Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is considered a "light" bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What is considered a "light" bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-18, 05:58 PM
SCRcat6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandonyatessr
Chill bro... What I "basically" said, is what I "actually" posted. I just wanted to get a consensus of what normal people are happy with before I start getting weird about saving weight... Don't turn this into a thing... I like being involved with the forum and am happy to be here. Thank you for your comments, I hope you have a fantastic day... I know I will.
I'm not sure what was aggressive about my post but I'll own it,so sorry I came off "un-chill". The point I was trying to make was that upgrade-itis comes soon enough, and not to rush it by asking for it here.. I did have a fantastic day and I'm glad that my aggression didn't affect yours!
Old 06-06-18, 09:23 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I've had plenty of people tell me about how super lightweight their brother in laws (or such) fancy bike is. They always mention how they could lift it with two fingers, (demonstrating with their fingers out) so I'm pretty sure this is the standard measurement for a "light" bike.
I can lift my bikes with one 1 finger, but is harder to balance them!
Old 06-07-18, 05:14 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just wanted to get a consensus of what normal people are happy with before I start getting weird about saving weight.
You've come to the wrong place.
Knowing that race bikes are supposed to be light, lets look at how light entry-level race bikes are - kind of like: how light does a bike have to be to "qualify?" Turns out it's typically in the 18-19 lb range. So if you aren't planning on racing and your bike is already much under 20 lbs, you're solidly in the "light enough" category. Honestly, my favorite bike weighs around 19 lbs., and I feel like 18-19 lbs is sort of Goldilocks weight - not too heavy, not too light, juuuust right. I've never really raced it because I've always had a lighter bike, but I suppose I could, and it would be OK, depending on the event. Being steel, it would turn a few heads, though.
Old 06-07-18, 05:37 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I've had plenty of people tell me about how super lightweight their brother in laws (or such) fancy bike is. They always mention how they could lift it with two fingers, (demonstrating with their fingers out) so I'm pretty sure this is the standard measurement for a "light" bike.
I've seen an ad on CL using this new standard as well. The bike had 'curved' bars too.
Old 06-07-18, 09:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 1500SLR
There is no real correlation between bike cost and bike weight.
This.

A lot of people spend $$$ to make their bike heavier. Don't believe me? How much lighter would your crank/pedals/hub be without the power meter?
Old 06-07-18, 09:49 AM
Seattle Forrest

Yep. I've been told about legendary bikes people have seen that you could lift with a finger or two. That's the really impressive stuff right there.
Old 06-07-18, 10:04 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
This.
How much lighter would your crank/pedals/hub be without the power meter?
About 50 grams. My K-Force handlebar happens to be exactly 50g lighter than the Omega Compact it replaced. Zero sum.
Old 06-07-18, 10:20 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Yep. I've been told about legendary bikes people have seen that you could lift with a finger or two. That's the really impressive stuff right there.
We were discussing this yesterday while finishing the build of my friend's Speedvagen. One of the guys commented that it was "one-finger" light, and we all snickered and rolled our eyes. He was just joking, but it started a conversation about why people lie about "knowing a guy with a bike that weighs about 5 pounds".
Old 06-07-18, 10:37 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by DrIsotope

About 50 grams. My K-Force handlebar happens to be exactly 50g lighter than the Omega Compact it replaced. Zero sum.
Which PM are you running? I think mine adds about half a pound.
Old 06-07-18, 10:54 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

A power2max on a Rotor 3D+ crank. The PM replaces the factory spider, so it only adds that 50g.
Old 06-07-18, 11:34 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
i can't find how much my bike weighs. It's a 2015 Orbea Avant with mecanical ultegra... Can't seem to find the exact weight.
Weight does not matter, grasshopper. Only amount of time to ride does. Seriously, just ride it and be happy that you have a bike that is newer than both of my bikes.
Old 06-07-18, 11:45 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
We were discussing this yesterday while finishing the build of my friend's Speedvagen. One of the guys commented that it was "one-finger" light, and we all snickered and rolled our eyes. He was just joking, but it started a conversation about why people lie about "knowing a guy with a bike that weighs about 5 pounds".
Some of it is probably just people being terrible at estimating weight. Perception of object weight is heavily influenced by visual expectation, and to some degree how the object sits in the hand. A 20lb bike often doesn't "feel heavier" to someone than a jug of milk.

Another thing that people are terrible at guessing is hill steepness...
Old 06-07-18, 11:59 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Some of it is probably just people being terrible at estimating weight. Perception of object weight is heavily influenced by visual expectation, and to some degree how the object sits in the hand. A 20lb bike often doesn't "feel heavier" to someone than a jug of milk.
That's probably true. It's never a cyclist that makes one of those statements.
Old 06-07-18, 01:58 PM
alexdi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Light is more than it used to be. My hybrid, a converted 1X flat-bar that was originally a mid-2000s Giant endurance road bike, is lighter than my actual 2017 road bike. Disc brakes, aero wheels, aero frames, wide tires, thru-axles... it's death by a thousand cuts. If you're content with rim brakes, you can get into the 15-pound range in the low four-digits. Hitting the same mark with discs gets used-car expensive.
Old 06-07-18, 02:21 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

Same here- Quarg spider, 50g.
Old 06-07-18, 03:28 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I've seen an ad on CL using this new standard as well. The bike had 'curved' bars too.
For handlebars, I prefer (and have seen) drop bars described as "curly bars".

