Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Paramount PDG Clearcoat Project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 06:03 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Have a 1991 Paramount PDG, one of the one with the "splatter" paint jobs. Was never a big fan:

Paint stripped. Got a little carried away with a wire brush, but I wasn't planning a clearcoat then, just a rattlecan job done to perfection. The welds on the Paramount really impressed me, but the quality of the rattlecan paint did not.

So I went with a powdercoat in "clear". Preserved all the welds perfectly:

I love the champagne gold color of the Tange OS steel. I got the idea seeing a Waterford Paramount painted gun metal grey. I thought, "Hey that's the natural color of the tubing they're trying to recreate. Why not just clearcoat it it?"

You can see every weld, and pretty much see how good a day the guy who brazed the bike was having that day. Decals applied:

Velocals screw-up. I complained about the gold missing from the outside of the World Championship logo. They corrected me and said they were "Olympic bands" and offered to replace the letter "M" only.

Assembled and ready to ride:

Would love to try this with other models, to see how the brazing compares. Maybe a Waterford Paramount. Or a Bianchi. Or any brand really, I love this look.
Likes For Colnago Mixte:
Old 06-14-18, 04:23 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
I'm working on a similar project right now. That clear looks nice - especially the close-up shot of the headlugs! Very nice final result

Here's some "brazing comparison" for you (I did my Colnago in a similar manner a year or so ago):

DD
Old 06-14-18, 05:24 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
I probably would not have chosen white for the decals but seeing them on there makes me think you made the right choice. That is sharp.
Old 06-14-18, 06:58 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
That is really cool, does the ride equal the cool look?
I think the PDG paramount got a bad rap based mostly on the forks.
Old 06-14-18, 08:47 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
looking good in the Raw
Old 06-15-18, 10:08 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,997 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
Have a 1991 Paramount PDG, one of the one with the "splatter" paint jobs. Was never a big fan:

Velocals screw-up. I complained about the gold missing from the outside of the World Championship logo. They corrected me and said they were "Olympic bands" and offered to replace the letter "M" only.

Hmmm, Mine has black, not gold. This was a Waterford repaint/decal job.

Nice job by the way.
Old 07-15-18, 06:34 PM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I'm working on a similar project right now. That clear looks nice - especially the close-up shot of the headlugs! Very nice final result

Here's some "brazing comparison" for you (I did my Colnago in a similar manner a year or so ago):

DD
That turned out excellent. The quality of the materials and workmanship really shines though. I guess Colnagos are worth the premium after all.

Below is a frame I'm working on now, it's a 1986 Univega Gran Rally, that was built by Miyata under contract, with Miyata triple butted tubing. Supposed to be identical to a Miyata 912. The spoon-shaped seatstays are the same, and the lugs look the same as well.

Trying to polish it up before it goes to the powdercoater and sprayed clear.

You can see some of the machining marks on the tubing. This steel is fun to work with, it's hardened so that you can polish it up to a mirror finish. It's difficult to tell from the photo, but I have those seatstays every bit as shiny as chrome plating. The fork is high ten steel, and it doesn't polish up nearly as nice, it has more of a dull finish. You can see the nauseating shade of pink this bike used to be. That pink had to go.

Old 07-16-18, 07:12 PM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
I really like how this turned out. How is it holding up? I've seen it claimed here that clear powdercoat invariably develops "spiderweb" rust underneath the surface (though why clear should behave differently than any other powdercoat is a mystery to me).

If yours stays looking this good, I'm definitely going with clear first time I get the chance.

Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte

Paint stripped. Got a little carried away with a wire brush, but I wasn't planning a clearcoat then, just a rattlecan job done to perfection. The welds on the Paramount really impressed me, but the quality of the rattlecan paint did not.

So I went with a powdercoat in "clear". Preserved all the welds perfectly:

I love the champagne gold color of the Tange OS steel. I got the idea seeing a Waterford Paramount painted gun metal grey. I thought, "Hey that's the natural color of the tubing they're trying to recreate. Why not just clearcoat it it?"

You can see every weld, and pretty much see how good a day the guy who brazed the bike was having that day. Decals applied:

Assembled and ready to ride:

Would love to try this with other models, to see how the brazing compares. Maybe a Waterford Paramount. Or a Bianchi. Or any brand really, I love this look.
Old 07-16-18, 07:57 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
That is really cool, does the ride equal the cool look?
I think the PDG paramount got a bad rap based mostly on the forks.
I have a 92 PDG, thankfully repainted, and then repainted again by me. I think the unicrown forks on those things make the bike. I love the look.

Old 07-16-18, 09:56 PM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I really like how this turned out. How is it holding up? I've seen it claimed here that clear powdercoat invariably develops "spiderweb" rust underneath the surface (though why clear should behave differently than any other powdercoat is a mystery to me).

If yours stays looking this good, I'm definitely going with clear first time I get the chance.
I'm keeping an eye on mine. The thing that worries me is that usually items get sandblasted before powdercoating, to ensure a good bond when the beads are applied.

My frame was semi-polished, so it's anyone's guess how well the powdercoating will adhere. Fingers crossed. I too, read the ominous internet threads discussing all the horrible things that will happen if you clear powdercoat a bike frame. I live in a very dry area and almost never ride in the rain, so I have that going for me. Bike is not stored outside either.

We shall see.
Old 09-30-18, 09:34 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
While a clear coat is not my style, I really like the fact that someone tried it. It shows off the lug work nicely. And it's distinctive, and probably gets more than a few looks and questions when you ride. So, bravo! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 09-30-18 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-30-18, 10:06 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
That thing is beautiful
Old 09-30-18, 11:29 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
The PDG (Tange) forks were most likely Prestige, just easier for Tange to do things that way. They may be been unicrown, and a fashion faux pas, but they were excellent forks.
Old 09-30-18, 11:46 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
This seems to be all the rage these days.

Its a nice option to a re-paint when the paint on our old bikes is gone. And cheaper! I love seeing the brazing as well.
Old 09-30-18, 01:33 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Hey, even the amazing (custom mix Prestige-tubed) Davidson Impulse has a quasi-unicrown fork! Rides like a really fast, well-responding dream. The unicrown fork on your PDG looks just fine, if quite natural. And really, the whole visual composition of that bike is lovely!
Old 09-30-18, 02:09 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,496 Posts
I always wanted a frame finished like that

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-30-18, 02:33 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Beautiful work!

I may consider this on my next "project".
Old 09-30-18, 03:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
there is most likely a spiderweb of rust under most powder coating, but if the powdercoat is opaque, you can't see it. The spiderweb is only a problem if the powdercoat starts coming up because of it.

I have seen a report of the rust under one of the clear coated bromptons. Those frames are sandblasted before coating, so that rules out sandblasting as a cure. I'm curious how the Vanilla clear coated Speedvagens are holding up. haven't heard anything about them.