheel support, there must be both disc and conventional wheels on board.

I think the advantage of age (not disadvantage) is that we have more experience and are in the position to use that experience to evaluate new value propositions and select what is best for us and use a salesman's pitch to provide the information as a point of departure.
Old 10-27-18, 09:28 AM
ed4406

Bikes: Fuji Finest, Trek 460, 970, Miyata One Ten, Maruishi 606, Univega Alpina Uno LX, Browning Grade V

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As long as hydraulic brakes weigh more than my Weinmann 500's, I can't get excited, as I would have to lose weight myself to offset it.
Old 10-27-18, 10:17 AM
NMHillclimber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
OK, no I wouldn't buy a car with drum brakes. I also wouldn't buy a mountain bike without them. But where and how I ride my road bike it's no advantage and I was looking to save a few bucks.

The sales guy was just being a sales guy. I understand that and marketing. As such I have no need for "this year's" model really.

I did ride the Emonda, Domane, a Synapse and looked at a Gunnar shop (nothing built) and went to Performance to look at Fuji's. The bikes I rode were all nice. The test ride is so different from how I ride at home I'm not sure I could really pick a favorite.

I ended up buying a 5 yr old Seven Axiom SLX w/ SRAM RED from a shop that serviced it before they sold it. Old school but sexy?
Old 10-27-18, 10:36 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Why are you shopping for a new bike?

If you are afraid you might be missing out on something you'll have to try out the newer features for yourself.
If you don't want to mess with the new stuff, look at a cheaper model or maybe your current bike is still adequate.
If you're trying to impress other people, save yourself the trouble. At best it's only going to work for one year because there will always be another new, shiny object next year.
Old 10-27-18, 11:36 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
My wife and I each bought a Domane last spring. While we really like the bikes, the hydraulic brakes are something I would not choose again. A few weeks ago we started out on a ride and my wife shouted over to me that she had no brakes on the rear wheel. The right brake lever depressed to the handlebar, so cancel the ride and off to the shop. the mechanic said that the rear wheel brake needed to be bled and we should leave the bike. Two days later we picked up the bike and found that the lever depression did not match that of the front brake. The mechanic adjusted the reach. The brake works fine but we were told that it might need bleeding again. In almost forty years of cycling I've never had a problem with rim brakes. I always adjusted them myself with no problem. Now we have very expensive bikes that might need periodic bleeding, a job that requires a few special tools and some learning or a trip to the bike shop. A big pain in the ass as far as I am concerned. I'd never choose hydraulic brakes again. As for discs, they stop the bike just like rim brakes do, that is, efficiently. No absolute need for them, but I do like the extra clearance for wider tires. We ride 32mm tires which we both like very well. So I'd get discs again, but not hydraulics.
Old 10-27-18, 01:34 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Making a universal decision on one bad example? Now I know you know better than that. Even someone new to cycling can recognize that there are good examples and bad examples of every product. Especially when its a relatively new technology.

Even at this stage its possible to find a bike with mushy poorly functional caliper brakes. What would you do then? There's just too many variable to consider to resort to such a knee-jerk reaction.
Old 10-27-18, 04:25 PM
k0guz

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, 2016 REI Mazama hybrid, 2023 Tern D7i folding bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Well, I'm 73, and when it was time to get a new road bike to supplement my 18 year old Bianchi steel frame (I could never replace it!), I ordered a Co-op from REI that has a great carbon fiber frame, good components and rims, and hydraulic disk brakes. I was dubious about the brakes, since nobody else I know has them, but that has become one of the main reasons I love it. The brakes take much less pressure to apply and are smoother and more precise than the cable disk brakes or rim brakes on my other two bikes. Going down the Colorado hills seems safer - my rims won't overheat and pop the tire, and the brakes don't fade coming down the Colorado National Monument. And of course it can stop on a dime. Don't automatically reject new technology. Sometimes it's better.

