Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Women on Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 09:44 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I'm 68 and I ride, currently car-lite and going car-free this fall. My riding encouraged my adult son to buy a bike and now he is car free and commutes by bike. I don't feel any less secure on my bike than I do walking - if someone is going to mess with me being on a bike isn't going to matter one way or the other. I wouldn't tour solo but then I wouldn't travel solo either; might have done when I was younger and still felt invincible. But any concerns or hesitations about my safety aren't related to the bike, just society. I think more women will ride as infrastructure improves; I see more women out now than ever before and I often see them on bike share riding with their kids. Bike share may be a great gateway to increasing female ridership.
Old 03-14-18, 10:01 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
If you do form a women's group, I suggest you teach (or have someone teach) how to ride in traffic comfortably and safely. There is a gap between the perception of safety and actual safety. Cycling is safer than many things, including riding in a car, but no one believes that. One big factor that may even be the biggest factor in safety is skill. And skill can be taught. It's more important than a helmet in my view. I've taught the skills. You can become an instructor, too.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-14-18, 10:25 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Women on Bikes
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
More power to the women who ride. I started riding again 18 years ago when I turned 50. I rode with two sisters,one of which was my wife's colleague from work. Being an overweight middle age couch potato, but an ex-bike racer, it was embarrassing having them wait for me on the big hills….

At first it was weird, because their husbands are not riders, and my wife doesn't ride either. The spouses have been very supportive, and understanding.

One other thing, last Saturday, I rode the Solvang half century in rain all day, and was amazed by the ratio of women to men riders, I think it was more than 50% women. Go girls!
I’m reminded of this post, that introduced me to the term MAMIL (Middle-Aged Men In Lycra), the subject of a recent documentary, with a link to an article:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I posted a link about this movie to our Metro Boston thread on the Northeast Regional Discussion Forum.

BTW, the link to the webpage, Oh the shame of being married to a MAMIL,was from a thread, from 12/11/14, Anybody recognize this man? by @Gerryattrick.[written disdainfully from the wife’s point of view]
Originally Posted by tsl
Meanwhile,she's standing around in a hooker red mini-dress and Joan Crawford come-eff-me pumps.

Who's having the midlife crisis?

Please. As the saying goes, when you point one finger, you have three pointing back at you.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Yesterday a colleague was telling me that her husband was taking up cycling, and I told her about MAMILS (Middle-Aged Men in Lycra; though I think cycling keeps us at least "middle-aged" ).

She said he's not not into Lycra, and I replied, "But he will be."
Stand by your man?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-14-18 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 10:29 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Women want to ride with other women. When they see happy women enjoying themselves they want to participate too. It is as simple as that.
I'm a woman and I don't particularly care whether I ride with other women or not. I want to have an enjoyable ride, so I want to ride with people I get along with, who are motivated by the same things I am, and who are physiologically my peers.

I ride with men, I ride with women.

A lot of women's cycling groups focus more on the social aspect of cycling- bonding, waiting for each other, encouraging each other. Sometimes I find that women have an "attitude" against riding hard, or fast, or pushing your own limits. So if you want to do any of those things, it can just be easier to ride with men. (Interestingly I notice women often zero "attitude" about riding far.)

However, your typical male has a serious physiologic advantage over your typical woman, so for women there can be limits to riding with men who want to push hard, ride fast, or push their limits. So sometimes in the end, its easier to ride solo, at least for me.

So that's my approach- I ride with women who are a little more intense/athletic, or men, or solo. Whatever suits my purposes. I save riding with my mellow women friends for rides where I'm just noodling around, or tired, or recovering.

I have almost zero interest in running errands on my bike or commuting. Mostly because my helmet messes up my hair and I don't really want to be running errands sweaty or disheveled (I am fine with being sweaty or disheveled). Same reason I wouldn't do a gym workout and then head to the grocery store. Also: I have some expensive bikes, don't want to worry about them when I'm in a store or wherever. Nor do I want to buy a 5th el cheapo bike to run errands and then have to deal with limits in what I can haul around, or having my bag of groceries stolen if I make a second stop. Just huge logistics to surmount, its so much easier to just run errands in the car.

That said, however, I usually put 2x miles per year on my bike vs my car. I commute to work on a train and moved to a town where everything is close to my home.
Old 03-14-18, 10:31 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I got my sister a bike for xmas, but I don't think that she's used it yet.

She lives in Arcata, where I also lived BITD. She rode in the past, so it will probably happen.

Lots of women out mtn biking in my area- solo, small groups, mixed groups;

my local club has ~40% women but a little less actually riding.
Old 03-14-18, 11:57 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
There's probably two different issues here, cycling for sports/exercise/fun and cyling for transportation (which can be fun and is healthy). If women don't feel free or safe to cycle for transportation, there's a problem with cycling that should be fixed asap. But if it's for sports I couldn't care less.

