Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

MaceUp!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 10:29 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 1,247 Times in 625 Posts
I had an incident where an irate dog owner was hostel about my buddy spraying his aggressive dog.

I felt helpless as I was on a trike.

So now I carry a 380 on the trike.

Old 01-10-17, 11:11 PM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought "dogs" cause ive had several dog run ins thru my life, mostly on bikes. Where I ride I would not think of using mace or having any "weapon" on me. Im sure I could come up with some defense if necessary.

There's something about a dog chasing a bike. Even if he doesn't get close its still a thrill of sort lol...Especially when they are coming down at you from a hill out of nowhere lol. I wouldn't use mace on a dog in that situation, I would just put my foot to its jaw...Its all about timing and lining it up lol. Bigger dogs like boxers and pits are at a pretty good height for lining it up right. Dont worry you wont hurt the dog just kick it enough to send a message lol.
Old 01-10-17, 11:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
It may NOT Work on the guy if he is high on some type of drug.
That depends on the type of spray.

CN and older style CS sprays are tear gas. These can be ineffective on someone who has a diminished ability to feel pain such as someone on drugs.

OC style capsicum pepper sprays act differently and are much more effective. These cause blindness, choking, coughing and loss of breath apart from the pain. An attacker who can't see or breathe is much less likely to continue the attack.

Most of the reports we hear of people on drugs not being stopped by sprays are older style CN/CS sprays. OC pepper sprays are much more effective. Unfortunately the media and people in general lump CN, CS and OC sprays into one "Pepper spray" category and mistakenly think that OC style sprays are ineffective.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-11-17 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 11:34 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Pepper spray is illegal in Wisconsin.
I'm not sure this is correct.

I believe it is legal to buy and carry OC (capsicum) based prays but that the spray is restricted to 10% OC concentration, cannot contain dye, cannot be camouflaged and maybe some other things I can't remember right now.

If you are interested in carrying then I would encourage you to check again.

-Tim-
Old 01-11-17, 12:09 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
If he knocked out the tooth with the cavity it would be a service.
Old 01-11-17, 12:26 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I used to be a police officer, and often encountered belligerent drivers on my morning or weekend rides. I didn't carry mace, I carried a Kahr K9 pistol, though I never had show it.

It is quite funny to see the look on the face of a shouting idiot change when you show them a badge and police ID. They go from hot and angry to scared ****less, and apologetic. I would order them out of their car, make them sit on the sidewalk, and call the local police to come by and give them as much **** as they could. On occasion these people were driving without a license, or had an active arrest warrant, and I had the pleasure of seeing them cuffed and taken away, and their cars impounded.

I am glad now that I live in Japan, where road rage is almost unheard of, and where incidents involving cars and pedestrians or cyclists are automatically blamed on the car drivers.
Old 01-11-17, 12:56 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
+1 for Japan.

You can also get some neato sleeves for bear spray so the can fits into a water bottle holder, makes it real easy and instinctive to reach.
Old 01-11-17, 01:10 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
That depends on the type of spray.

CN and older style CS sprays are tear gas. These can be ineffective on someone who has a diminished ability to feel pain such as someone on drugs.

OC style capsicum pepper sprays act differently and are much more effective. These cause blindness, choking, coughing and loss of breath apart from the pain. An attacker who can't see or breath is much less likely to continue the attack.

Most of the reports we hear of people on drugs not being stopped by sprays are older style CN/CS sprays. OC pepper sprays are much more effective. Unfortunately the media and people in general lump CN, CS and OC sprays into one "Pepper spray" category and mistakenly think that OC style sprays are ineffective.

-Tim-
Good information Tim, thanks.
Old 01-11-17, 09:46 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Mark Stone
Good information Tim, thanks.
Keep in mind as well that the term "Mace" can be confusing. I think that is the brand you purchased?

Mace was the trademark name given to CS tear gas which is no longer used. The term Mace now refers to the company by that name which produces CN tear gas spray, OC pepper spray and combination CN/OC spray. Mace is now a brand, not a type of spray.

Have a look at Sabre pepper gel. I carry the smaller runners pepper gel minus the holder in my jersey pocket or front jacket pocket. A friend carries the larger tactical canister on his handlebar. Gel has much less overspray or blowback and so is much safer when riding with a group.

I can tell you from experience that it stops a pit bull instantly.

-Tim-
Old 01-11-17, 10:33 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Mace is now a brand, not a type of spray.
Correct. I think that sometimes the term is used generically, like "kleenex" is used for tissue.
I can tell you from experience that it stops a pit bull instantly.

-Tim-
I'm glad it worked! Glad you're ok.
Old 01-11-17, 10:54 AM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife carries citronella spray for dogs. I heard it works better than pepper spray.

I don't carry a weapon when riding. I rely on the bike to get me out of sticky situations - been lucky so far.
Old 01-11-17, 11:36 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I was an amateur boxer and when I was younger was in more unsanctioned scraps and scuffles than I care to remember. And I finally learned to avoid conflict and deescalate tension rather than relying on physical combat techniques.

