Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is considered a "light" bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What is considered a "light" bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 06:01 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by 1500SLR
There is no real correlation between bike cost and bike weight.
Yes and no...

I'd say there's a fairly strong correlation between $500 to $1.5k or so.

Above that, it depends what you're spending the money on, sure. Aero, discs, Italian steel or OTOH, Meilensteins, etc. And if you bring second-hand gear into the equation, your luck/patience/connections can certainly matter more.

Certainly if you want to get much under 6.5kg it gets spendy fast, no matter what.
Old 06-08-18, 07:09 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Yes and no...

I'd say there's a fairly strong correlation between $500 to $1.5k or so.

Above that, it depends what you're spending the money on, sure. Aero, discs, Italian steel or OTOH, Meilensteins, etc. And if you bring second-hand gear into the equation, your luck/patience/connections can certainly matter more.

Certainly if you want to get much under 6.5kg it gets spendy fast, no matter what.
Yeah, cheaper bikes tend to be made out of lower quality metal that's a given. We're talking road bikes so you can discount other factors hat different types of bikes will have different weights, even so. In a most general sense you may ge a lighter bike by paying more. On the other hand you can simply play more for a hand built steel frame. While there are some light steel frames you will pay a ridiculous amount of money to build a steel frame bike as light as a carbon one.
Old 06-08-18, 07:23 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

you will pay a ridiculous amount of money to build a steel frame bike as light as a carbon one.
Does anybody even build a carbon frame that weighs 1.5kg? Do steel frames get any lighter than that?
Old 06-08-18, 07:33 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Does anybody even build a carbon frame that weighs 1.5kg? Do steel frames get any lighter than that?
You can get a carbon frame that weighs 900grams.

Pedal Force super-light carbon bicycle

There are frames from common bike brands such as Cinelli that are steel that weigh under 1.5kg

https://dropouts.cc/product/cinelli-xcr-frameset/
Old 06-08-18, 07:45 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul

I have this bike I purchased brand new in 2009 called a TREK DISTRICT SINGLESPEED Carbon everything. They only happen to make 50 of these that year only and that was it on them..It weighs as it sets from th factory 13.9 LBS and its wheels have yet to meet the pavement..It is as light a bike I think i have in my fleet.. It was a very expensive bike for what it is and not many would have purchased one..
If you're not even going to ride it, why keep that Mt. Everest-like stack of spacers on there? What an eyesore!
Old 06-08-18, 07:53 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here's a 6.6kg steel frame bike build.

https://cyclingtips.com/2015/08/bike...h-cinelli-xcr/
Old 06-08-18, 07:57 AM
Kimmo

You can get a carbon frame that weighs 900grams.
Yeah, you can get carbon frames as light as 600g, and ally at 900.

What I meant is, is the heaviest carbon as heavy as the lightest steel? 1.3kg is heavy for carbon.
Old 06-08-18, 08:03 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, you can get carbon frames as light as 600g, and ally at 900.

What I meant is, is the heaviest carbon as heavy as the lightest steel? 1.3kg is heavy for carbon.
It doesn't really matter. If you can't legally race it then you can't legally race it.
Old 06-08-18, 09:06 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
It doesn't really matter. If you can't legally race it then you can't legally race it.
who said anything about racing?
Old 06-08-18, 09:30 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

A power2max on a Rotor 3D+ crank. The PM replaces the factory spider, so it only adds that 50g.
I'm a little jealous. That's a really good solution.

Is that on your R3 because of BBRight?

Still, my point stands: even if it's only 50 g, you paid extra to put another 50 g on your bike. I paid extra to weigh my pedals down by something like 200 g more than they need to be for the same reason: it's worth it. But you can't predict the weight of a bike from its price.
Old 06-08-18, 10:22 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I'm a little jealous. That's a really good solution.

Is that on your R3 because of BBRight?

Still, my point stands: even if it's only 50 g, you paid extra to put another 50 g on your bike. I paid extra to weigh my pedals down by something like 200 g more than they need to be for the same reason: it's worth it. But you can't predict the weight of a bike from its price.
Yeah, there aren't a ton of options out there for BBRight-- most everything requires changing out the BB to an adapter of some sort, and at that I'd be stuck with a Rotor 3D+ crankset that fits a handful of bikes. I got doubly lucky because power2max was clearing out the Type S meters when I bought mine, so it was under $500.

As to predicting a bike's weight from it's pricetag... sorta. Like anything else, there's a diminishing point of returns. We generally and correctly assume that a $1,000 bike is going to be lighter than a $300 bike-- and that differential may be on the order of a few pounds. But a $3000 bike compared to a $1000 bike, the difference may be on the order of a few ounces.

