Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is it realistic to weld/braze on cable guides etc onto a vintage frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 08:59 PM
PaintItCeleste

Bikes: My wife says "Too Many"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I recently picked up an old Motobecane Grand Record. The bike is in rough shape but the frame is Reynolds 531 steel, with Nervex lugs. I just love these frames! I bought it with the intention of completely redoing the frame. I'm looking into chroming, powdercoating, etc. and I will be building it up with a modern groupset (for the fiancee). That said, I'm not really interested in the look of all the clamp-on bits like the cable guides, water bottle holder, cable stops, etc. (Not to mention having to go buy them all). I'd prefer they be part of the frame (and colored with the frame, be that painted or PC).

Is it possible someone could weld/braze the cable guides, cable stops, and possibly other modern bits, onto this frame? Is this cost prohibitive (I don't mind spending some extra money because I love bringing these old frames back to life)? Like say $50-100? If it is possible, does the heating of the frame, unnecessarily affect the steel, potentially weakening it? Also, I'm in St. Louis, MO and am interested in info so if you know someone who could do this, let me know! I contacted a couple folks I found from an older post here (not in STL, but not terribly far) and they had gotten out of building frames so that was a dead end.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-13, 09:17 PM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
FeCycles is in STL. Custom steel builder. I don't think the price will come in as low as you want but you won't know unless you ask. Brazeons won't hurt the bike, especially if silver is used. Adding guides and bottle bosses isn't rocket surgery. With a little research and downloading the free version of the Paterek manual, you could do it yourself within your budget. Nova Cycle Supply has the parts. Look for Harris 56% silver and flux at a local welding shop. A torch that will do the job can be found at a big box hardware store. Go for it. It's fun.
Old 02-27-13, 09:17 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Here's a price list from our local frame builder, Folk Engineering. Of course we're sort of East of East St. Louis but there's probably someone closer to you with similar rates;
https://folkengineered.com/bicycles/otherservices
Old 02-28-13, 07:04 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Is it realistic? Sure. One question might be: why? If you'd prefer a frame with all the modern doodads, there are many out there. Not too many Grand Record frames out there though. It's yours of course, so you'll do what you like with it. It sure would be neat to see it restored to its original state.
Old 02-28-13, 07:27 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I am going to be doing that on a Trek 610. Adding bosses for rear rack, FD hanger, Cable stops for BarCons, eyelets to replace the ones that were removed. My cost is $0 as I found someone who is building frames with silver in his garage for himself and he offered to do it. Not his day job! Hope to do it this weekend if the weather is bad, he wants to paint his first frame with good weather.

Would I do it to a Moto GR? No, I have a wrecked 72 Le Champion and would buy a replacement frame set in a heart beat if I could find one. I would restore back to original as I have all the components except the Universal hoods.

The only reason I am modifying the Trek is that it was in such poor shape when I bought it with damaged parts. The saving grace is the frame is in good condition and fun to ride.
Old 02-28-13, 08:11 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think it will be cost prohibitive.
Old 02-28-13, 08:28 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Is it realistic? Sure. One question might be: why? If you'd prefer a frame with all the modern doodads, there are many out there. Not too many Grand Record frames out there though. It's yours of course, so you'll do what you like with it. It sure would be neat to see it restored to its original state.
+1,000,000
Old 02-28-13, 08:50 AM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you plan on using modern components, you may want the framebuilder to spread/align the rear dropouts to 130mm. As for the braze-ons, maybe you could have it done in a retro way (top tube cable guides for running full length housing, downtube shifter bosses instead of cable guides, etc.). I think it would keep the vintage spirit of the frame, but give you the upgrades you want.
Old 02-28-13, 09:11 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
DR PHIL checking in:

Have you checked this out with your fiancee? Your heart and desire may be in the right spot, but a lot of women love a retro look. Does she want a drop bar setup or a northroads setup?

Shiny Honcho hammered fenders, a nice Nantucket wicker basket, Brooks honey saddle, some cork grips, and a lot of Mothers Aluminum polish can be far less expensive, take your eyes off the paint, and are transferable to another frame. Go to velo-orange.com and check out all the bike jewelry.

If you still want to refinish, I'd recommend paint, so the lugs stay crisp. Check in with Sloar on this forum. He's only a 1/2 day away and does fabulous painting.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...gravel+grinder

Last edited by oddjob2; 02-28-13 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-28-13, 08:23 PM
PaintItCeleste

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for the links busdriver and sailorbenjamin. I check them out and will definitely look into working with these people should I do the modifications. I don't have the capability at the time, to do any DIY brazing just yet (my torch is in storage, with empty tanks...blast!). Rootboy, I'm not sure how rare grand record frames are, so I was unaware it wasn't a common bike. Mine came with first gen Phil hubs (which need some work), and SR components. It appears not to be stock. Though it does have a very rough looking Ideale saddle. I can see from your avatar, you have some feelings for motobecanes? haha

likebike23, as far as why go through all the effort on an older frame, vs. just getting a newer frame. I haven't come across too many new frames with nervex lugs AND all the modern doodads. At least not within the price that I picked this up for, even after I do some modifications.

Oddjob, err, doctor phil, haha, that's a good point. I have consulted her about it and I think it could go either way. She likes both aesthetics. The newer "David" bikes I assemble which often consist of some classic touches, with a modern flare, as well as the old classics.

