Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Am I too heavy for an Columbus SLX frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 12:06 AM
P4D 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't have an SLX frame, I was just wondering if I am too heavy for one at an (up from where I was) 245lbs (but down from where I topped and dropping). I know there are guidelines for all the frames, and they have some factor built in to protect the maker in case of problems, and no one therefore really knows. But, that said, is SLX a bad idea for me?
Old 01-27-10, 12:07 AM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I've been informed Tange Prestige is only for riders less than 170. I'm close to your weight and have no problems. So I doubt it. It might be something you'd want to test ride first, simply to see if it feels noodly or anything.
-Gene-
Old 01-27-10, 05:25 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Hi Alex,
When I really hit the ridding again three or four years ago, my weight was probably 230 or so. I am about 6 feet tall. A local frame builder recommended an SLX framed bike for me. I'm still riding the bike with zero indicators of frame damage. On the bike I mean. I am down to 171 before I hit the treadmill last night. Make sure you have a nicely built wheel set with 32 or 36 spokes. I still use the same wheels as three years ago, and aside from normal maintenance they are good to go. Good luck with this. If weight loss is one of your goals for ridding, you can do it! Just stay on the bike and it will work out.
Old 01-27-10, 07:11 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
SLX shouldn't be a problem. You're not light, but you're not short.

I've not seen a sign in a bike shop yet that said "only thin people can shop here"
Old 01-27-10, 10:15 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
You're heavier than the "recommended" weight for the tubing, but keep in mind that recommendation is based on the assumption you will be racing. You are not likely to damage the frame in normal use, but it may feel too flexible if you're planning on racing. On the other hand, it may feel more comfortable for recreational riding than a heavier gauge frame.
Old 01-27-10, 12:00 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Unless you go with carbon fiber, aluminum or any super thin steel, the first point of failure will more likely be the wheels and not the frame. Make sure that you get at least a rear wheel with as many spokes as you can get and have your wheels checked out regularly.

SLX should be fine.
Old 01-27-10, 01:06 PM
P4D 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I've not seen a sign in a bike shop yet that said "only thin people can shop here"
That one had me spitting coffee on the screen....too funny.

Thanks for all the answers! I thought SLX was a thin steel, but I must have been wrong. What would be considered thin steel?
Old 01-27-10, 02:04 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by alexw
That one had me spitting coffee on the screen....too funny.

Thanks for all the answers! I thought SLX was a thin steel, but I must have been wrong. What would be considered thin steel?

Most of the SLX tubes are 0.9/0.6/0.9 mm
Thin steel (IMO) :
Ishiwata 015 (0.6/0.4/0.6), 017 (0.7/0.4/0.7)
Reynolds 753 (0.7/0.5/0.7)
Tange Prestige (0.7/0.4/0.7)
Old 01-27-10, 05:13 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Alex, how tall are you? At your weight you'll find any big frame to be flexy regardless of the tubing. Stand on the pedals and bounce a bit, you'll about faint when you see how much a steel fork flexes forwards. Slam the front on going about 30 and you can watch the fork ends move backwards at least an inch.

Im My Humble Opinion any tube with butted ends less than 1mm is 'light' tubing.
Old 01-27-10, 05:40 PM
P4D 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by miamijim
Alex, how tall are you? At your weight you'll find any big frame to be flexy regardless of the tubing. Stand on the pedals and bounce a bit, you'll about faint when you see how much a steel fork flexes forwards. Slam the front on going about 30 and you can watch the fork ends move backwards at least an inch.

Im My Humble Opinion any tube with butted ends less than 1mm is 'light' tubing.
I'm 6'4, and I intend to be back to 200lbs by the end of the year. I was way up, embarrassing to admit, but 285-290. I got serious about health, got down to 220lbs. Then I blew up my knee, had a bad surgery that nearly killed me, and got back to 260. I then yo-yo'ed back to 230 and dropping. I've gotten off my routine largely due to work (and I just can't do that much running on my knee), and am back to 240 but dropping again and for good. It's been a process, and I know the science and how my body reacts. I imagine I'll be back in the 220's by April.
Old 01-27-10, 05:56 PM
gomango

