Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brooks Bar Tape

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Brooks Bar Tape

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-12, 04:42 PM
blaise_f

Bikes: Surly Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dk2ck
This is the zombie flesh I was talking about:[/img]

From here: https://russroca.blogspot.com/2007/06...-dead-cow.html
This looks good to me. Leather breaks in! It can tell stories. That said, it really depends on how the leather was dyed (and cleaned).

My "poor man's". I wouldn't do it again for $60, just saying. All that said, a shocking amount of absorption comes from the leather. Pleased.

Old 01-17-12, 07:46 PM
dk2ck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blaise_f
This looks good to me. Leather breaks in! It can tell stories. That said, it really depends on how the leather was dyed (and cleaned).
@Blaise: I'm a big fan of leather wearing in, but the blogger said that the tape turned into that after a week, which is kind of crazy in my opinion. (Plus the honey turned into what looks like a black)

The same blogger tried the Velo-Orange tape and said it held up a lot better. Picture here: from https://epicureancyclist.com/?p=879 However, what I was hoping that the new perforated Brooks tape was similar in quality of the Velo-Orange tape, because I didn't want the same issue with the Brooks tape wearing (unreasonably) fast. But so far it looks like I don't have anything to worry about with the new versions of the Brooks tape!
Old 01-18-12, 10:05 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Is that fixable with a fresh coat of shellac? I got some natural cork tape from nashbar that I plan on shellacking to match a b67 clone I have coming in the mail for a build I'm doing now. Just wondering about the life expectancy of that.
The shallac starts flaking off pretty quickly, after just a few rides. I re-shellacked once or twice, then just decided to live with it. From a distance it matches the seat, more or less. That's good enough for me. This isn't a show bike, it's a functional bike. When it's time to replace the handlebar tape, I will consider real leather, maybe even the Brooks stuff.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-18-12, 10:17 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
The shallac starts flaking off pretty quickly, after just a few rides. I re-shellacked once or twice, then just decided to live with it. From a distance it matches the seat, more or less. That's good enough for me. This isn't a show bike, it's a functional bike. When it's time to replace the handlebar tape, I will consider real leather, maybe even the Brooks stuff.
hmm, I hadn't heard that about shellack flaking off before. Most of the things I'd read people said it lasted a year or so. Of course, most of those cases talke about using it on cloth tape so that might be different than the cork you used (and I plan on using).

Old 01-18-12, 12:38 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I think it looks like worn leather. At a glance it looks fine. If not being perfect is going to drive you nuts, I wouldn't do it.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-23-12, 09:44 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
I've had the opposite experience, very pleasurable when the temps drop, seems to stay cool in the summer but very slippery in the rain ( dangerously so!!). An additonal bonus is that it holds up well in a minor crash!! Ah Frenchfit, your on the left coast and I'm on the right coast...that must explain it? I do have to say I prefer cloth over leather in the end.
You are right on, we have very dry summers...low humidity. Nice for riding, but leather drys out fast. If you treat it is turns nasty on hot days. And like you said, once it gets a little wet and cold, they are crazy slippery. If you bike is in a climate controlled space most of the day, I guess it doesn't much matter. I had honey tape on a bike that had lots of full day sun rides, and dozens of night rides - big mistake.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 01-23-12 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-18-12, 06:13 PM
Quiet Mike

Bikes: 1933 BSA Sports, 1934 Raleigh Sports Model, 1948 Humber Club Sports, 1946 Hobbs of Barbican, c1955 Cliff Peters, c1930's Watsonian sidecar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread and others helped me out a lot at the weekend. I was deliberating about whether to go for Brooks tape or not for a couple of weeks, and when I did bite the bullet they helped me work out the best way to wrap my bars. Very happy with the result and look forward to putting some miles on them now.

Brooks Honey Bar Tape by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/2905150...th/7389402184/
Old 06-18-12, 06:24 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Quiet Mike
This thread and others helped me out a lot at the weekend. I was deliberating about whether to go for Brooks tape or not for a couple of weeks, and when I did bite the bullet they helped me work out the best way to wrap my bars. Very happy with the result and look forward to putting some miles on them now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/2905150...th/7389402184/
Did you start at the bottom and wrap upward or at the top and wrap downward? Just curious...
Old 06-18-12, 06:29 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
One thing I don't like with the Brooks tape is it looks too lumpy on the bar. Dont they taper/thin down the leather at the edges to avoid this??. The lumpyness makes the wrap look kinda cheap IMO. I also think that the perforations on the tape make the bar look too busy. A non-perfirated version if available, might look much better.