Here (Netherlands) is very safe but 9 out 10 road cyclists with their drop bars, spandex and helmets are men. The important thing is that women got the option to do so if they want without safety concerns holding them back, I guess they just don't feel like it. That's fine with me, I don't care much for road cycling either and to be honest the road cyclists are quite a nuisance on the cycle paths so less is better. People should practice the sport they really like, I just don't know many women who like speed in general or road cycling. Personal preferences don't need to be spread evenly over both sexes.

I know a lot of women that cycle for transportation and quite like it, the majority of transportation cyclists here is female, but that's entirely different. Lots of them do 'masculine' sports like football, rugby or boxing, but hardly any road cycling, and they don't like to take care of their upright bike either. I'm sure they are liberated enough not to consider patching a tyre a man's job, they just consider it a LBS' job.
Old 03-14-18, 06:50 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
PLENTY of women bikers where I live.
Likes For Dirt Farmer:
Old 03-14-18, 07:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Women want to ride with other women. When they see happy women enjoying themselves they want to participate too. It is as simple as that.
Some women may want to ride with other women ... but that's never been a priority for me. I have ridden with other women, and it's OK, but most of my riding has been with men.

One of the problems with women's cycling clubs in the areas where I've lived is that they tend to focus on really short casual rides. That might be OK for a rest weekend, but in general, that kind of thing doesn't appeal to me.

For example, a couple weeks ago there was a "Women on Wheels" event here. It cost $20 and included sandwiches after the ride ... and the ride was "a relaxed 20km ride". Yes, I know that there are women at that level who would enjoy that sort of thing. But it's just not worth it for me ... or really, for a number of the women I've seen out and about.

If they had a ride that was a bit more of a challenge, I'd be more interested. But meanwhile, I just keep doing my own thing.
Old 03-14-18, 10:02 PM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was a teenager I spent a lot of mornings chasing a 20 something co-Ed that was renting from my grandparents on rides. It was glorious...and motivating...��
Old 03-14-18, 10:13 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
+1 to starting a women's club or group. In just the second year of the local weekly women's shop ride, there were enough women that we were able to split into a faster/climbing group and a moderate paced/flatter group.

I think it also helps that two of our local shops are owned, or co-owned, by women. Since the shop near my house came under new ownership (a husband and wife, both of whom are cyclists) I've noticed a better selection of women's bikes and apparel, as well as more equipment for family cycling (trailers, e-bikes, etc.) They've also started organizing bike related events for women (fix a flat clinic, etc.)

I suspect that part of the issue - at least for recreational cycling - is one of confidence: not fear of traffic, but a lack of confidence about athletic ability, group riding skills, and so forth. I work in a profession that is 80% male, and I see this all the time in that context; women who are just as smart and talented feel like they're not good enough, but they really just lack confidence in their abilities.

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
One possible issue is that women in the US have less spare time.
I think this is definitely the case, once one reaches outside the confines of the upper middle class. In my working class neighborhood, women are pretty busy...well, working, sometimes multiple jobs, often while taking care of children or grandchildren and/or going to school. The handful of female bike commuters that I know - myself included - tend to not have children, or have children old enough to fend for themselves.

In terms of recreational riding, I ride with a lot of K-12 teachers.

Originally Posted by CliffordK

And, a month or so ago, I had someone slow down, then some garbage sailed past me into the bushes.
Yeah, this happened to me on Tuesday. I got the plate and model/make of the vehicle, so those kiddos are going to have a nice littering ticket
Old 03-14-18, 10:17 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Originally Posted by Machka

For example, a couple weeks ago there was a "Women on Wheels" event here. It cost $20 and included sandwiches after the ride ... and the ride was "a relaxed 20km ride". Yes, I know that there are women at that level who would enjoy that sort of thing. But it's just not worth it for me ... or really, for a number of the women I've seen out and about.
That sounds...awful.

I've noticed that some of the women's clubs in other communities tend to take more of that approach: relaxed pace with treats at the end. I feel very lucky to have found some women's groups that are up for 40-50 mile rides, or even an occasional century!
Old 03-14-18, 10:58 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by wipekitty
That sounds...awful.

I've noticed that some of the women's clubs in other communities tend to take more of that approach: relaxed pace with treats at the end. I feel very lucky to have found some women's groups that are up for 40-50 mile rides, or even an occasional century!
It's almost as though someone thinks all women are either beginners or are simply incapable of doing more.

If the event had the option of riding a 20 km (12 mile) distance or a 120 km distance my interest level would have gone way up!
Old 03-15-18, 03:35 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
That sounds...awful.

