Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

chic's always have nice bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-05, 01:12 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Today was an interesting day. On the way to my general cycling area I noticed a down rider. I helped her out and looked at the bike, it was a Trek with Carbon fork and seatpost...pink color(ew lol)

I started thinking...I always see guys on a range of bikes but I never see women on cheapo/vintage bikes. Through the ride I saw tons of riders and I made sure not to look at the girl(This is my usual ) and actually look at their bikes. There was a girl riding infront of me with a nice Carbon Orbea bike. Through the ride, I notice more and more that girls never ride beaters or any crapola bike but always the nice bikes

Guys seem to ride a range from really crappy beat up bikes to really nice high end bikes. So, Why do the ladies always have nice bikes? Do the LBS's push these bikes upon them?
Old 09-03-05, 01:18 PM
rosem

Bikes: Lemond Alp D'Huez - 02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They need them to keep up with the guys . . .
Old 09-03-05, 01:19 PM
DannoXYZ 

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
It's a fashion thing... Most chics fix themselves up before they leave the house, nice hair, nice clothes. You don't see many chics running around with ripped boxers and wifebeater T's, so no crappy bikes either..
Old 09-03-05, 01:23 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
girls say, "it works, but it doesn't look good."

guys say, "it doesn't look good, but it works."
Old 09-03-05, 01:25 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
It's a fashion thing... Most chics fix themselves up before they leave the house, nice hair, nice clothes. You don't see many chics running around with ripped boxers and wifebeater T's, so no crappy bikes either..
I know but I'm jealous ...I also noticed that the hotter the chic is, the better the bike is...

Also, I don't notice too many fat women in the sport( I mean 200+) and most seem to be blonde. I will just start looking at the girls instead of the bikes from now on, so not to make myself sad
Old 09-03-05, 01:26 PM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dog hair
girls say, "it works, but it doesn't look good."

guys say, "it doesn't look good, but it works."
Yea, I mean I am not in LA shape or even a good cyclist shape but I can definately pass/drop most of the chics that I see on their carbon bikes. I did see one girl that had LA calves. It was actually scarry. I looked away
Old 09-03-05, 01:30 PM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...because men buy the bikes for them.....................I kid
Old 09-03-05, 01:46 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"chic's always have nice bikes"

You mean like this one?
Old 09-03-05, 01:47 PM
SandySwimmer

Bikes: Trek 1000c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking about that with guys. I rarely see overweight riders generally (men or women). I'm assuming it is because the more you ride, the more your body adapts. It also seems that it is one of the few exercises that builds muscles (with hills), the more muscles, the less fat. Plus, rarely is there injury (like with running), so you can continue (and continue to get in shape).

I can't speak for all women, but I'm guessing safety might factor in with choosing a bike. I waited and saved up until I could buy a nice road bike that could take me from general exercise and transportation to a triathlon. Until then, I went to spinning, swam, and did other cross-training. It happened to work out that by the time I was able to afford the bike, I was actually in shape for biking. The guys in my spinning class were the ones pressuring me to buy a cheaper bike right away, so I could get out on the road, but I'm glad I waited. Also, because it took me so long to save for it, I'm rather obsessive with taking care of it, so it still looks new.

Sandy
Old 09-03-05, 01:51 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, where's a pic of this fantastic piece of machinery of yours?
Old 09-03-05, 01:59 PM
koine2002
Car(e) Free!

Bikes: Homebuilt Nashbar Steel MTB; 1988 Schwinn Premis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it might be a similiar reason in that you don't see many women driving beat up cages. In fact, they're either nice sports cages or big suburban assault cages. The first I would suspect to be a fashion thing. The second would be something for the kids, or more likely as many of my female friends have affirmed in my asking them these questions, a greater sense of security. A new fancy bike will be probably be more reliable and prove to provide more security. However, let me say that this is not universal and I cannot say this about all members of the better gender. I can only say that this seems to be a pattern among many ladies. Women like style and security, men want prestigious and status giving work. Only my male biased thoughts.
Old 09-03-05, 02:01 PM
allgoo19
Deported by koffee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ovoleg
Yea, I mean I am not in LA shape or even a good cyclist shape but I can definately pass/drop most of the chics that I see on their carbon bikes. I did see one girl that had LA calves. It was actually scarry. I looked away
No wonder why bicycle catalogs rarely use real female cyclists in them.

Edit: What I meant bicycle catalog was actually store catalog likes of Performance catalog.

Last edited by allgoo19; 09-03-05 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-03-05, 03:04 PM
ginger green
Good Enough

Bikes: gary fisher mtb - Bridgestone road

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allgoo19
No wonder why bicycle catalogs rarely use real female cyclists in them.
check out the 2005 raleigh catalogue
Old 09-03-05, 03:09 PM
CycleMagic
Crazy Like a Daisy

Bikes: Giant OCR-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no idea why a chick would have a nicer bike than me, but I am wondering how they get their tiny little wings on to the handle bars? do they clear out their 'puter with their beak? and not a clue how they take a swig from their water bottle?!

