Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Struggling during the first part of rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-11, 01:30 PM
lotown.pedaler

Bikes: 2007 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The past few rides I've participated in, I have really struggled physically during the first 5-10 miles. What I mean by this is I will sweat profusely, feel a bit weak/lightheaded and feel just overall BLECCCH. After I get past this, and usually after my first rest stop for a Clif bar, I am O(plenty of energy and not sweating near as much) for the rest of the ride for the most part as long as I stay hydrated and eat. FYI, I have been eating oatmeal/toast/OJ for breakfast before I leave out. Time between that meal and when I first start the ride has been ~an hour both time.

Any suggestions what this could be?
Old 08-06-11, 01:57 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Dunno what's happening, but here's a kludge:

Ride to the rides, or if too far, get there earlier and do a 5-mile out and back before the ride.

I personally would need a more substantial breakfast than that to feel good about myself but I know people that get by on that.
Old 08-06-11, 02:00 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,480 Times in 3,224 Posts
I think it's kind of weird but on a hot day I takes me longer to warm up.
Old 08-06-11, 02:01 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
It takes me 10 miles to really get into a groove. If you ride with a group that starts fast it can be a real suffer-fest...right at the beginning! Lately I've been doing some faster rides and they begin 5 miles from my house, so I ride to them at a nice relaxed pace to get in some of the warm-up miles.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 08-06-11, 02:05 PM
JustinHorne

Liked 18 Times in 4 Posts
Similar to the above post: I don't know why it happens specifically, but I feel your pain. Definitely takes me 10 miles or so to start feeling like I have any power in my legs.
Old 08-06-11, 02:11 PM
Chickenstrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interval training and/or hill repeats!

I have had the same problems and these helped tremendously!

My normal weekday ride is a 32 mile loop 3-4 times during the week, with a 60+ mile ride usually on Saturday morning. I replaced one of my weekday rides with hill repeats. This is by far the most difficult day of my week and I have to force myself to do it, but it has made all the difference in my average speed, sprinting, and the problem of fatigue early in rides.
Old 08-06-11, 03:14 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
YMMV.

I found that if I eat before riding, it seems to kick my body into a "Feed me, Seymour" mode. I have to keep eating. If I don't, I bonk. However, if I don't eat before riding, my system relies on its energy stores and lasts for up to 2+ hours before I need to start eating.

As I said, YMMV. So play around with it. Also, get warmed up before the ride as others have said.
Old 08-06-11, 03:22 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I usually drink a muscle milk shake before I leave (which I am about to do actually), and that seems to be enough food for a while. However... the first 5-10 miles still sucks. My cruising speed takes a while to get to my normal, which I think contributes to feeling bad in the beginning, because I feel so slow. I have found that looking down less at my speed seems to help a bit, and I can feel when my body hits its groove. Then I don't notice how slow I am, and feel a little better.
Old 08-06-11, 03:23 PM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it is normal what you are experiencing. I usually feel good after several warm up miles. There have been times I didn't click until around 20 miles, an off day for sure, but most rides start out slow for me.
Old 08-06-11, 03:41 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I'm not sure how to answer the OP but I'm sure glad that I'm not the only one whose ride sucks during the first 7-10 miles.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-06-11, 03:48 PM
Triode

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing that may help.

Try forcing your breathing.

As a jogger, I learned that it was really important at times - particularly right at the first of a run and/or before going up a big hill, etc.

Force breathing out - really push it out - As in making a shout on the exhale.

Then after ten or so breaths start sucking in also.

Then keep a measured tempo - heavy breathing, basically a military double time cadence - you've heard them shout them out. You will normally breath in somewhat - but you will not normally force the air all the way out. Doing so, increases oxygen supply to your system primarily to your muscles.

My theory is - early on, your blood stream and system are behind the curve on supplying oxygen to your muscles - this is what makes it tough during the early part - When you smooth out, your system is supplying enough oxygen to your muscles.

When a runner "hits a wall" it is usually that he/she has entered an oxygen deficit situation. No way to win on this one. Have to stop and recover. However, if you force your breathing - you won't hit that wall -

I'm talking recreational running here, not olympic marathon runners, they may well tell you different.

I'm 65, and this system is what has made jogging roughly fifteen miles a week work for me.

Biking - not exactly the same, but in some ways this has helped me a lot - I will start breathing deeper before a grade - and as I go up, pushing harder - I breath harder and force it - and have no problems with the grade. No real hills on my route.

Worth a try, not saying it will solve your issues - but in fact may well make your situation a lot better.
Old 08-06-11, 04:25 PM
vw addict

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try warming up before the ride. You see TDFers on the trainer prior to a time trial? Guess why.
Old 08-06-11, 05:08 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Our group doesn't go hard until at least 30min. Warmup before you meet the group.