Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

In need of another wheel "FIX"..!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

In need of another wheel "FIX"..!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 12:31 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist

Here's how not to have too many wheelsets: A pickup truck plowed into me a couple of months ago as I was riding on the Palos Verdes Peninsula (an awesome location for cycling in the Los Angels area). The crash ruined the front wheel of a super lightweight set of wheels I'd purchased for my own Émonda. Luckily for me, no broken bones. The Émonda didn't fare so well.
OMG ... I'm just noticing this. That's in my hood! If you don't mind me asking, where did that happen?

Old 04-28-17, 02:31 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
OMG ... I'm just noticing this. That's in my hood! If you don't mind me asking, where did that happen?
Hi, BIKER395. As long as it's in your hood and not in your hood, I can answer your question ;-)

I was on Palos Verdes Drive North and I'd Just crossed Colt Road when the driver of the pickup truck at the stop sign at Colt turned right, hitting me from the right, rear.
Old 04-28-17, 06:14 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on a set of 454's today. I was on the fence until I managed to wrangle out a pretty sweet deal that gave me no choice. Still expensive by any measure but got $600.00 off the list price. I should have them by Wednesday. I know they'll be right at home on my Dogma. At least I'll look fast.
Old 05-01-17, 09:22 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony G
If I'm ever fit enough that new carbon wheels and a new carbon bike would be the best thing I could change to go faster, I'll be a happy guy. Right now it is to change how fat I am :-)
Tony if you see my picture above i weigh just about 151lbs max. 8 years ago i was 265+ lbs and with a big time WANT TO and DESIRE I shed 115 plus lbs in just about 7 months with nothing but good old fashion discipline. By the way I am 63 years old now and when i started my "NEW LIFE STYLE" I was 55.5 years old. How big is your "WANT TO"..? it can be done as i did it.. NOPE no stomach stapling or what ever they call that just a huge desire..Went from 44 trousers to 31's..Its not for the faint at heart or those whom would not want to change the life for the better..
Old 05-01-17, 09:24 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Originally Posted by TCR Rider
I just pulled the trigger on a set of 454's today. I was on the fence until I managed to wrangle out a pretty sweet deal that gave me no choice. Still expensive by any measure but got $600.00 off the list price. I should have them by Wednesday. I know they'll be right at home on my Dogma. At least I'll look fast.

TCR DID you get your new lovely new wheel set yet? Wait till you see these bad boys..
Old 05-01-17, 10:21 AM
TCR Rider

Originally Posted by trekmogul
TCR DID you get your new lovely new wheel set yet? Wait till you see these bad boys..
Not yet They're supposed to be arriving on Wed. 5/3. I have to admit it's a bit like a kid waiting for Christmas. I'll post pix when I get them. Just cleaned up the bike and serviced the headset so she's good to go for the inaugural ride and photo shoot.
Old 05-01-17, 11:51 AM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by TCR Rider
Not yet They're supposed to be arriving on Wed. 5/3. I have to admit it's a bit like a kid waiting for Christmas. I'll post pix when I get them. Just cleaned up the bike and serviced the headset so she's good to go for the inaugural ride and photo shoot.
I have had my set out a few times in really nice weather so that i don't pick up no crappy stuff on them yet..! I am using Vitoria Corsa Speed+ Graphite Tires . The price you paid must be the normal discount as that is what i paid for mine also.

Today may1st my new Reynolds RZR92 Tubular Wheels arrive about 3pm at my LBS and will have my paws on them as soon as they arrive as when i am don't typing this, i am headed over to wait for the UPS Driver.. I really need to stop buying wheel sets..!
Old 05-01-17, 02:36 PM
trekmogul 

REYNOLDS RZR92 Wheel Set Tubular

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg
Old 05-01-17, 05:06 PM
TCR Rider

First of all how did the 454's feel? Was there any noticeable difference with the cognition hubs?
Next question, how many sets of wheels do you have? BTW the Reynolds look sweet.
Old 05-02-17, 09:38 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Some of those wheels look like they'd be a little iffy in a crosswind...
Old 05-03-17, 05:55 AM
trekmogul 

Trek Equinox 9.9SSL Red Carbon

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

One of the very first bikes I have ever purchased when i still was fat and overweight but bought it because i love the color.. Top of the line Trek TT Bike with SRAM RED