Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Mid-drive motor turns, not engaging the crank.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-23, 07:55 AM
Battery Powered

Bikes: EG Geneva's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Dapu mid-drive motor. 48v 500 watt
On one of the bikes the motor will turn but not engage the crank. Going to break it down and see If I can find the problem. I read where it could be the clutch has gone bad, anyone ever tear down a mid-drive motor or knows what might be causing this. If this should be posted in another location let me know and I will repost
Thanks
Old 05-21-23, 09:59 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Mid-drives are geared motors with clutches, and I think you have the correct diagnosis. Please let us know how it turns out. Pedego uses Dapu motors extensively, and has excellent CS from my experience. If you have a dealer nearby, they may be able to assist.
Old 05-21-23, 02:55 PM
Battery Powered

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks, our bikes are made by EG. I will contact t a Pedego shop and see if they have any parts one I break it down.
Old 05-21-23, 06:57 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
I have a friend with an EG bike and they have excellent CS too (AIR, they're back in NY or some nearby state.
Old 05-24-23, 01:54 PM
Battery Powered

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
EG does have great customer service, they are in Canton, MA. I took the motor our today. They small gear that goes into the motor is not turning the larger gear with the clutch on it. I will need to do more disassembly later on. We stopped by EG on our way to Maine and I just went ahead and got another motor, glad I did, it's installed and the wife has her bike back.
looks like I need to make a few more posts before I can attach a picture.
Old 05-24-23, 01:56 PM
Battery Powered

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Another post to get my stats up. Lol
Old 05-24-23, 02:04 PM
Battery Powered

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Old 05-24-23, 04:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Battery Powered
Another post to get my stats up. Lol
No...just no! Get involved with the forums and the many active threads. Stuff like this is just silly. If you don't want to be a part of the forums, that is fine but why take all that time to join and post. If you are interested then go forth and get involved, this is a great place full of great discussions and a wide mix of people and opinions. Just staying in your thread is missing out on some great threads happening and is doing yourself a disservice.

Hopefully Pedego can be of some help. I know when we sold some Dapu equipped bike the person who was selling them was not so good with support so we quickly dropped them. I never understand why people who sell or make this stuff can't support their products at least semi decently.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-24-23, 06:37 PM
Battery Powered

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I needed to get 10 posts to be able to post the picture....that's the reason for the posts. I will get involved. We have been traveling for a week and the last 2 days have been setting up our campsite for the season and bike repair. Long days, should be all done tomorrow.
Likes For Battery Powered:
Old 05-24-23, 07:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by Battery Powered
I needed to get 10 posts to be able to post the picture....that's the reason for the posts. I will get involved. We have been traveling for a week and the last 2 days have been setting up our campsite for the season and bike repair. Long days, should be all done tomorrow.
No I get that, that is the whole point of the 10 posts is so people get involved and enjoy the awesome forums.

Glad you have got a good campsite set up. I have never really done that sort of camping so I just set up tent or hammock and enjoy though I would love an actual camper and do it like that.