Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New way for me to enjoy riding.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 06:13 PM
bikecopp

Bikes: Rivendell Hunqapillar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post

Been out of the riding scene for a while. Up at 230 lbs and need to get down to 200-205. I haven’t really had much motivation to ride as it was getting boring and riding for the last 10 years on the road has concerned me with drivers not paying attention while texting or on their phones. So today we got a nice 72 degree day and I grab my daughter when I got home from work and told her let’s go for a ride on the greenway. As I’m heading out I remember to grab a Bluetooth speaker I got at Walmart for 10.00 over Christmas. I threw it in my handlebar bag with spotify and played one of my playlists. It was an extremely enjoyable ride and the time flew by. We managed 16 miles in about an hour. I don’t like using earphones because it restricts your hearing but this thing work perfectly. I highly recommend you try it.
Old 02-06-19, 11:22 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Good on you for getting back in the saddle. Next time, ditch the speaker and enjoy the quiet.
Jon
Old 02-08-19, 07:49 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
Good on you for getting back in the saddle. Next time, ditch the speaker and enjoy the quiet.
Jon
i agree. Plus i hate hearing others music.
Old 02-08-19, 11:43 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Get a stereo to mono ear bud. Leaves an ear for the other sounds.
Old 02-09-19, 12:07 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
Jon
Originally Posted by jbell_64
i agree. Plus i hate hearing others music.

Nobody asked either of you. You're both completely entitled to go enjoy the silence together, or separately.

If some tunes on the ride helped improve the OP's experience, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. More power to him.

So I say unto you both,

Old 02-09-19, 04:36 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecopp
Been out of the riding scene for a while. Up at 230 lbs and need to get down to 200-205. I haven’t really had much motivation to ride as it was getting boring and riding for the last 10 years on the road has concerned me with drivers not paying attention while texting or on their phones. So today we got a nice 72 degree day and I grab my daughter when I got home from work and told her let’s go for a ride on the greenway. As I’m heading out I remember to grab a Bluetooth speaker I got at Walmart for 10.00 over Christmas. I threw it in my handlebar bag with spotify and played one of my playlists. It was an extremely enjoyable ride and the time flew by. We managed 16 miles in about an hour. I don’t like using earphones because it restricts your hearing but this thing work perfectly. I highly recommend you try it.
Good for you.
My UEBOOM2 speaker goes with me on every ride. I put it in my bottle cage and play it loud. Anyone that doesn’t want to hear it for the few brief seconds they may encounter me on the road should maybe stay at home and ride on rollers in their basement.
Old 02-09-19, 06:44 AM
jbell_64

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Nobody asked either of you. You're both completely entitled to go enjoy the silence together, or separately.

If some tunes on the ride helped improve the OP's experience, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. More power to him.

So I say unto you both,

how can people who want to enjoy their silence do so if everyone else is blasting music? I do what i enjoy, as long as that isn't negatively impacting others. If everyone would NOT think their happiness is more important than anyone else's, we'd all be better off. Not to mention, the more you can hear, the safer you are.
Old 02-09-19, 09:13 AM
downhillmaster

how can people who want to enjoy their silence do so if everyone else is blasting music? I do what i enjoy, as long as that isn't negatively impacting others. If everyone would NOT think their happiness is more important than anyone else's, we'd all be better off. Not to mention, the more you can hear, the safer you are.
If you are riding on the road other people’s music/noise is fleeting at best so a non-issue. And certainly nothing compared to the noise of motor vehicles.
If you are riding on a MUP and are complaining about the habits/presence of other riders shame on you.
Old 02-09-19, 10:49 AM
jbell_64

Originally Posted by downhillmaster

If you are riding on the road other people’s music/noise is fleeting at best so a non-issue. And certainly nothing compared to the noise of motor vehicles.
If you are riding on a MUP and are complaining about the habits/presence of other riders shame on you.
mup LOL we don't have those. Charity rides and group rides are where i encounter it mostly. Someone is going to say if i don't like it then don't go on those rides. My answer is that i pretty much have.
Old 02-09-19, 12:17 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I have not yet reached the advanced age at which I am upset by the volume or content of music coming out of any club, disco, lounge, house basement or block party, bicycle, car stereo, stoop, or at any other social gathering, so anyone playing said music should feel free to allow the beat to continue, and listen to more of what they like.
Old 02-09-19, 04:23 PM
downhillmaster

mup LOL we don't have those. Charity rides and group rides are where i encounter it mostly. Someone is going to say if i don't like it then don't go on those rides. My answer is that i pretty much have.
I agree with you that charity and group rides aren’t the best place for anyone to be blaring music.
Old 02-09-19, 04:40 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Last year I was riding on the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP). I had stopped at the Mason Dixon Line park. Where this couple blaring their country music on a speaker rode by. I mean really loud. Was annoyed, that the ride was meant to be a quiet peaceful time away from the city and it's noises.

Five minutes later, another couple rode by blaring their rap music. Really loud. (I'm not joking or making this up).

So much for peace and quiet in the countryside.....but then I realized....what a great way to let the bears know you are there and to scare them off!
Old 02-10-19, 01:31 AM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm probably in the minority and I'm not condoning it but I cycle with earbuds in and music blaring. If I come to a busy roundabout or something I might take one out to hear what's going on but it won't be for long. It's more important for me to get out on the bike. I'll cycle more with music than without.
Old 02-10-19, 03:10 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I have no problem with YOU listening to YOUR music. It's a brand-new invention called EAR BUDS. Use them. We'll both be happy campers--you can have your tunes and the rest of us can have quiet. A win-win for every body.
Jon
Old 02-10-19, 03:50 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by breadbin
I'm probably in the minority and I'm not condoning it but I cycle with earbuds in and music blaring. If I come to a busy roundabout or something I might take one out to hear what's going on but it won't be for long. It's more important for me to get out on the bike. I'll cycle more with music than without.
my brother is the same way. He digs it, and it’s his choice. Does it London traffic too.

not my thing, but I do prefer it to speakers on the bike. I get the safety thing though