I am still on the fence about where to go with this, and thus, is partly why I put the question out there. I really appreciate all the responses! There's some really great considerations brought to light here. Can anyone tell me a little more about the motobecane grand record (rootboy perhaps).

Here is the frame. I can't find serials or anything. Huret rear dropouts. Reynolds 531 stickers are nearly all worn off.

Old 02-28-13, 08:40 PM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PaintItCeleste
likebike23, as far as why go through all the effort on an older frame, vs. just getting a newer frame. I haven't come across too many new frames with nervex lugs AND all the modern doodads. At least not within the price that I picked this up for, even after I do some modifications.
I think you have me confused with another poster. I totally get why you want to do what you're considering. I understand people wanting to see it fully restored to original condition. However, if you're starting with a frameset only, I wouldn't feel at all guilty about modifying it.
Old 02-28-13, 08:42 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
The OP should consider the idea that maybe he doesn't actually like classic bicycles.

Having said that, the world really isn't losing anything if he wants to try to turn that frame into something else.
Old 02-28-13, 08:46 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I now own an older colnago that was updated in a prior life to under the tt brake cable stops and head tube cable stops for sti/ergo levers. I love it.
Old 02-28-13, 08:56 PM
rootboy 

I can't tell you a whole lot about the Grand Record as I don't have one but, I do own two Motobecanes from that era and to me they are just some of the coolest early seventies bikes out there. It's the wonderful paint jobs and sleek, understated graphics. I think of the Grand Record as the third leg in the triumvirate of great Reynolds framed bikes the huge company churned out during the Boom with their charming French je ne sais quoi and a touch of sloppiness.
Along with the Le Champion and the Team Champion the Grand Record was outfitted with quality parts and those parts are part of the charm. All the clamp on pieces of pretty aluminum and shiny chrome are the bike's jewelry. They adorn these neat old frames like an Italian necklace on your French aunt.
They look good there. She's hot.
Old 02-28-13, 09:24 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

It's the wonderful paint jobs and sleek, understated graphics. I think of the Grand Record as the third leg in the triumvirate of great Reynolds framed bikes the huge company churned out during the Boom with their charming French je ne sais quoi and a touch of sloppiness.
Along with the Le Champion and the Team Champion the Grand Record was outfitted with quality parts and those parts are part of the charm. All the clamp on pieces of pretty aluminum and shiny chrome are the bike's jewelry.
+1 on above Rootboy, but wonderful paint? It rubs off like Joan River's pancake! By the time the frame gets equipped, only the top tube would look rough. A leather wrap, like VO sells would cover that up.

Below is my GR.
Old 02-28-13, 09:32 PM
PaintItCeleste

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
rootboy - in response to your funny metaphor for about the clamp-on bits: I have refinished a bicycle with these parts before. It was a Bianchi, as that tends to be my preference bicycle. And thus, it needed matching italian jewelry!

That was for my mum for Christmas. Took me a few months to get all the parts and keep the finances flowing. The first image is what I started with. It's neat, but to me, it just has so much potential to be something different, something different! I think this is fairly classic, though with some newer amenities. I would be stepping a bit further towards modern with this motobecane, while still capitalizing on the unique and defining features of the frame (such as the nervex lugs).
Old 02-28-13, 09:37 PM
thirdgenbird

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That is without a doubt the hottest mixtie I've ever seen. Paul's brakes and a campy RD?
Old 02-28-13, 09:45 PM
rootboy 

HooWeee! What a beauty!!!!
Yeah....you know what you're doing.

Now, how about some splendid French jewelry on a re-painted Moto? I'm imagining a set of Jubilee derailleurs, TA crank, MAFAC brakes ...etc.
Old 02-28-13, 09:49 PM
PaintItCeleste

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would be lying if I said there wasn't a split second of hesitation giving it away...OK OK, it was for my mum. She's worth it! And she loved it. Yeah, most everything on it is Campy, save for the brakes which are Paul. Even the fenders have Bianchi stamped into them. But oddjob, like you were saying, many of the parts, like the stem and porteur bars, I picked up from velo-orange. Fantastic people.

So I have done some work. And I definitely respect the classic and vintage status of some of these bikes. But I feel they can also be tastefully re-imagined, which is what I like to do. Having no experience with having a frame modified with modern cable guides and other parts. I find it just one more thing to learn about. I appreciate the advice here, as far as how to go about it, and what I should consider prior to making the decision. My mind is running!
Old 02-28-13, 09:50 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by oddjob2
+1 on above Rootboy, but wonderful paint?
Well, not so much the paint, but the color schemes. I love those two-toned Moto paint jobs.
Both mine are single color. But what colors.
I'd like to find a minty black and red Grand Record.
Old 02-28-13, 09:53 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

That mixte is the shizzle, fer sure! "She's just gorgeous!" says Brent Musberger.
Old 02-28-13, 09:53 PM
PaintItCeleste

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can always make one...what size frame do you need? Perhaps this isn't the frame to use for me...
Old 02-28-13, 09:56 PM
rootboy 

Thanks but, no ....no building one for me. I'd have to find her whole. Besides, I need a 60-62.
Old 02-28-13, 10:12 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Thanks but, no ....no building one for me. I'd have to find her whole. Besides, I need a 60-62.
Well here it is!

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...e-Grand-Record
Old 02-28-13, 10:17 PM
PaintItCeleste

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haha you had go and do that to him!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.