You go Alex!!!! As I said before, wheels will be something to think about. I'd go for 36 spokes on a decent hub, and try not to scrimp on the rim. When I ride my single speed cyclocross bike, I beat the snot out of it. I have two sets of wheels, a set with Shimano 105 hubs, DT spokes, and Velocity Aerohead rims. Tough as nails, and have yet to fail me. Another set are fancier with older Dura Ace hubs, DT spokes, and Open Pro rims. Both are tough, well built wheels. The 105/Velocity set have been around since the 230 pound days. They will be trued this spring and put right back into service. By the way, I have terrible RA in my right knee, and I actually feel my best after a decent ride. Don't be red-faced about this weight issue. You are going to be ready for a great summer, and actually I am working towards a similar goal.
Old 01-27-10, 06:05 PM
miamijim

alex, with all due respect, your height to weight ration isnt compatible with a ligh weight frame. Sorry, I'm just telling it as I see it based my 12 years of bicycles sales experience. I'm sure someone is going to chime and say, "blah, blah but I know so and so who rides one blah, blah". Fair enough, but in reality, 6'4" 245 is too much for an SLX frame.
Old 01-27-10, 06:23 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
In the Architecture/Engineering design profession I work in, I usually hear about structural engineers using safety factors of sometimes as high as 5 to avoid catastrophic failures in buildings during emergency situations. I would think that the recommended rider weights for certain tubesets have a good enough safety factor to cover riders much heavier than the weights they quote....What that safety factor is, could be a mystery that might never be revealed because of liability, but I'm wondering if it is usually at least one third more or double the weight called out...I suspect double......uhmmm.....but please don't take that as fact!! Just a goofy passing thought on my part and not as a professional.
so my official answer in this litiigious world is, Yes!, YES!!! you are too heavy for SLX tubing at 245 LBS!

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 01-27-10 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-27-10, 06:27 PM
P4D 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by miamijim
alex, with all due respect, your height to weight ration isnt compatible with a ligh weight frame. Sorry, I'm just telling it as I see it based my 12 years of bicycles sales experience. I'm sure someone is going to chime and say, "blah, blah but I know so and so who rides one blah, blah". Fair enough, but in reality, 6'4" 245 is too much for an SLX frame.
Thanks, I appreciate the comment. I don' t any interest in killing a frame, and the question came up entirely from a singular comment in some other thread having to do with I don't know what. It was taking about different frames, tubing, strengths, etc. It got me to thinking. I know many framebuilders (Waterford for Paramount) for instance, use SLX until they get to 60cm and bigger frames and then go with a mix of SL and SP for strength.

Right now I beat the heck out of a Tange #2 frame in the form of a big Nishiki Prestige. I paid $80 for the bike, cleaned it and put new wrap on it and have just been going with it, frame blemishes and all. I'll get around to cleaning that frame up too, but I'm focused on the RB-1 I am talking about in another thread first (in terms of overhaul and restoration).

So, what frame materials/mixtures do you think for someone my size? Carbon fiber out? Aluminum? What about when I hit my goal weight, 6'4, 200lbs....still not good for an SLX frame?
Old 01-27-10, 06:33 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the comment. I don' t any interest in killing a frame, and the question came up entirely from a singular comment in some other thread having to do with I don't know what. It was taking about different frames, tubing, strengths, etc. It got me to thinking. I know many framebuilders (Waterford for Paramount) for instance, use SLX until they get to 60cm and bigger frames and then go with a mix of SL and SP for strength.

Right now I beat the heck out of a Tange #2 frame in the form of a big Nishiki Prestige. I paid $80 for the bike, cleaned it and put new wrap on it and have just been going with it, frame blemishes and all. I'll get around to cleaning that frame up too, but I'm focused on the RB-1 I am talking about in another thread first (in terms of overhaul and restoration).

So, what frame materials/mixtures do you think for someone my size? Carbon fiber out? Aluminum? What about when I hit my goal weight, 6'4, 200lbs....still not good for an SLX frame?
Uhmm.. titanium, maybe.... everyone seems to rave about the stregnth/durability of titanium frames, but not ever owning one yet, I'm not aware if there are certain grades or gauges that people might have to consider when choosing a Ti frame. Are they all the same or are there differetn types of Ti tubing??
Otherwise you could also get straight guage steel frames too, but they are heavy.

Chombi
Old 01-27-10, 06:35 PM
gomango

First of all, "blah, blah, blah" is not respectful. But I'll move beyond that and say, when I was "larger" I wasn't riding at the same speeds as I am now. 10-12 mph with the kids. I took it easy, as there was no choice. It was as fast as I could go. The weight rolled off quickly though. I got into nicer bikes pretty quickly including a local shop owner's Trek 5200. Jeez, if those Bontrager Lite's could handle me, I certainly wouldn't worry about some 105/Aeroheads. He put me on it, and has owned a shop and raced for the last 25 years. That was at 205. Trick to this whole thing is to get on something and have at it. Have some fun while you are improving your health. If this "SLX" issue is all that is holding you back, go buy some old gas pipe beast, fill up the tires, and get out there. You will not regret it.
Old 01-27-10, 06:36 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
There are different types of ti tubing...butted, straight gauge...double butted...just like steel. There are also different tubing diameters, just like steel.
Old 01-27-10, 06:41 PM
miamijim

I'm about 200lbs and can ride just about any steel frame I'de like because I ride 54's, the tubes are simply shorter and dont flex like big frames do. Its a trade off, you may or may not like the way a 60cm+ SLX frames ride. Based simply on the fact that frame builders shy away from it for big should tell all there is to tell.

