Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Buying Used Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-23, 06:33 AM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I found a used 2019 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 for sale and was wondering if I should buy it, new it was about $3,500 and the guy wants $2,000.

Is there anything I should look out for? The listing states it only has 1,500 miles on it. How many miles can the mid drive motor go before being serviced? And since it's Specialized will the shop be able to service it or would I have to do it myself? If the shop, how much would they charge?

Also, how many miles is the battery good for? I've looked it up, and it looks like a new battery is almost $1,000.

The reason why I am looking to buy this bike over a rear hub is because from what I've read a mid drive feels more natural, so it actually feels like you're working out plus I plan on commuting with it to work and the 28mph speed would be nice and I like how it doesn't really look like an electric bike.

Last edited by The Big Wheel; 04-05-23 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-05-23, 07:01 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
The rule of thumb (that I've heard others use) is to consider that the battery of a used bike needs to be replaced. You can determine its state of decay with a test (which the owner won't let you perform, probably). Based on how the cables in front are twisted, it looks like something was added (repaired, whatever). IMO, it's overpriced, but you're correct; for hilly terrain or off road riding, a mid-drive is far superior to a hub system (but not everybody agrees on this; only those who have extensive experience with both types of systems). Small hubs can be fun and useful for powerful riders (one used to post here).

Last edited by 2old; 04-25-23 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-05-23, 08:28 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
the software may not be new enough to be able to check the battery. a dealer condo it. but its a 5 year old battery so you dont know how longest been sitting around. that could kill it if it was left uncharged for a long time.
the older horse motors have had issues especially with belt tension.
Old 04-25-23, 02:15 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
I think I'd pass, unless the seller will give you right to return within a week or so. (unlikely)
I'd put the $2k toward a new Trek or something.

You're a bit off on this part:
The reason why I am looking to buy this bike over a rear hub is because from what I've read a mid drive feels more natural, so it actually feels like you're working out plus I plan on commuting with it to work and the 28mph speed would be nice
With a simple hub drive and cadence sensor arrangement, you can get just as much exercise as you could with a fancy torque-sensing mid-drive, you just have to set it up right:
  1. Set the PAS speed to just below the speed you can pedal the bike. Let's say you're cranking along at 15 mph on a flat, with no wind.
  2. You would set the PAS so it'll maintain 13 mph.
  3. When you hit a wind or uphill and you lose that couple mph, the motor will engage to keep you going 13 mph.
  4. When you hit a downhill or get a tailwind, you'll go faster, still without using any motor power
Torque sensing DOES feel more natural, but it costs a lot more and wears chains & sprockets faster as well.
Hub motor bikes do fine with the odd climb. If you are doing a lot of big hill climbs, you should open your wallet and go for the mid drive.

28 mph is REALLY fast, on a bike. It's fast enough that I would question the efficacy of a normal bike helmet. ​​​​​​​
Old 04-26-23, 12:56 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The Vado is a great e-bike and the key aspect with the battery is that it has a limited number of charge cycles. Batteries may be able to sustain 3000 charge cycles if drained only by 10% SOD but 300 charge cycles if drained completely. You have no way of knowing how many charge cycles can be done with the used battery on the bike.

I would look at it as saving $1500 initially and maybe in a year or two having to spend up to $1000 for a new battery. In two years time the replacement cost could be a lot less than it is today. The SL version of the Turbo bikes can use the Specialized Range Extender battery for up to 40 more miles under power. When I bought them a year ago I paid $450 each and they now sell for $337. A main battery that has lost 40% of its charge capacity could be augmented with a SL Range Extender battery.
Old 04-28-23, 10:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
The new Vado is great the old one not so much. The old Como I think was the better bike in many aspects (aside from battery and new display).

I think 2k is a little high but if the person is willing to meet up at a specialized dealer and pay for diagnostics and getting a report from the Simplo tool would be helpful or even something from Mission Control.

The Vado 3.0 was very near the bottom of the line bike. A Brose motor and for the original owner a lifetime warranty on the frame and really excellent support but the components weren't all that great and it was not one of the more powerful Brose motors so I would say if they will go to $1500 after the bike has been checked out and given a good health and working order review then yeah not a bad deal but at 2k I would hold off and either get a better bike and spend the money then and there on something new or wait till you have the money or finance.

The SLs are awesome but keep in mind the Range Extenders only work on those bikes and not the full power stuff of any generation.