Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bicyclists v. motorists ends in violence in Albuquerque

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-18, 08:51 AM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

'Michael Gallegos and his son were riding bikes in the North Valley Tuesday afternoon when two men in a pickup almost hit them. Words were exchanged. Then the men in the truck beat and stabbed the father and son multiple times, according to police.'

https://www.abqjournal.com/1247047/a...ing-fight.html
Old 11-16-18, 11:54 AM
astrodust

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
It's best not to confront idiots on the road. Get a license plate number, make and model, then report it.
Old 11-16-18, 11:56 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Hopefully they will get long jail sentences.
Old 11-16-18, 12:52 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Don't bring a bicycle to a truck fight.
Old 11-16-18, 12:55 PM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by astrodust
It's best not to confront idiots on the road. Get a license plate number, make and model, then report it.
Yeah sure
They should have given a friendly wave and said nothing after almost getting run over.
What a useless and insensitive comment!! Sigh

I sincerely hope they recover quickly from their injuries. I also hope they don't suffer any physiological issues going forward, as is often the case in such attacks.
Old 11-16-18, 01:23 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Always ride with a helmet-cam.
Old 11-16-18, 01:36 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
But concealed carry would trump knife and bat. There is a paradox with that though, in that you wouldn't yell at the driver to begin with because you cannot use the weapon if you instigate the confrontation.
Old 11-16-18, 01:56 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
white truck
Old 11-16-18, 02:00 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
"disable your ad blocker to continue"

Nope

I learned my lesson about talking **** to truck drivers a long time ago. Hung a bird right though the guys window just in front of his trailer park trash girlfriends face, nearly got run over, did get run off the road, and got to pick gravel out of my knee for a while. Nope. Ignore. Ride on.

I love the ignorant comment about reporting, like the cops will give two (craps) about that. The truly helpful comment was about a helmet cam.
Old 11-16-18, 02:31 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
But concealed carry would trump knife and bat. There is a paradox with that though, in that you wouldn't yell at the driver to begin with because you cannot use the weapon if you instigate the confrontation.
One could argue that the confrontation began when the vehicle turned around.

Vehicle passes too close (unfortunate they chose to do that, but no harm done)
Cyclists shout out their disapproval (unwise they chose to do that, but no harm done)
Both vehicle and cyclists could have continued on their way without further interaction (no harm to either party) but the driver made the conscious effort to turn the vehicle around and initiate contact. I suspect the thugs are familiar with the criminal justice system. If so, I hope they're sentenced accordingly.

-Kedosto
Old 11-16-18, 03:52 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto

Cyclists shout out their disapproval (unwise they chose to do that, but no harm done)
Both vehicle and cyclists could have continued on their way without further interaction (no harm to either party) but the driver made the conscious effort to turn the vehicle around and initiate contact. I suspect the thugs are familiar with the criminal justice system. If so, I hope they're sentenced accordingly.

-Kedosto
One COULD argue that, but you don't want to be having that discussion where you might well lose the argument. The legal downside is too steep, even worse if you have to use it. Therefore, for mentally stable and responsible adults, the fact that you are CC means that you never instigate, nor even seem to instigate. They will be exaggeratedly polite most of the time. Citizens I mean, not cops.

That's what I was getting at by "paradox": if you are adequately protected from that sort of attack, it probably didn't happen in the first place.
Old 11-16-18, 04:26 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

One COULD argue that, but you don't want to be having that discussion where you might well lose the argument. The legal downside is too steep, even worse if you have to use it. Therefore, for mentally stable and responsible adults, the fact that you are CC means that you never instigate, nor even seem to instigate. They will be exaggeratedly polite most of the time. Citizens I mean, not cops.

That's what I was getting at by "paradox": if you are adequately protected from that sort of attack, it probably didn't happen in the first place.
So true. The whole thing is sad. At least it sounds like the father/son will recover. But, they'll never be the same.

-Kedosto
Old 11-16-18, 05:12 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
'Michael Gallegos and his son were riding bikes...when...a pickup almost hit them. Words were exchanged.
Somebody driving a motor vehicle almost hits me weekly. If Words were exchanged every time I would certainly have been shot by now.

Whenever you ride a bike in traffic there is a long list of things you should EXPECT to happen out there. Close passes are in the Top 3, if not #1 on the list. If they did it on purpose, a reaction is what they WANT. If you didn't already know this, know it now, accept it, make peace with it, or surely your ride will be frustrating if not deadly.

In other words: Keep your trap shut and fingers on the handlebars. Close passes are part of the program.
Old 11-16-18, 05:54 PM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sirkaos
Yeah sure
They should have given a friendly wave and said nothing after almost getting run over.
Seriously? Keeping quiet was my first thought too. Escalation to assault with a deadly weapon and attempted murder is almost always going to take bilateral engagement. Had the bicyclists just kept quiet and waved, they could likely have avoided a lot of blunt and sharp-force injuries.
Old 11-16-18, 06:12 PM
whitecat

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

-Kedosto
Or in another instance, cyclist is a former bouncer. Guess what happens in that instance? Drivers run run run.
Old 11-16-18, 06:27 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
A good deal of Darwinian behavior in this thread. I guess it's up to the reader to decide just what advances the species.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 11-16-18 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-16-18, 06:44 PM
Cuyuna

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

-Kedosto
I think it's more effective to look at it from the perspective of what the victims could have done (or not done) to avoid the life-threatening assault that they endured.
Old 11-16-18, 07:14 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Cuyuna
I think it's more effective to look at it from the perspective of what the victims could have done (or not done) to avoid the life-threatening assault that they endured.
There’s another possibility in this scenario that hasn’t been considered. Perhaps the father & son cyclists are cut from the same cloth as the suspects. It’s easy for us to speculate that the father and son were spandex clad weekend warriors out for a comfortable ride when it’s possible they’re just as thuggish as the suspects and the shouting cited in the article was an ugly, chest thumping challenge for a fight. Not trying to cast aspersions here, but the article didn’t say they were riding to church either. We simply don’t know.