Chombi
Old 06-18-12, 07:26 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by photogravity
Did you start at the bottom and wrap upward or at the top and wrap downward? Just curious...
Dallas, see the cloth wrap up near the stem? That is the finishing tape Brooks supplies with the leather bar wrap. Quiet Mike wrapped from the bottom end to the top near the stem.

One thing I was surprised to learn after buying and installing the Brooks bar tape, is that it's made in China. I had assumed it was made in England near the saddles.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 06-19-12, 12:59 AM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
Being a cork tape kind of guy. I'm not a big fan of leather bar tape. I have newer perforated Brooks tape on my Ciocc and not a big fan of it. I feel like I'm just grabbing onto the bare bar with nothing on it. I'm a soft and squishy kind of bar tape guy. It looks nice though!
Old 06-19-12, 02:19 AM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
One thing I don't like with the Brooks tape is it looks too lumpy on the bar. Dont they taper/thin down the leather at the edges to avoid this??. The lumpyness makes the wrap look kinda cheap IMO. I also think that the perforations on the tape make the bar look too busy. A non-perfirated version if available, might look much better.

Chombi

For that, you may want to check out;
https://handlebra.com/
Old 06-19-12, 02:20 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
I've had the opposite experience, very pleasurable when the temps drop, seems to stay cool in the summer but very slippery in the rain ( dangerously so!!). An additonal bonus is that it holds up well in a minor crash!! Ah Frenchfit, your on the left coast and I'm on the right coast...that must explain it? I do have to say I prefer cloth over leather in the end.
Go to your local tack/equestrian store and pick up some Sadl-Tite when it's going to be rainy. Never used it on bar tape, but it sure helped me keep my seat when doing cross-country courses in the rain.

ETA: Here's a pic -
Old 06-19-12, 03:53 AM
Quiet Mike

Bikes: 1933 BSA Sports, 1934 Raleigh Sports Model, 1948 Humber Club Sports, 1946 Hobbs of Barbican, c1955 Cliff Peters, c1930's Watsonian sidecar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
One thing I don't like with the Brooks tape is it looks too lumpy on the bar. Dont they taper/thin down the leather at the edges to avoid this??. The lumpyness makes the wrap look kinda cheap IMO.
Chombi
The leather was thinner at the edges for about 3 or 4mm in, on both sides. One side wasn't more tapered than the other, as I saw on another tape while I was googling reference, which I guess is the only way you'd really smooth out the finish. Even that still looked 'lumpy' though. I like the lumpy look though myself :-/

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
One thing I was surprised to learn after buying and installing the Brooks bar tape, is that it's made in China. I had assumed it was made in England near the saddles.
China you say? I'm surprised as well! I had thought it was made in Italy? When I looked into buying direct from Brooks England (and I live in England), I was very disappointed to see I had to pay extra for shipping from Italy. I ended up buying my tape from someone on Amazon instead, all in for under Brooks price before the postage. It's worth shopping around.

And I read on some older threads Brooks tapes had stitched joins in the leather? Mine was all one piece.
Old 06-19-12, 03:56 AM
Quiet Mike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry III
Being a cork tape kind of guy. I'm not a big fan of leather bar tape. I have newer perforated Brooks tape on my Ciocc and not a big fan of it. I feel like I'm just grabbing onto the bare bar with nothing on it. I'm a soft and squishy kind of bar tape guy. It looks nice though!
Only done a few miles on mine so far, but you are right. As others have said as well, there isn't much cushioning at all in it.
Old 06-19-12, 04:03 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Mike,

Check the Brooks website, that is where I first noticed it was made in China, so I checked the box just to confirm. Still it is well made. Mine was one piece like yours.

This is the second season on a bike I ride often, and it appears to hold well, and like a Brooks saddle, ages with distinction (as opposed to "time to replace this mess").

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 06-19-12, 04:08 AM
not_me

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Dallas, see the cloth wrap up near the stem? That is the finishing tape Brooks supplies with the leather bar wrap. Quiet Mike wrapped from the bottom end to the top near the stem.

With the Brooks you started at the bottom and wrapped towards the stem. With the handlebra you wrapped from the stem outwards. Maybe your hands are loosening the tape and pushing up the edges (of the handlebra).

I've always started at the bottom and wrapped to the stem as that's the way I learned from sheldon's site. Never have any problems with unwrapping, even with the $10 tape I typically use.
Old 06-19-12, 06:14 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Put Brooks tape into the category of things I want to like, but don't. It looks great, I like that it's reusable...but its Achilles heel is how slick it gets in the rain or with perspiration. They HAVE to be ridden with gloves in my experience, and there are times I don't want to ride gloves. As far as the feel, I prefer most synthetic tapes.

The Handlebra stuff is a little better, but it's too thin. The owner recommends putting tape under it.