Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shiman freehub body very loud bearings. Should I clean it and lube it or it's junk?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shiman freehub body very loud bearings. Should I clean it and lube it or it's junk?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-16, 06:31 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The bearings in my Shimano R500 rear wheel are super loud. Im sure it's the freehub body, it only makes the sound when the hub is freewheeling.

Should I take off the freehub body, drop it in some solvent, and lube it with oil? Is that going to get rid of the noise, or the bearings and bearing surfaces are worn, and I need a new complete freehub body?

I dissasembled freehub bodies before, don't really want to do that now. Not a fun job.
Old 06-25-16, 06:42 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Facanh
Should I take off the freehub body, drop it in some solvent, and lube it with oil?
That, along with overhauling the hub bearings while at it, is what I'd do.

-Bandera
Old 06-25-16, 07:59 AM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sadly it's not better. Maybe a tiny bit. The bearing itself is almost as loud as the pawls in the freehub...
Old 06-25-16, 08:04 AM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly it's not better. Maybe a tiny bit. The bearing itself is almost as loud as the pawls in the freehub...
Same boat here. Going to build new wheels after I settle the axle length issue of 130 vs 135 for my frame.
Old 06-25-16, 08:28 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts

It was worth a try.

A new freehub might be less cost effective than relegating the noisy wheel to rain bike status if you are concerned about a failure in service and replacing it w/ a new wheel for distance riding. All of the rear cassette wheels that I have in service are Shimano Ultegra/RS quality. Durable, easy to service, affordable and very smooth if the cones are properly adjusted.

-Bandera
Old 06-25-16, 10:40 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
How much are you willing to spend on that bike?

Freehub bodies aren't too expensive but I usually recycle mine from trashed rear wheels. Those are generally easy to find. I must confess to never having opened up a freehub body because they are so fast, easy and cheap to replace.
Old 06-25-16, 11:22 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

Freehub bodies aren't too expensive but I usually recycle mine from trashed rear wheels. Those are generally easy to find. I must confess to never having opened up a freehub body because they are so fast, easy and cheap to replace.
I agree. Many shops that I have been to have a box of hubs from trashed wheels (dead rims) that the customer did not want...with nothing wrong but not being a part of a wheel. You could buy the hub to get the freehub off, or buy a new freehub altogether. I shouldn't expect a new one at retail to cost more than $35-40.

Of course, if this is an excuse to buy new wheels, well...
Old 06-25-16, 02:30 PM
Facanh

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

Not sure. I found freehub bodies for this model, and you're right they're not that expensive. Although I might just use it as is for a while. It sounds rough but it works and there is no play in it.

I opened up one freehub body, and it was pointless. It's just like a cup and cone hub. If the bearing surfaces are worn out you can't do anything about it.

Last edited by Facanh; 06-25-16 at 03:08 PM.