The only thing I carry that might be considered a weapon is a pocket knife that has a short blade with no pointed tip -- it's basically a fancypants box cutter, which is how I've used it for 10 years. I'm not sure I'd even remember to use it as a weapon in an emergency. It's just a handy tool.

I've considered carrying pepper spray for dogs, but usually I can avoid trouble with them. Even recently when a large dog kept body slamming me (I was walking home) I remained calm, focusing on maintaining my balance and keeping my emotions under control while the incompetent owner kept yelling at the dog and trying ineffectually to get it back in its own yard. If I'd had pepper spray or a gun I probably would have used it. It really was that tense for about 60 seconds, with the dog trying to escalate the conflict but not actually biting. In retrospect I'm glad I wasn't armed because while I would have been within my rights to defend myself, it still would have been a bad choice. As it turned out it was just another irresponsible dog owner who knew how to apologize for the inconvenience but not how to actually train and discipline a dog.

I feel the same way about people. I'd rather not harm another human being if I can avoid it. I have no sense of ego about conflicts anymore -- got all that out of my system years ago. If I can back away, or walk away (at my age and with bum knees, I don't run very well), and let the other person say whatever they want, that's fine with me.

I shrug off 99.99% of the incidents I encounter while bicycling in traffic. Usually it's just inattention, not deliberate. The very few drivers who've been deliberately aggressive were only honking or yelling ineffectually from a safe distance, usually at least two lanes away. That's not an assault and not worth getting worked up over. I would report a deliberately or reckless aggressive driver, and have done so only once in the past year and a half since I resumed cycling (an impatient Domino's delivery driver who passed me on a no-turn lane and left-hooked me -- I was satisfied with the response from the store manager and national safety hotline).

Unless the other person physically assaults me, nothing worse will happen if I have any choice in the matter.

If you do learn any self defense techniques, be sure to emphasize deflecting attempts to injure you, rather than trying to inflict damage on another person. It isn't always necessary to disable an opponent to deescalate a conflict, although that's what most YouTube wannabes emphasize.

And self defense techniques to deescalate conflict should include emphasis on your demeanor, attitude, words, body language -- everything that communicates something to the other person. Often our overall demeanor can reduce the risk of any conflict from occurring to begin with.
I wish I was as mature as you.
Old 01-11-17, 12:06 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I never used to carry anything with me when I lived in the SF bay area, having been the ultra weight-weenie that I was. Since moving up into the Sierras I've had a couple of dicey experiences with the rednecks and tweekers and their pitbulls up here, so I usually carry a small Spyderco knife. But now that I seem to be turning into a Fred and plan to actually have a bike with a rack on it, I will start carrying my big Gerber LMF!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
c16.jpg (57.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg

Last edited by Scarbo; 01-11-17 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 12:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18462 Post(s)
Liked 15,725 Times in 7,391 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Stone
I think that sometimes the term is used generically, like "kleenex" is used for tissue.

+1. While it's hard for a trademark owner to lose it's right due to a term becoming generic, it can happen. (Escalator, cellophane and thermos are examples.) That's why you hear the following phrase in Jeep commercials: "Jeep is a registered trademark of" whatever Chrysler is called today. It's also why you hear "Band-Aid brand plastic strips." But ask yourself when is that last time you cut your finger and asked someone if they had a "plastic strip"?
Old 01-11-17, 12:36 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
I a 357 magnum revolver, but don't carry anymore. I just avoid the bad places. Avoid being alone. Avoid riding pass someone too close: he could act casual but turn at the last second and smack you off your bike and proceed to pummel you on the ground. If someone tries to walk close to you, walk away or keep an eye on 'em...they might turn around and attack after they walk pass you. If they attack, I'll dodge the first blow and run or bike away as fast as possible. I'm suspcious of everyone I meet on the trail. Don't talk to strangers. Walk away if a stranger approach and ask for directions: could be a trick to get you to let your guard down. Keep awareness: there might be multiple attacker trying to surround you when one distract you. Run, run, run, or get your stand ground and get mentally ready to fisticuffs, could get very ugly. I think if you're mentally prepared for the worst case scenario, you'll be alright, hopefully just a few scratches. I goes without saying, don't get distracted by things like sounding to music or playing with your phone.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 01-11-17 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-11-17, 04:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I wish I was as mature as you.
I prefer to think of it as just getting older and slower. Maturity takes effort. Getting older and slower comes naturally.
Old 01-11-17, 05:59 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For those who say, "I don't need protection, I use my head and keep a look out for trouble" probably have never been a victim of a assault.

I'm 50, well educated and like to think I have a lot of common sense, but there's not enough brains or street smarts in the world to avoid a blindside attack. I was riding on a sunny afternoon through a really "good part of town", when without any warning, some thug decided he wanted my bike and hit me over the head with a large branch from an oak tree. I fought him off using my bike lock, but I really wish I'd have had my pepper spray.
Old 01-11-17, 06:00 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 1,682 Posts
Got the 2nd 2 down!
Old 01-11-17, 06:12 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Halt for dogs and pepper spray for human miscreants.

