Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon EEZZ

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Dahon EEZZ

Old 08-05-16, 09:30 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I am interested in this bike, Eezz D3. I'm trying to find reviews for this bike. I think there is one from someone in Singapore and one from Italy. Other than that, not much else except for sites in Japan and Korea I think.

A couple of things I notice when compared to Brompton (I have no bikes at present. This will be my first purchase). Unfolded, it will not stand (unless a kick stand is installed.)

Can you roll using the front wheel? Also can you attach perhaps a small wheel on the bottom of the seat post in order to roll it? Seems like there are screws there.

I'm trying to figure out how to attached a rack for a small bag. A small post or hook or carabiner on the seat post? Something that can remain even when folded yet secure/stable enough for backpack while cycling.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-16, 10:51 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
one speed is available in the US .... finally again
Old 08-08-16, 11:17 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by dahoneezz
I am interested in this bike, Eezz D3. I'm trying to find reviews for this bike. I think there is one from someone in Singapore and one from Italy. Other than that, not much else except for sites in Japan and Korea I think.
Yes, it looks like Dahon sold a grand total of… two in the whole world.
Old 08-08-16, 07:07 PM
dahoneezz

I found this (Eezz electric motor mod) :

DAHON EEZZ **********?? - BoozeRidez Blog

If I google "Eezz review", I don't get much. One Singaporean blog on the Eezz D3, another Italian blog on the single speed Eezz. What I do is google image search Eezz. Then when a particular image of interest appears, I click on the link to see the site. What is interesting is there are a lot of Japanese, Koreans, some Thailand sites etc.

Is Dahon releasing the Eezz in the Japan market first, i.e., test market? Or is the Eezz targeted towards asian markets? I would like to read more on this bike (in English, don't know Japanese, Korean) before I buy it. :-)

Also I've seen a video of the Jifo where the user shows that he is rolling it on its tires. I assume this can be done on the Eezz too. Yeah its 9kg light, but thats like carrying two sacks of rice and I would rather not if I can avoid it.

This one, a Japanese blog detailing the installation of a kick stand:

https://blog.an-giken.com/2015/09/eezz-0bcf.html

Can you get this on Ebay? Make and model?

Last edited by dahoneezz; 08-08-16 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-24-16, 01:23 AM
dahoneezz

https://momentummag.com/dahon-eezz-folding-bike-review/

Yea ... another review.

I saw someone trying to fold the Eezz. Looks like its wasn't easy.
Old 08-28-16, 10:28 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
It's all in one's technique (beginning @2:09):

Old 08-28-16, 03:57 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts
I've never seen an EEZZ on the road over here.

Are they only sold in Asia?
Old 08-28-16, 09:38 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
https://momentummag.com/dahon-eezz-folding-bike-review/

Yea ... another review.

I saw someone trying to fold the Eezz. Looks like its wasn't easy.

Its ok once you get the hang of it.
But a typical folding bike of the same size is easier to fold imo.

I have mixed feelings about the fold in the end.
Its a new approach, but it does not really bring much of an advantage.
No smaller fold, no stiffer joint, not simpler to fold.

Originally Posted by Winfried
I've never seen an EEZZ on the road over here.

Are they only sold in Asia?
Its common enough in the shop that deals with folders here.

In the end, after getting a Java X1 Auto and CRIUS Smart 3.0, and trying the Eezz, my conclusion is that other than the better build, it does not bring much to the table.
The gearing span is very low and the upgrade path of the gearing is none/low.
Not cheap too.
Likes For pinholecam:
Old 11-16-16, 03:01 AM
NatNitsuj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I found this (Eezz electric motor mod) :

DAHON EEZZ **********?? - BoozeRidez Blog

Is Dahon releasing the Eezz in the Japan market first, i.e., test market? Or is the Eezz targeted towards asian markets? I would like to read more on this bike (in English, don't know Japanese, Korean) before I buy it. :-)

Also I've seen a video of the Jifo where the user shows that he is rolling it on its tires. I assume this can be done on the Eezz too. Yeah its 9kg light, but thats like carrying two sacks of rice and I would rather not if I can avoid it.

This one, a Japanese blog detailing the installation of a kick stand:

EEZZ**********: metro**********

Can you get this on Ebay? Make and model?
I think it's only officially available in asian markets. As I said in my initial impressions on page 1 of this thread (and in my one and only post in this forum), I wouldn't bother with this bike if I was taller than 5ft10 or weighed more than 75kg. Because of this, it makes sense to target the Asian market as the majority of people in that market fits that limit whereas a almost all western market men wouldn't.

