Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Need a fitness bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-16, 10:33 AM
Kanepashi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need a fitness bike

Ok, so i gave up the road bike dream for now. I need not want, i need a fitness bike that i can customise the handle to a drop handle bar. The only reason i am changing the handle is because i got a flat handle bars and after an hour my palms start hurting, and they cool😎, so i long for a handle bar that lets me change hand position.

I dont know the defference btwn fitness bike and roadbike other than fitness are meant for heavy rider, but if i could put atleast 50/32 casete and drop bar that would be my dream road bike.

I do this because my body gets muscle, i am killing myself to lose weight i tough i was on 275, but was on 285lb damn broken scale, 284lb whit work cloth so yes i lost weight but its not enough i gained so much muscle from my legs and arms, i am very stocky, you wouldnt belive i am 284lb unless i told you. My body looks slim because of how thick / stocky and strong big back i am. Its driving me nuts. So i am just going for a fitness bike that has the possibility for drop handle bars.

So long story short

Fitness bike, that can be customize in time or on the sport for a roadbike.

Ex changing tires to 28mm or something.

This bikes has to last till i get 220. I need to change my rusty steel one. I dont care abt steel , alloy or carbon woulnt know the defference, since i ride a heavy ride ardy.
Thx in adv.
Old 06-25-16, 11:30 AM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pick a fitness bike you like. Put some Ergon GP3 grips on it. Maybe trim an inch off each end of the bar if the bars feel too wide or buy a 580 width on Amazon for $20. Most come with 620mm now and even as a big guy I downsized to a 580 as it was more comfortable. 620 felt like I was wasting resources in a climb. It just didn't feel right, but everyone is different.
Old 06-25-16, 12:04 PM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Check out the Giant Anyroad, Salsa Vaya, and bikes from other makers under the "cyclocross" or similar type heading.

There are a lot of them from which to choose.

I'm a noob, but I'm studying up on stuff, and will probably get another bike, quite possibly something like those, this winter.

The grips are a good idea, too, I think. Good luck.
Old 06-25-16, 12:12 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
If you want a bike with drop bars, buy a bike with drop bars. While it is possible to modify a bike with flat bars to drops, it is expensive. If you go with a flat bar bike, you will regret it.

My suggestion? Salsa Vaya, Jamis Renegade, Jamis Quest comp, Giant AnyRoad, Kona Rove, All City Space Horse, All city Mr. Pink, Surly Straggler, Surly Pacer, or Fairdale Weekender drop.

This is not an exhaustive list, but rather a starting point. I am sure there are other drop bar road bikes that can handle your weight that you can find.
Old 06-25-16, 12:14 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Don't give up on a road bike.... if that is what you want get the one you want and change the stem (hold the bars) to one that gives you a more upright position.

I went from the stock 110 degree stem to a 140 degree stem while the 125 degree stem that is perfect for me was on order.

And yes I would look at an Anyroad or other gravel/Cyclocross bikes too.

I currently am back to a 110 degree stem, but the geometry of this frame puts it very close to what I was on the other frame with a 125 degree stem.

Cycling shouldn't be uncomfortable.

No matter what bike you buy get a proper bike fit as it will allow you to ride further more comfortably, and if you are more comfortable you are more likely to ride more frequently.

I am currently 360 pounds riding a carbon fiber road bike (Orbea Orca) in 60cm.
Old 06-25-16, 12:20 PM
Turzy

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not a road bike? At your weight you wouldn't have a problem, there are ppl on here who are heavier than you, and they ride road bikes.
I ride a CX bike, C'dale CAADX (weight limit of 330 lbs), basically, they are sturdier road bikes...
Old 06-25-16, 12:35 PM
Kanepashi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx for the answers, gave me a lot of material to research now, i just felt i reached a dead end. All youtube videos are super slim people riding these bikes. Anyways thx a lot guys shoulnt lose my hope, i just want to ride so bad. I want to get a new bike, my bike is rusty ardy and twisted wheels lol.
Old 06-25-16, 04:16 PM
Kanepashi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After looking i got a shop called paradise something, it has the giant anyroad looks rly good. Wanted the renegade but there is no jamis shops around.
Old 06-29-16, 02:39 PM
BaseGuy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale CAAD10; 1987 Cannondale R400/600; 1997 Specialized Rockhopper Homemade Hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kanepashi,

I started at 290. I used my old 1997 Specialized MTB (steel, no suspension), and put 1.5" x 26" slick tires on it. It was great. It was plenty strong for me (riding on paved rail-trails).

It was fun, was plenty fast (slicks make a HUGE difference vs. MTB knobbies!!!), reliable, and cheap (you can find similar ones on Craigslist for $100-$150 all day long).

During my two years riding this thing, I learned a lot about myself, how I like to ride, what I liked, and didn't like, etc. Then I bought a new road bike.

I still have the old, steel, homemade hybrid, and still ride it when I want to plunk around, or when the weather is bad, and it's still a great ride.
Old 06-30-16, 04:15 AM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will agree with others, test ride some road bikes.

Giant Defy and Fuji Sportif are two examples of what is often referred to as "relaxed" geometry....each maker has a "name" for that. The growing field of "gravel" bikes share some of those features too, and will run bigger tires. Another key word for less racy geometry is "endurance" geometry.

Saddle tilt front to back has a HUGE impact IMHO in how a bike feels....if it is nose down IMHO it feels like a lot more weight is on your hands because you your trying to shove yourself back onto the seat, so as you test ride look for that and ask them to help get that ....if you can ride 2-3 bikes at a good shop once they get the first one setup they can get the next bikes ready while your out riding.

Old school was that skinny tires, as skinny as 19mm were "fastest" but more and more real world data is showing lower tire pressure is faster, and you need a bigger wider tire to run lower pressure. If you can get strong enough to ride faster a wider tire starts to add wind drag but not if your at 14-16 mph average speed.

You will read and hear a lot about "race" geometry being more twitchy but I was surprised to see that with over 1000 miles on relaxed geometry race geometry did not feel that way at all....of course I'm not doing 50mph descents so maybe it shows up then :-)