IMG_20180830_151056784 by Steve Carter, on Flickr

Last edited by k0guz; 10-27-18 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-27-18, 04:32 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The self-appointed critics in this thread are aware that the original form of rim brakes was an original form of the disc brakes system on bicycles, aren't they? Or are that religious in their belief that they have to categorise them as unsatisfactory drum brakes, which they are not? Maybe these people should stand for membership of the UCI management committee and ensure that the concept of bicycle disc brake is fully adopted even with the serious physical injury risk that it runs.
Old 10-27-18, 06:00 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeeze
I didn't know hydraulic disc brakes have been around for sixteen years.
Yes, they've been around that long and longer.
Old 10-27-18, 08:41 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
As I briefly mentioned in my other post, most people today, if they have "problems" with their hydraulic disc brakes on their bicycle, it is probably because of the manufacturer's cutting back on quality...
1; it is a cable actuated "hydraulic" disk brake, needs constant adjustment, not linear... so on...
2; it is a hydraulic disc brake but is an inferior type, has mineral oil instead of DOT3 brake fluid, freezes or boil's, it is a single piston type, it is just cheap lines connections and ends up leaking...
3; or it "can be the best" out there but the people who set it up fail in their job...

All I can say is millions of cars, trucks, and other equipment has hydraulic disc brake and brake failure is probably the last thing I have heard of that is causing any problems on any of those vehicles... and... that are way more punishing on the system than any bicycle could ever be... a 200Lbs + bicycle, stopping from lets say 30 MPH or 4,000Lbs + car/vehicle stopping from 60 MPH, stopping thousands of times during the year... over and over, That tells me quality is/probably is the "problem" manufacturer's dumbing down the system, not the system...
Old 10-27-18, 09:29 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
If wanting to buy a new bike that’s the same as the bike you have,
why you looking to buy a new bike.?

IMO
I’d want it have some of the new stuff
Old 10-28-18, 04:21 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
My wife and I each bought a Domane last spring. While we really like the bikes, the hydraulic brakes are something I would not choose again. A few weeks ago we started out on a ride and my wife shouted over to me that she had no brakes on the rear wheel. The right brake lever depressed to the handlebar, so cancel the ride and off to the shop. the mechanic said that the rear wheel brake needed to be bled and we should leave the bike. Two days later we picked up the bike and found that the lever depression did not match that of the front brake. The mechanic adjusted the reach. The brake works fine but we were told that it might need bleeding again. In almost forty years of cycling I've never had a problem with rim brakes. I always adjusted them myself with no problem. Now we have very expensive bikes that might need periodic bleeding, a job that requires a few special tools and some learning or a trip to the bike shop.
If your wife’s handle suddenly bottomed out, it needs something other than bleeding. More likely there’s a leak in the system. Hydraulic brakes shouldn’t require periodic bleeding.

Old 10-28-18, 12:56 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jackb
As for discs, they stop the bike just like rim brakes do, that is, efficiently.
That's the crux of the issue right there.

Disc don't always stop the way rim brakes do. You might never be in a situation where you notice but for many folks discs offer better performance than rim brakes.
Old 10-28-18, 12:59 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rowan
the concept of bicycle disc brake is fully adopted even with the serious physical injury risk that it runs.
Not sure if you're joking or just incredibly ignorant with a huge side portion of paranoia.
Old 10-28-18, 03:29 PM
Rowan

Originally Posted by ogmtb
Not sure if you're joking or just incredibly ignorant with a huge side portion of paranoia.
It 's only fairly recently that the UCI has allowed disc brakes to be used on road bikes in 2019. Are you aware of that?
Old 10-28-18, 04:06 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rowan
It 's only fairly recently that the UCI has allowed disc brakes to be used on road bikes in 2019. Are you aware of that?
I'm very aware of the fact that the UCI re-authorized disc brake usage in July (not 2019). I'm also very aware that disc brakes don't pose a "serious physical injury risk" as you claim.

Both of those understandings formed the foundation of my reply to you.