I find the fold easy and fast if you know how; you don't push into the ground but more lift and push into itself. Think of it like you're standing back from doing the splits (as far as you could anyway). You don't plant both your feet and dig into the ground as you bring your feet together, you're more lifting your centre upwards.

I haven't worked out how to roll on it's tires to the point I wouldn't rather carry it. Folded, the tires are not vertical to the ground, they are slightly cambered inwards in a /\ shape which makes it difficult to roll straight. It is 9kg though, so I just carry it off the ground and if you get a carry back so you can put the load across your shoulder/back it's even less of an effort.

It does fold as narrow as a brompton but the height is definitely taller than a brompton. Smaller than any other non brompton.
I can't comment on the joint/hinge durability. Haven't had the bike long enough. Theoretically a vertical fold should have less issues than a horizontal because downward force on a bike will be fairly constant unless you're doing jumps.

I don't think there's any holes for a kickstand. I never looked into it because I just fold it down every time or lean it against a wall every time I park it.

The gearing is verrrry limited though. In Japan nearly everyone has either a mamachari or a folding bike, but that folding bike will be a 20" like a boardwalk, route, horise. There's no need for a super small and light fold, the demand is just for a small enough fold so you can store it somewhere in your tiny apartment. I see more dahon dashes than <=16" dahons.
Likes For NatNitsuj:
Old 11-18-16, 02:44 AM
dahoneezz

Thank you for your reply. I really liked the Eezz, especially the beautiful hydroformed tubing, but having to carry instead of rolling it off train stations is a no no for me. (Old creaky bones. )
Old 02-24-17, 12:46 AM
smallfish18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for your reply. I really liked the Eezz, especially the beautiful hydroformed tubing, but having to carry instead of rolling it off train stations is a no no for me. (Old creaky bones. )
I own a Dahon eezz D3 and this can be easily roll without carry them. Yes the wheel is at /\ shape when folded but u can balance the bike and roll with only 1 wheel.

i'm experimenting another way of rolling by install a minoura double bottle cage adapter, install a caster at the adapter instead of water bottle and this should be easier in rolling.

The only downside of this bike is it's so new and odd for most of the components. The seatpost come in an odd size (30mm) and the biggest chainring can take only 41t. the chain will rub the frame when it's more than 41t.
Likes For smallfish18:
Old 02-24-17, 01:22 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
$1,100 really?

Geez, $1,100 for an Eezz? I wouldn't buy one. For 36% the price of an Eezz, I'd get a FSIR Spin instead.
Old 02-24-17, 03:05 AM
leoho5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smallfish18
I own a Dahon eezz D3 and this can be easily roll without carry them. Yes the wheel is at /\ shape when folded but u can balance the bike and roll with only 1 wheel.

i'm experimenting another way of rolling by install a minoura double bottle cage adapter, install a caster at the adapter instead of water bottle and this should be easier in rolling.

The only downside of this bike is it's so new and odd for most of the components. The seatpost come in an odd size (30mm) and the biggest chainring can take only 41t. the chain will rub the frame when it's more than 41t.
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your input on rolling the EEZZ. I like the bike.
Old 02-26-17, 08:47 PM
smallfish18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, this is a really nice bicycle. Nice fold and size.
Lucky that in Malaysia we got a much cheaper price. Cost me around RM2800, around 750USD.
Old 02-28-17, 11:20 PM
chesky

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found out an English review of the Dahon EEZZ, hope it helps

Old 12-04-17, 06:50 PM
dahoneezz

New 2018 Eezz (pic from Rakuten). Has trigger shifter. Different color scheme. I think the Eezz is a much prettier bike than the Curl. If only they increase the size a bit, wheels a lil bigger, frame a smidge longer.
Likes For dahoneezz:
Old 12-04-17, 08:07 PM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
What's the gearing? I think it's a great candidate for a lightweight bike but previous years' gearing were too tough for me.

Also wonder why it has the same vertical fold as the Qix8 but it doesn't roll while latter does. Is simply because of the rack and roller wheel?

Last edited by tdonline; 12-04-17 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-05-17, 01:25 AM
dahoneezz

Front 39T (same)

Rear (old) 9/10/11
I based this on the review below ...
www.skye-ventures.com/main/dahon-eezz-d3-owner-review/

but looking at the Dahon site, it states 9/11/13 for the grey gunmetal/green model (2017).

Rear (new) 9/11/13

Another thing I notice is that the video review above by Bikefolded, show the Eezz (grey gunmetal)with trigger shifter, not twist grip. Also the grips are like foam grip, not the Ergon like grip.