In my community there’s a lot of gang violence and gunfire. Often there’s a sobbing mother claiming the victim was a “good boy” when in fact the “good boy” had a long list of felony convictions and was a menace to a civilized society. I absolutely agree that the smartest and safest thing to do is try to minimize the potential for conflict. Let it go. As Joey said upthread, close passes are part of the deal. Shouting or flipping the finger at every perceived transgressor will shorten ones lifespan. If the increased risk for violence doesn’t get you, the stress certainly will.

Again, the whole thing is sad. Even if dad and son were thugs, the penalty for the confrontation isn’t a baseball bat and a stabbing.

-Kedosto
Old 11-16-18, 07:55 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
There’s another possibility in this scenario that hasn’t been considered. Perhaps the father & son cyclists are cut from the same cloth as the suspects.
No clue about the current mayhem but...

I have a story.

30 years ago I was on a 2-Day overnight bike tour with a local touring club. Most of us knew each other but every year for this ride there were always a few new faces. Three new guys from up in the Louisiana country near the Mississippi border joined us. Nice guys, talked funny. So Day-1 we all stop for lunch (30 cyclists, SAG, etc) and the three new guys didn't like the place we were eating so they continued on up old Highway 51 north of Manchac, LA. Before long a ratty pickup truck came up behind them blowing the horn because the three dudes from up-the-country were riding three abreast on this deserted 2-lane highway where the pickup could have easily just gone around them. But Noooooo. Everybody starts cussin' and middle fingers were flying wild until the pickup truck passed them, slammed on the brakes, and hit reverse. He took out ALL THREE of the cyclists. Then left the scene.

Our SAG had to take the three dummies to the nearest ER, so the rest of our day was SAG-free. Made a police report yada yada. Caught the driver of the pickup truck at a bar in Ponchatoula, LA just ten miles north of the "accident". He parked the truck right up front like he had no worries. Got arrested. No clue what happened after that report I got from our SAG driver that evening.

So....Redneck meet Hillbillys. The results are predictable.
Old 11-16-18, 09:19 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I love the ignorant comment about reporting, like the cops will give two (craps) about that. The truly helpful comment was about a helmet cam.
Colorado State Patrol has a reporting website and will actually do something about this type of driver. The video for proof is a bonus for them.
Old 11-16-18, 09:25 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts

There’s another possibility in this scenario that hasn’t been considered. Perhaps the father & son cyclists are cut from the same cloth as the suspects. It’s easy for us to speculate that the father and son were spandex clad weekend warriors out for a comfortable ride when it’s possible they’re just as thuggish as the suspects and the shouting cited in the article was an ugly, chest thumping challenge for a fight. Not trying to cast aspersions here, but the article didn’t say they were riding to church either. We simply don’t know.

In my community there’s a lot of gang violence and gunfire. Often there’s a sobbing mother claiming the victim was a “good boy” when in fact the “good boy” had a long list of felony convictions and was a menace to a civilized society. I absolutely agree that the smartest and safest thing to do is try to minimize the potential for conflict. Let it go. As Joey said upthread, close passes are part of the deal. Shouting or flipping the finger at every perceived transgressor will shorten ones lifespan. If the increased risk for violence doesn’t get you, the stress certainly will.

Again, the whole thing is sad. Even if dad and son were thugs, the penalty for the confrontation isn’t a baseball bat and a stabbing.

-Kedosto
I missed where the farther and son cyclist pulled a knife and bat on the occupants of the truck, or how they caught the truck at a light and just started beating on the occupants. Please point that out to me.
Old 11-16-18, 10:37 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Originally Posted by CB HI
I missed where the farther and son cyclist pulled a knife and bat on the occupants of the truck, or how they caught the truck at a light and just started beating on the occupants. Please point that out to me.
You didn’t miss anything. Well, you didn’t miss anything except the point. But then, judging by your reply, I’m pretty sure the point I was making doesn’t really matter. No worries.

-Kedosto
Old 11-17-18, 04:47 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
^ This.

As well: don't bring a mouth to a knife fight.

You never know what murderous idiots might bring, in terms of willingness, tools to accomplish their goals, etc.

If you're going to say anything that can be misconstrued by a potentially violent sort, you'd better be fully prepared for the potential for violence by such people in retaliation for doing so ... even deadly violence.

To do anything else is simply dumb.

Forrest Gump's momma said it well: Life is like a box o' chocolates ... you never know what you're gonna get.

True enough. You never know. And "egging on" such people is unlikely to help anyone but them.
Old 11-17-18, 08:28 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Well ... the idea when followed fully, includes the concept of "Leave no witnesses."
Old 11-17-18, 08:30 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by astrodust
Originally Posted by sirkaos
Yeah sure
No, you are absolutely right. Instead of recording and reporting the incident, catching their breaths, shaking their heads, and completing their enjoyable father/son bike ride ... MUCH better to start a fight and get nearly stabbed to death. Obviously getting nearly stabbed to death with your child is a great bonding experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.