Thanks for confirming that you weren't joking. Yikes!
Old 10-28-18, 04:22 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I'm very aware of the fact that the UCI re-authorized disc brake usage in July (not 2019). I'm also very aware that disc brakes don't pose a "serious physical injury risk" as you claim.

Both of those understandings formed the foundation of my reply to you.

Thanks for confirming that you weren't joking. Yikes!
Doull claims Kittel's 'lethal' disc brake bike almost caused serious injury | Cyclingnews.com

Compton injured by disc brake rotor in Lille | Cyclingnews.com

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/...rs-horror-inj/

I could go on ... but I presume you know how to use Google.
Old 10-28-18, 04:29 PM
Rowan

My error in misreading the notification by the UCI about allowing disc brakes in its races from July. Unfortunately, the notification came in the same story that included a ban on Tramadol starting in 2019.

Do I care... not really. You can go with whatever you want. I will stick with the stuff I know and researched.
Old 10-28-18, 05:03 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Doull claims Kittel's 'lethal' disc brake bike almost caused serious injury | Cyclingnews.com (not caused by a disc)

Compton injured by disc brake rotor in Lille | Cyclingnews.com

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/...rs-horror-inj/ (Ventoso "welcomes" the return of disc brakes, team managers disputed his claim that a disc caused his injury)

I could go on ... but I presume you know how to use Google.
Yeah, isn't Google great?

You can even find up to date information, like this:

"Safety: Lack of Injuries Calm Sharp Edge Concerns

WorldTour riders have been highly critical about disc brakes, voicing concerns of sharp-edged rotors in crashes. But to the extent that discs have been used, the fears haven’t borne out. There have been just a handful of crashes where riders allege that disc brakes caused an injury and in two of them—Francisco Ventoso’s crash in the 2016 Paris-Roubaix and Owain Doull’s crash at last year’s Tour of Abu Dhabi—official review found no evidence that discs caused their injuries (video from Doull’s crash suggests it was a fence). And no, discs will not really cut a shoe (a contention made by Sky's Owain Doull after a crash in last year's Abu Dhabi Tour left a slice in his left shoe; experiments have shown that highly unlikely).

At the same time, there’s been only halting progress on fixes that would address safety concerns. The UCI now requires rotors to have a rounded edge profile. But rotor covers are still not required (or used even voluntarily). But gradually, disc brakes are being used in races without catastrophic results, which is blunting the safety criticisms."
(https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...o-racing-2018/)

I'm glad that I live in a world where a few injuries (among millions of miles ridden and raced with discs) don't equal a "serious physical injury risk"

Last edited by ogmtb; 10-28-18 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-28-18, 07:12 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
The whole attitude of this salesperson is completely off putting to me and I would have left and gone to another shop. But then again, when I head into a bike shop (or a car dealer), I pretty much know what I want and what I don't want in a new purchase. The bike in my avatar was purchased earlier this year. The salesperson/shop owner just helped direct me to a manufacturer/model that met my needs and price range.
This guy sounds like he graduated (or got fired) from a car dealer. Just tell him No like Nancy Reagan said, and of course be kind to elderly single speeds.
Old 10-28-18, 07:27 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Disk brakes causing injuries... Ha Ha, Ha, Sooo funny...
Old 10-28-18, 10:57 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
I'm glad that I live in a world where a few injuries (among millions of miles ridden and raced with discs) don't equal a "serious physical injury risk"
I'm happy that you live in that world too.

I'm also sure you're glad you live in a world where a few people taken by sharks don't equal any sort of danger from sharks.

Old 10-28-18, 11:08 PM
ogmtb
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
I'm happy that you live in that world too.

I'm also sure you're glad you live in a world where a few people taken by sharks don't equal any sort of danger from sharks.
That kind of false equivalency is nonsensical.

FWIW, I haven’t seen anyone in this thread claim that there isn’t “any sort of danger” from discs. Rather, the recent discussion has been about “Rowan” ‘s Chicken Little claim that discs pose a "serious physical injury risk"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.