I think if the goal is to get more women riding, or let's say even more people riding regardless of gender, that shorter rides will typically be more appealing to non-riders / newbies than longer rides. Everyone here is familiar with the reaction of non-riders if you tell them you went for a 50 mile ride. They think that's near super human effort.
Old 03-15-18, 04:07 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by billyymc
I think if the goal is to get more women riding, or let's say even more people riding regardless of gender, that shorter rides will typically be more appealing to non-riders / newbies than longer rides. Everyone here is familiar with the reaction of non-riders if you tell them you went for a 50 mile ride. They think that's near super human effort.

The trouble is, that's about all we get here. One 20 km (12 mile) ride for women. That might be a good start ... but there needs to be follow up or other options or something.

If someone cared enough to take women from the couch to a century, they'd actually create a program with a progressing ...... like running organisations do.
Old 03-15-18, 05:15 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Lots of women ride all sorts of bikes here in Adelaide. Not as many as men but observation suggests it's not far off 40%. Maybe it's a cultural problem in your area.
Old 03-15-18, 05:43 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Whether or not women ride bikes is not a "problem." Who cares? Free will and all that.

How many women compared to how many men? Equally meaningless.

However ... as a cyclist who really enjoys cycling, if I can identify things which might be keeping people from trying something I find so enjoyable, I might look to address some of those issues.

A "cultural" thing? That's like people who say "Everything is politics." Everything plays a factor.

I like to be more practical ... and it seems ot me that there are two issues, one making cycling more appealing in general, and the other, specific concerns women have.

Safety is the biggest issue from conversations I have heard---not safety for women afraid of getting assaulted, but safety from drivers who can kill a cyclist casually and accidentally. Cycling infrastructure, particularly for transport/utility/commuter cyclists seems important.

Other than that ... it falls squarely on the shoulders of female cyclists who want other women to have the opportunity, to reach out in whatever fashion.

If guys do it ... well, I am old, fat, ugly, and so married that I don't even flirt ... so I am considered a "creepy old man." If I were younger, I would be considered a "typical dog." It can be hard to talk to women because it seems so many think there must be an ulterior motive.

On another site this topic was mentioned, and one of the riding ladies there recounted a story about a friend who wouldn't join a slow group ride (all women) because she knew the lady rider was a racer and was afraid it would turn into a speed-fest.

I understand how someone like Machka would have no use for a 20-k ride followed by muffins and chocolate but maybe "beginner" rides like that are the most important thing ... to get new riders onto a bike and to show them that they actually can ride in a group and not get dropped ... and even have time to chat about it afterwards. Maybe in a couple years that "riding for the muffins" lady will be challenging Rowan and Machka on some 1200-k randonees.

(Not suggesting that Machka should support such rides ... just that they are probably the necessary first step.)

Maybe what is needed there is someone in that cycling club to step up and say, "Hey, anyone who is interested, we can do longer and/or quicker rides too ... just say what you are up for." Sort of help those riders who so desire, to reach the next stage.

I know in the slow Sunday ride I join, most of the riders are either seriously recovering, or really impatient because boat-anchors like me are barely able to climb a three-percent hill. But one rider has twice led me out when nobody else showed up---I told him, "Hey, do your ride, you don't need to shepherd me," but he insisted.

And after leading me on 35-40 agonizingly slow miles (slow for him, agonizing for me) he went of on a fast 70-miler just to clear out the gunk that had built up in his legs leading my lame butt around.

Do the tea-and-crumpets ride to support the team and then tell them, "I am doing some more riding---want to burn off those muffins?" Maybe some will want to, eventually?

Whatever.

There is only one "problem" regarding cycling---not enough time to ride.

Last edited by Maelochs; 03-15-18 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 06:13 AM
IamAlan

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp, 2006 Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Whether or not women ride bikes is not a "problem." Who cares? Free will and all that...

How many women compared to how many men? Equally meaningless...

Whatever.

^^^^^^^
THIS!
Old 03-15-18, 07:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I understand how someone like Machka would have no use for a 20-k ride followed by muffins and chocolate but maybe "beginner" rides like that are the most important thing ... to get new riders onto a bike and to show them that they actually can ride in a group and not get dropped ... and even have time to chat about it afterwards. Maybe in a couple years that "riding for the muffins" lady will be challenging Rowan and Machka on some 1200-k randonees.

(Not suggesting that Machka should support such rides ... just that they are probably the necessary first step.)

Maybe what is needed there is someone in that cycling club to step up and say, "Hey, anyone who is interested, we can do longer and/or quicker rides too ... just say what you are up for." Sort of help those riders who so desire, to reach the next stage.
Actually ... we do try.

I have no problem with the existence of the 20 km ride ... I do have a problem with ride organisations who just leave it at that.

So, one of the things we've promoted in our cycling club (which is a long distance cycling club and not associated with the organisation who runs the 20 km ride) is the idea of a Nouveau Series. The short distance in the Nouveau Series is 50 km. Do the 20 km ride ... do some more riding ... then come join us on our 50 km ride.