Last edited by dahoneezz; 12-05-17 at 07:20 AM.
Likes For dahoneezz:
Old 12-05-17, 05:11 PM
L Arnold
**thusi*st

Bikes: Specialized Touring Expedition '1984, Volagi Liscio, Dahon Visc D18, Dahon Visc SL, Schwinn Moab

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tdonline
What's the gearing? I think it's a great candidate for a lightweight bike but previous years' gearing were too tough for me.

Also wonder why it has the same vertical fold as the Qix8 but it doesn't roll while latter does. Is simply because of the rack and roller wheel?
The gearing on the Gunmetal Grey EEZZ's in the USA is very capable. My wife and I have done some mini weekend rides together and she was doing the hills and flats with aplomb.

The difference in the fold of the EEZZ and the Qix is that the EEZZ has a telescoping seatpost which in turn engages the hinging chainstay and drop bar frame aspects of the EEZZ. In the Qix it is a single seatpost that does drop, but no further.

The EEZZ really gets small because of the seatpost / hinge aspect. Smaller wheels too of course.
The Qix has the value of being able to easily roll while folded.

Both bikes have fast and competent folds to be sure. EEZZ (and single speed Jifo) in stock now. Current pricing is really nice on them also.
Likes For L Arnold:
Old 12-05-17, 11:27 PM
MJBikes99

Bikes: Trek Domane, Dahon EEZZ, Brompton

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sold around 20 EEZZ in past several years. It is really a great folding bike, the vertical folding mechanism and compact size, lightweight frame, all these features make it a perfect folding bike. You can bring it to anywhere, on the bus, subway, plane etc.
Old 12-06-17, 07:56 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Geez, $1,100 for an Eezz?
Ten months later, under $700.
Likes For tcs:
Old 12-06-17, 08:57 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tcs
Ten months later, under $700.
its more like $ 888
and the reason is that Dahon USA has way to many different models in their warehouse. Dahon is taking a pretty big hit with the Winter or Icy Hot sale to their dealers.
Many other bikes have similar special pricing, most of them will be discontinued in 2018.
Our program is convoluted to a point where it id super difficult for the dealer to pick the right bike and super confusing to the consumer as well.
Having 4 Visc models for example is bloody ludicrous One with DIsc brakes, ok but another one wit V brakes and fenders and carrier and another one without, plus a 16 inch model ( super nice but really ? )

We will concentrate on the bikes we sell big quantities and it may not be as sexy as the Visc 16 SL but we rather use our energy to make small improvements on those.

Than have maybe one or two attention getters down the road ... instead of very similar 10 bikes ....

Meaning, if you want a Jiffo, Eezz, quix, mu ex, mu sl , mu lt 10 you better get it now, when they are gone there will be no more

thor
Likes For ThorUSA:
Old 12-06-17, 09:07 AM
tdonline

Originally Posted by L Arnold
The gearing on the Gunmetal Grey EEZZ's in the USA is very capable. My wife and I have done some mini weekend rides together and she was doing the hills and flats with aplomb.
Well, I'm not going to incriminate myself for having a crappy engine...

The EEZZ has a 39 chainring right? The gear inches I got for 9/11/13 is 58, 48 and 40 rounded. That 40 isn't granny enough for me unfortunately. My road bike's granny gear is about 29 and 33 on the Dahon D7. I can't go up steep hills on the Dahon.

Last edited by tdonline; 12-06-17 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-06-17, 09:15 AM
tdonline

Wow, Thor spilling some inside news there. Though not surprising--there have always been comments about how it's difficult to distinguish Dahon bikes. Daunting in particular for those new to folders.

Is a very lightweight compact bike in Dahon's new streamlined line-up?
Old 12-06-17, 10:25 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
its more like $ 888
and the reason is that Dahon USA has way to many different models in their warehouse. Dahon is taking a pretty big hit with the Winter or Icy Hot sale to their dealers.
Many other bikes have similar special pricing, most of them will be discontinued in 2018.
Our program is convoluted to a point where it id super difficult for the dealer to pick the right bike and super confusing to the consumer as well.
Having 4 Visc models for example is bloody ludicrous One with DIsc brakes, ok but another one wit V brakes and fenders and carrier and another one without, plus a 16 inch model ( super nice but really ? )

We will concentrate on the bikes we sell big quantities and it may not be as sexy as the Visc 16 SL but we rather use our energy to make small improvements on those.

Than have maybe one or two attention getters down the road ... instead of very similar 10 bikes ....

Meaning, if you want a Jiffo, Eezz, quix, mu ex, mu sl , mu lt 10 you better get it now, when they are gone there will be no more

thor
That's good news, Thor, I've never understood the miasma of similar Dahon models. It's ridiculous when shopping for new, and even worse sorting through them on the used market.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.