I figure I am a pretty reasonable girl rider on a reasonably priced bike (C-dale R300), sans blonde hair (auburn, baby) and legs that get me to where I need to go. I have seen heavier women on bikes around my little corner of the world and I say a silent cheer to them everytime...go girl! get out there and ride!

cheers!
Liz

....and why am I in this handbasket?
Old 09-03-05, 03:11 PM
TheDTrain
JOCP Lives!

Bikes: 2005 Felt F90 (my pride and joy)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjbruin
...because men buy the bikes for them.....................I kid
That is so true.
Old 09-03-05, 04:15 PM
sjjone

Bikes: Raleigh 2003 Professional

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How nice are we talking? I may need to upgrade!!! (I already have my eye on a Klien...)

For many women, it's the WSD factor-there aren't a lot of cheap WSD bikes out there. Also, we like to shop, and so might invest more time/energy in going to different shops. And the men buying it for them isn't so far off, as the first roadie in the family I was very involved when my husband bought his bike...and he ended up with a slightly nicer bike. I would guess it's similar for most couples, just that the gender is reversed.
Old 09-03-05, 04:23 PM
Don Gwinn
Giant-Riding Ogre

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course their bikes are chic. They're chics.

(Or are they "chicks?")

There's also the fact that a lot of men take a perverse pleasure in wringing speed out of a scruffy vehicle; you could call this the "Millennium Falcon Effect." My old truck is rusty, but it'll make the Kessel run in less than 9 parsecs.

Also, I believe men handily defeat women in the DUI category, which means more men get pressed into riding bicycles for transportation involuntarily.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Old 09-03-05, 04:27 PM
Urban Shooter

Bikes: 2006 Gary Fisher Opie, 1980's Fuji Grand SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ovoleg
Today was an interesting day. On the way to my general cycling area I noticed a down rider. I helped her out and looked at the bike, it was a Trek with Carbon fork and seatpost...pink color(ew lol)

I started thinking...I always see guys on a range of bikes but I never see women on cheapo/vintage bikes. Through the ride I saw tons of riders and I made sure not to look at the girl(This is my usual ) and actually look at their bikes. There was a girl riding infront of me with a nice Carbon Orbea bike. Through the ride, I notice more and more that girls never ride beaters or any crapola bike but always the nice bikes

Guys seem to ride a range from really crappy beat up bikes to really nice high end bikes. So, Why do the ladies always have nice bikes? Do the LBS's push these bikes upon them?
Keep in mind that chics/chicks have men or sugar daddy's to buy their bikes for them. Unlike us men who have to work for the money to buy our own bikes. That's why you don't see them on beaters or vintage bikes, unless their man is poor. Hmmm, I hope I don't come off as being chauvanistic or anything.

Old 09-03-05, 04:34 PM
ChrisMartinTX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well from what i see around here (college town) the women have nice bikes cause daddy bought it... i am not saying there are no guys that have awesome bikes purchased by their parents but i do know more guys that worked and bought their own.

please nobody take that the wrong way... not trying to be sexist i know it goes both ways. that is just the trend around here.

oh and i do love seeing the lycra clad blondes of TEXAS!
Old 09-03-05, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by rosem
They need them to keep up with the guys . . .
Way to go, with your pedestrian responses. I'm sure the ladies really appreciate having you around.

Koffee

Old 09-03-05, 04:50 PM
Eve_L.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Urban Shooter
Keep in mind that chics/chicks have men or sugar daddy's to buy their bikes for them. Unlike us men who have to work for the money to buy our own bikes. That's why you don't see them on beaters or vintage bikes, unless their man is poor. Hmmm, I hope I don't come off as being chauvanistic or anything.

This is your perception of women? You must have a *real winner* for a girlfriend
Old 09-03-05, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

I am going to assume you are being funny (and failing), rather than sounding like a fool. I got a bling bling bike, and no one paid for it but me, through hard work and lots of effort. There isn't a woman I know that had some scrub dood buy her bike. We actually have this thing... what's it called? Oh yeah, MENTAL CAPABILITIES.

You must really associate with some bonehead ladies, since they're allowing you to buy them their bikes.

Koffee

Old 09-03-05, 04:58 PM
Urban Shooter

Bikes: 2006 Gary Fisher Opie, 1980's Fuji Grand SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, my post was meant in humor but I see that it is being met with some hostility. My apologies.
Old 09-03-05, 05:25 PM
CycleMagic
Crazy Like a Daisy

Bikes: Giant OCR-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, my post was meant in humor but I see that it is being met with some hostility. My apologies.
ahhh the trouble with text; takes all the body language and tone of voice out of the conversation...

....and why am I in this handbasket?
Old 09-03-05, 06:03 PM
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell

Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleMagic
ahhh the trouble with text; takes all the body language and tone of voice out of the conversation...
you mean you can't see me doing *this*..?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.