But although there is some expressed interest, it doesn't seem to translate into actual interest. Maybe the jump from 20 to 50 is just too far. Not quite sure.

And although I think there might be other cycling clubs out there with a variety of rides, for some reason they are not easy to track down. I've been trying, and I thought I had located all of them, but just found another one the other day. They don't advertise. Links on websites are broken. Websites lead nowhere. And when I have made enquiries to two or three main cycling associations, they don't seem to know. It's really strange.
Old 03-15-18, 07:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
But although there is some expressed interest, it doesn't seem to translate into actual interest. Maybe the jump from 20 to 50 is just too far. Not quite sure.
That would be my guess. if a person does a distance and is then asked, "How'd you like to go More than twice as far next time?" it sounds like a huge thing.

What our slow Sunday ride has bandied about is on days when there are no new/weaker/unwell folks, maybe adding a little extra loop ... and then another if people want, and another, until finally someone says "Time to head back."

I don't know. I don't know the group, the organizers, the roads ... I barely know where New Zealand is (but I know Fall is approaching ... better get them riding soon.) I would ask them if they wanted to do an extra 5K or something before the muffins .... or offer a 30K ride .... or just ask people what they want.

Me ... being really slick with the ladies ( ) I'd probably say, "I know some of you talk about going a little longer---what did you have in mind? Honestly, if you can do 20 K as easily as you do, you wouldn't notice 30 K ... maybe 25? We can do 50 ---or less if you like. Who is up for a little bit longer ride next week?"

I know the first time I did the Sunday ride I had trepidation because the listed distance was (I thought) easy ... but the organizer (a lady as it happens) told me it was a loop, so I thought it was twice that distance ... and that would have been within 20 K of my current comfortable max range.

It wasn't that I wouldn't have been able to do it ... it is that the last 15 K wouldn't have been unpleasant.

Some novice cyclist who feels a little soreness or tightness in the calves after 20 K might hear "50K" and think "Oh, that would hurt," and not try 30 ... perhaps.

Whatever.
Old 03-15-18, 07:55 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Whether or not women ride bikes is not a "problem." Who cares? Free will and all that.

How many women compared to how many men? Equally meaningless.

However ... as a cyclist who really enjoys cycling, if I can identify things which might be keeping people from trying something I find so enjoyable, I might look to address some of those issues...

Originally Posted by IamAlan
^^^^^^
THIS!

Nice reply, @Maelochs, regarding the thread topic, and the underlined aside. As a fellow cycling commuter @ItsJustMe posts in his signature:
Originally Posted by IJM (from Michigan)
Work:the 8 hours that separates bike rides.
JIM (from Boston)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-15-18 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-15-18, 08:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I don't know. I don't know the group, the organizers, the roads ... I barely know where New Zealand is (but I know Fall is approaching ... better get them riding soon.) I would ask them if they wanted to do an extra 5K or something before the muffins .... or offer a 30K ride .... or just ask people what they want.
New Zealand is away across the water to the right of us.

And we can only do what our particular cycling organisation approves ... and right now, because we are Audax Australia, the shortest ride we offer is 50 km. Our main focus is on the much longer rides because that's what Audax/Randonneuring organisations focus on.

Which is why I've been trying to find all these other, fairly well hidden, clubs to see what they offer. A few of them should offer rides that would bridge the gap, and at least one seems to ... and maybe also the one I just located the other day. I have to find out a bit more about that one.

I'm just not overly pleased with the cycling organisation who ran the 20 km ride without any perceptible, "now that you've done this, maybe you'd be interested in ... " But then again, I wasn't there, so maybe they were all given a brochure of some sort at the ride, and just didn't mentioned anything anywhere on their website ad.
Old 03-15-18, 08:10 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
For example, a couple weeks ago there was a "Women on Wheels" event here. It cost $20 and included sandwiches after the ride
Must... resist... urge... to... make... joke...
Old 03-15-18, 08:54 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Men sweat. Women glisten.
No, Horses sweat, men perspire, women glow. Maybe an old victorian quote?
Old 03-15-18, 10:27 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
I believe it starts earlier in life when we teach our sons about cars, mechanics, building, and electronics. Yet "We" check the oil, change the tire, fix everything for our daughters. So a multi speed bicycle seems more complex and sometimes intimidating. I have two sons and two daughters, my girls were trained/taught to be as fearless as my boys. But whether they choose to ride or not will be based on desire and not intimidation with no need for organizations, committees, associations , and the like.
This.
Old 03-15-18, 10:52 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Originally Posted by billyymc
Yes...and that's what beginners groups are for!

The LBS closest to my house is starting one this year, and I think it will be a big draw for women and men alike. From there, one can progress to the women-specific or mixed gender moderate and fast groups, if desired.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.