Old 06-07-18, 04:28 PM
noodle soup

@trekmogul

that’s light, but I built a FG bike that light out of spare parts, and the only ridiculously lightweight part was a $20 CF saddle.

I’m sure you can do better than that Trek.
Old 06-07-18, 04:33 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by trekmogul
It weighs as it sets from th factory 13.9 LBS and its wheels have yet to meet the pavement..It is as light a bike I think i have in my fleet.. It was a very expensive bike for what it is and not many would have purchased one..
Is a hammer that is never used to drive a nail a hammer at all? I think one could easily make the philosophical argument that it isn't a bicycle, as a blank canvas sitting beside some tubes of paint and a box of brushes is not a work of art. That isn't a bike. It's a statue. It's a sculpture. It's a simulacrum.
Old 06-07-18, 05:49 PM
noodle soup

Is a hammer that is never used to drive a nail a hammer at all?

That isn't a bike. It's a statue. It's a sculpture. It's a simulacrum.
I concur.
Old 06-07-18, 06:42 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is a hammer that is never used to drive a nail a hammer at all? I think one could easily make the philosophical argument that it isn't a bicycle, as a blank canvas sitting beside some tubes of paint and a box of brushes is not a work of art. That isn't a bike. It's a statue. It's a sculpture. It's a simulacrum.
Oddly, it seems both more and less than a simulacrum. More, because with the addition of some pedals one could get on it and ride it as well as any other bike (presumably). It's more than supplies - the painting has been (mostly) painted, but you might say no one has looked at it and it hasn't communicated anything yet. But at the same time, it's less, because in many ways it is intentionally NOT imitative of a (normal) bike.

By the way, as much as I appreciate a good looking, well-made bike, I don't think I'll ever understand why some people think it's appropriate to display them like fine art. As a trophy, like a stag's head, sure, but as sculpture? Never. They just have their own story, and nothing to say about anything else.
Old 06-07-18, 06:47 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by kbarch
By the way, as much as I appreciate a good looking, well-made bike, I don't think I'll ever understand why some people think it's appropriate to display them like fine art. As a trophy, like a stag's head, sure, but as sculpture? Never. They just have their own story, and nothing to say about anything else.
Every hobby seems to have this, and I've never been able to get my head around it. I've been building, wrenching, and racing R/C cars since I was 15 years old. There is a vast contingent of guys that sink copious quantities of cash into "shelfers," cars that are never intended to even be driven. I build them to drive them. I build bikes to ride. Hell, I built a bike for my son and I've already put 80 miles on it.
Old 06-07-18, 07:32 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
So what would, say, a 52 cm Tarmac Sport or Allez DSW Sprint Comp weigh stock? 18ish?

My $800 hybrid with a triple crank in a small size weighs 22.7, so I'd expect quite a bit of weight savings for those bikes above, which are close to $2k, but not sure.
Old 06-07-18, 07:56 PM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every hobby seems to have this, and I've never been able to get my head around it. I've been building, wrenching, and racing R/C cars since I was 15 years old. There is a vast contingent of guys that sink copious quantities of cash into "shelfers," cars that are never intended to even be driven. I build them to drive them. I build bikes to ride. Hell, I built a bike for my son and I've already put 80 miles on it.
I can imagine a shelf of R/C cars as a curiosity, like any collection, as you suggest of most hobbies. But bikes are kind of big, and putting them on the wall of ones home is usually pretty awkward - but not quite as outlandish as hanging a motorcycle on the wall of ones den (which I've seen - and if I recall correctly, it was a lightweight superbike ).
Old 06-07-18, 08:36 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Chill bro... What I "basically" said, is what I "actually" posted. I just wanted to get a consensus of what normal people are happy with before I start getting weird about saving weight... Don't turn this into a thing... I like being involved with the forum and am happy to be here. Thank you for your comments, I hope you have a fantastic day... I know I will.
The problem is that there is no consensus. "Light enough" really comes down to what you are doing with your bike and what your personal expectations are. I will say. The more you go down this pathway, the more you will realise the law of diminishing returns. That says to me that light enough comes down to a bike that meets your maximal performance capability. If the bike is not making you faster, or more comfortable (so as you can spend more hours on your bike) then I have to question why you're continuing to spend money on it.

Last edited by 1500SLR; 06-08-18 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-08-18, 12:37 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts

Still never opened RC's I thought I may play with about 8 years ago and still in sealed boxes..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.