I've used the Halt once, and it worked OK. Haven't needed the pepper spray yet and hope I never do.
Old 01-11-17, 06:52 PM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
Hell yes I do ! Last April I was violently attacked on the local MUP, multiple facial fractures, broken jaw, and collapsed nasal cavity. Ended up with two plates in my face holding my orbital socket in place. I was able to fight them off on my own, but now I carry mace, and have baton mounted in a old air pump holder. Still ride the same route, but my head is on a swivel, and if anyone raises a red flag, I just turn around or go another route. I no longer have the trust I once had for the fellow man.
I personally know 2 guys, a dentist and an airline pilot, who were beaten so badly they were forced to retire from their professions. Both were in their 50's, both incidents were on local MUP's.

If singing Kumbaya doesn't work, my S&W 642 just might. "Why does that guy wear a belt pack on a bike?"
Old 01-11-17, 07:22 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
I personally know 2 guys, a dentist and an airline pilot, who were beaten so badly they were forced to retire from their professions. Both were in their 50's, both incidents were on local MUP's.

If singing Kumbaya doesn't work, my S&W 642 just might. "Why does that guy wear a belt pack on a bike?"
I'm 50 and was on a MUP (Pinellas Trail) if it weren't for my helmet I probably wouldn't be typing this right now. I have a concealed permit, but even after a violent assault, I just can't bring it with me on my bike.
Old 01-11-17, 09:06 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59

Yes, this has been a problem on the nice MUP down in the Sacramento area during last summer. I saw this on the local news. I believe one man was killed and one older gentleman was assaulted and messed up pretty badly after he had the audacity to ask some people at a park at which he was taking a rest break to turn down their music. I hate to hear of such things.
Old 01-11-17, 10:06 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I carry no weapons.... either defensive or offensive.

Although I have considered carrying some sort of protection.... I also believe that in most cases... pocket knifes, and pepper spray are just feel good items. I am older now-a-days... and beginning to realize that I am looked at more as an elderly man... than a tough guy. So... it wouldn't be all bad to strap a can of Mace to my bike... and tell myself it would also be good for dogs. It would likely make me feel better.

I ride where I chose to. And some areas are a little sketchy. So there have been times I've wondered about just how safe I am. I know there is much more crime of the MUPs than is generally well known.
Old 01-12-17, 05:31 AM
curly666

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Robaix, Specialized Carmel

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Pepper spray is illegal in Wisconsin.

Part of my training for working in in-patient locked psychiatric wards was "Management Of Aggressive Behaviors (MOAB). I haven't had to use it yet, either at work or outside of work.

In Plain English:
Wisconsin state laws for pepper spray & self defense products

The Basics:
  • Pepper spray canisters must be less than 2 oz.
  • Pepper spray must be 10% or less O.C. (Oleoresin Capsicum) concentration.
  • Pepper spray cannot be disguised as a common item (i.e. lipsticks, pens, etc.).
  • Must be a minimum of 18 years old.
  • Cannot have any convicted felonies on record.
  • [NOTE] Stun guns are not legal to use, carry or ship to Wisconsin.
In Wisconsin, you are allowed to use pepper spray to defend yourself against someone who is attacking or about to attack you. The minimum age for carrying concealed pepper spray on your body is 18, and if it’s kept in a car, the driver must be over the age of 18. (Since pepper sprays are usually not to be stored in temperatures over 120 degrees, it’s wise not to carry pepper spray in the glove compartment during the warmer months).
Pepper spray is the only self defense spray you can legally carry in Wisconsin. Anything containing traditional mace (not including "Mace" the brand) or tear gas is not legal for the public, even if it’s mixed with pepper spray. The legal ingredient of pepper spray is Oleoresin Capsicum, (OC) the oil derived from the hot pepper. Although you may find some stronger concentrations online, Wisconsin laws state that the strongest concentration of OC used in Wisconsin is 10% -- more than plenty to stop an attack from a human being.
Police sprays often contain ultraviolet (U.V) dyes, so if a suspect manages to escape, he can be identified by the dye marks on the face. The canister must hold less than 2.1 ounces (60 grams) of spray and must have a safety feature like a flip top cap.
Old 01-12-17, 06:55 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1760 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 749 Posts
I've thought a lot about self-defense both on and off the bike. And, especially lately when a dirt biker threatened a friend of mine with a gun on a rail-trail. This same biker went on to shoot and kill a father of two about a month later. He was eventually arrested. Over the years I have carried a .380 Glock. And, these days I carry it on rail-trail and road solo rides or when it's just me and my gf. I do not carry on rides with others. My "rules" are...never, EVER display a firearm unless you are in danger of losing your life or if someone else is about to lose theirs. Avoid conflict at all costs. Run or ride away and call 911. If you do show your weapon because you are in imminent danger, you MUST be willing to use it. This is all horrible stuff to have to think about but it's also a reality unfortunately.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.