Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Itís hard to beat classics.

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-30-19, 08:36 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ive tried to like the new modern bikes, but I keep coming back to the classics. Looking forward to getting this one loaded up.

Old 05-30-19, 10:33 AM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Any plans for fenders?
Old 05-30-19, 10:38 AM
sloar 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fenders for when I actually tour, but not for everyday riding. I don’t like fenders and I don’t like riding in the rain.
Old 05-30-19, 11:29 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6833 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 178 Posts
So not actually going anywhere touring, on it .. ? but you did find a nice bike..
Old 05-30-19, 11:51 AM
sloar 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
So not actually going anywhere touring, on it .. ? but you did find a nice bike..
Fenders will be installed before the tour. I will not leave them on for everyday rides. I do plan on a couple tours this summer. Being a firefighter gives me plenty of time to tour and also Iím able to shack up at other fire stations.
Old 05-30-19, 07:48 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
looks like a nice old tourer. have fun with it.
Old 05-31-19, 12:05 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Nice bike! I love 80s steel for daily commuters and "race" bikes. That one looks like it's in great condition.

Is that an ARX rear derailer? I didn't like the cable clamp style on those. Can't quite tell from the picture. And are those the shifters that auto-trim the front derailer when you shift the rear? Those were neat. Again, nice bike.
Old 05-31-19, 03:15 AM
delbiker1 

Bikes: 1991 Ochsner steel frame, 2002 Airborne Zeppelin titanium, Schwinn DBX SS aluminum, Orbea MD 40 carbon fiber

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Nice bike. Enjoy and be safe.
Old 05-31-19, 06:22 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar View Post
Ive tried to like the new modern bikes, but I keep coming back to the classics. Looking forward to getting this one loaded up.

for some reason can't see the pic...
What do you consider modern? The new endurance bikes from the past two years are a game changer from what I hear
Old 05-31-19, 09:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1235 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I think that is the old Suntour Le Tech front derailleur. I really liked that derailleur, it is high normal. Thus, both levers go the same direction, forward for higher gearing and back for lower. I use that on one of my touring bikes and I would use it on more bikes if it would fit. But some of my bikes have too little room between the rear fender and seattube for that derailleur to fit in the space.

Don't load it up too much, the smaller diameter down tube on the older classic bikes could mean a lot of frame flex with a load.

Always make sure your front brake cable is always in good shape. Without a fender, the straddle cable on the front could catch the front tire and lock up the wheel.
Old 05-31-19, 01:05 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Centurion Pro Tour does not have long chainstays (1979 had 430mm CS), large squarish rear bags may not work without heel-strike, especially for large bicyclists. Extra-long JandD Expedition rack may be good choice.
Old 06-01-19, 08:08 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
When loading older sport touring bikes, I like carrying as much weight up front as feasible. Cuts down on frame flexing. Also, your rear rack shown may not be stable under heavy load (side to side flex) and it's possible you may have heel strike with larger rear panniers. Front rack and four smaller front panniers may work for you.

Beautiful bike, nice ride. Enjoy !
Old 06-02-19, 12:08 PM
NoControl 
Look Ma! No Hands!

Bikes: Troll, Raleigh Twenty, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Nice find! I'm a sucker for old Japanese steel, and I have a hoard of Miyatas, Centurions, Univegas, Bridgestones, and a Panasonic here or there.

"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending" -C.S. Lewis

"Sobriety sucks." -Me
Old 06-03-19, 07:44 AM
djb

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts
nice older bike but as someone who toured and rode on a similar, slightly newer generation of touring bike, I certainly appreciate the advantages of "new" bikes.

less flexy frames, more gears so a wider spread and tighter jumps between shifts with no real life change in chain life (for me anyway), better brakes generally-even with cantis but especially with discs, bearing areas that are more robust and longer lasting and easier to work on headsets, bb's, stronger rim designs also.

and as someone still completely comfortable using dt shifters and still fast at multifinger right hand front and rear shifts at almost the same time, modern shifting units are simply nice to use and the safety/handling advantages of shifting while having your hands on the hoods is great.

but again, nice bike
enjoy riding it.