Seriously though, it you want a reasonably light bike I'd but a hybrid or 29'r mtn bike and convert it over for road use. A 29'r mtn bike accomplishes 2 things, first, 29'r wheels are really 700's which means your wheel/tire combinations are endless and second, mtn. frames are usualy sized 2 sizes smaller than road frames therefore a much smaller frame will be significantly stiffer thus improving the ride quality.
Old 01-27-10, 06:44 PM
P4D 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gomango
First of all, "blah, blah, blah" is not respectful. But I'll move beyond that and say, when I was "larger" I wasn't riding at the same speeds as I am now. 10-12 mph with the kids. I took it easy, as there was no choice. It was as fast as I could go. The weight rolled off quickly though. I got into nicer bikes pretty quickly including a local shop owner's Trek 5200. Jeez, if those Bontrager Lite's could handle me, I certainly wouldn't worry about some 105/Aeroheads. He put me on it, and has owned a shop and raced for the last 25 years. That was at 205. Trick to this whole thing is to get on something and have at it. Have some fun while you are improving your health. If this "SLX" issue is all that is holding you back, go buy some old gas pipe beast, fill up the tires, and get out there. You will not regret it.
Thanks for the encouragement. Honestly, the question was academic, really. I wanted to see what kind of thoughts/reactions there were mostly so I could learn more. I am riding, and getting back into great shape (I did spin for a long time, and while it was not the same as cycling, it was good preparatory work).

I wondered about Ti as well, but that is something I know nothing about, and looks like it might be out of my price range in any case.
Old 01-27-10, 06:53 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Alex...I'm not saying ti is right for you, but there are some AWESOME deals to be had on used ti (which generally looks NOS given its properties) and bikes for taller gents such as yourself tend to go cheaper. I wouldn't be so sure that ti is going to be much more money than SLX...in fact I did better on my ti than my slx.

I really don't know much about large frames or flex but I'll say based purely on ride quality, I'll take my titanium over any of my steel bikes without a second thought.
Old 01-27-10, 07:09 PM
gomango

Heh Aaron,
I think you are on to something. We just had a fellow at the shop last Saturday that was about 6'2". He's been trying to sell his Litespeed Tuscany since last September. It had to have been a 61 or 62. Beautiful bike. No takers at $1200 with Chorus. I couldn't ride a frame that size, but someone is going to get a really nice bike at his next price drop.
Old 01-27-10, 07:16 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Mango...titanium just doesn't hold its value at all, which really surprises me since you'd be hard pressed to look at my ti frame and not think it's new. Maybe someday there will be a collector market on titanium, but that day isn't here and I actually think used titanium might be the best kept secret bargain around.
Old 01-27-10, 07:24 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by EjustE
Most of the SLX tubes are 0.9/0.6/0.9 mm
Thin steel (IMO) :
Ishiwata 015 (0.6/0.4/0.6), 017 (0.7/0.4/0.7)
Reynolds 753 (0.7/0.5/0.7)
Tange Prestige (0.7/0.4/0.7)
I ride a size 60cm Soma Double Cross made from Tange Prestige. I was 240 lbs and am now down to 205. I rode 5000 miles in 2009 and had no issues with the bike.

Tange Prestige is heat treated and is strong enough. Wall thickness is only part of the story.

Michael
Old 01-27-10, 07:44 PM
gomango

Way to go Michael!

Aaron this ti value thing is a mystery because I hear often about the great ride qualities. There is a Merckx ti, I think an EX, that keeps popping up on the local CL. It is my size, but not yet in my price range. Who knows, maybe some day.

Alex, just stay the course. The right bike will pop up for you if you are patient!
Old 01-27-10, 08:33 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Alex's issue brings up a question, one I've seen answered before...If he's riding a 60cm frame, and it's purported to be SLX, wouldn't it already be outfitted with some SP or SL because of it's size? Would that not make the whole point less relevant, then? Or did some builders actually construct an entire "big" frame of SLX?

Is this about the Team America?

And as far as Ti, it's simply great stuff. I had a no-name Ti frame and other than fit (it was custom made for someone else) it was simply great. I missed out on a Colnago Ti frame here for $790 new w/fork, but intend to get another. It will have to be 56cm, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.