Plus, adding weight with things like power meters gives us an excuse to justify buying dumb ultralight things (like carbon fiber bottle cages) to theoretically offset the weight we paid to put on.
Old 06-08-18, 10:41 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 112 Posts
Curious on the meaning of the 'frame'. When we say frame weight are we talking about the diamond frame alone, or it includes diamond frame + fork + headset?

When I weighted my Tri-A when rebuilding it came out 2.806kg (diamond frame + fork + headset). Super happy with bike overall.
Old 06-08-18, 10:44 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by phtomita
Curious on the meaning of the 'frame'. When we say frame weight are we talking about the diamond frame alone, or it includes diamond frame + fork + headset?
Frame only
Old 06-08-18, 10:45 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
When you drop the cash on my bikes then it would be possible for you to then give your wise words of wisdom, however I do believe I am the one that footed the bill and quite content just how it sets..
I think you're confusing "words of wisdom" with an opinion on the unsightly nature of copious amounts of spacers on a display bike.
Old 06-08-18, 10:46 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Plus, adding weight with things like power meters gives us an excuse to justify buying dumb ultralight things (like carbon fiber bottle cages) to theoretically offset the weight we paid to put on.
Beth got me a pair of 13 gram bottle cages from Amazon. She picked them for two reasons: no letting, and one of the reviews showed them on another Cervelo.
Old 06-08-18, 10:52 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've been trying to justify Arundel Mandibles (28g) to myself for almost a year now, but the Elite Race cages I have now match the bike, weigh 41g apiece, and were less than $10 each. Those Arundels are sitting above $3/gram. Just can't do it.
Old 06-08-18, 10:53 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I think you're confusing "words of wisdom" with an opinion on the unsightly nature of copious amounts of spacers on a display bike.

You left out "chain guard".
Old 06-08-18, 11:03 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Does anybody even build a carbon frame that weighs 1.5kg?
Yes, they just usually don't advertise frame weight when they're that heavy. Some of the low-end carbon frames out there are pretty sucky, and even decent frames can get into that neighborhood if they're heavy styles. Domane SL disc frames can run upwards of 1400g, for instance.

Do steel frames get any lighter than that?
Yes. Weight-weenie frames made from thinwall tubes can be under 3lbs, even in medium sizes.
Old 06-08-18, 07:42 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Yes, they just usually don't advertise frame weight when they're that heavy. Some of the low-end carbon frames out there are pretty sucky, and even decent frames can get into that neighborhood if they're heavy styles. Domane SL disc frames can run upwards of 1400g, for instance.

Yes. Weight-weenie frames made from thinwall tubes can be under 3lbs, even in medium sizes.
Yes this, repeatedly, beyond the point of insanity the material that a bike is made out of is inconsequential.If someone wanted to ride a steel or titanium bike in a grand tour there would be nothing stopping them in terms of weight. The benefit of carbon is that it can be molded into shapes that give better aerodynamic benefits at an elite level. But, how many of us here are elite riders? I would say less than 1% of the people who post here could ride fast enough for it to make any consequential difference.
Old 06-08-18, 08:08 PM
Kimmo

The benefit of carbon is that it can be molded into shapes that give better aerodynamic benefits at an elite level.
That's a secondary benefit. The main benefit is its high strength, which is anisotropic, allowing frame designers to make a bike that transfers pedaling effort efficiently while isolating road shock to a degree that's impossible for a metal frame in a double diamond format, unless the top tube points straight at the dropouts and there's half a metre of seatpost showing (which still wouldn't be UCI legal, which matters for everyone, because manufacturers produce very few road bike that can't be raced).
Old 06-08-18, 08:19 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
That's a secondary benefit. The main benefit is its high strength, which is anisotropic, allowing frame designers to make a bike that transfers pedaling effort efficiently while isolating road shock to a degree that's impossible for a metal frame in a double diamond format, unless the top tube points straight at the dropouts and there's half a metre of seatpost showing (which still wouldn't be UCI legal, which matters for everyone, because manufacturers produce very few road bike that can't be raced).
You can go over this over and over again. I'm going to tell you the same thing. You can make a rod of carbon as strong as steel, but they don't actually do that in actuality. You can link me to all the impact tests of a carbon bike in one direction, but this never happens in reality due to the laws of physics. a crash is never something that happens in one direction unless you propose we are dealing with the world where everything is made out of paper. The issue of making aluminum and steel frames more supple is also an issue that has been overcome. Like any other bike building materials there are areas of a frame on modern bikes made out of any material that are less than 0.25mm thick.

Your confirmation bias is one of the strongest I've read on any forum. To truly make a carbon bike frame as strong as a steel one it would have to be as heavy if not heavier than the steel equivalent. That's not even a matter up for debate. We know the facts to be self-evidently false. We know repeatedly that people post pictures of their carbon bike being banged up after being blown over in the wind and yet people like you continue with this garbage repeatedly that "carbon is stronger than steel." After watching videos from backyard engineers that have absolutely no scientific grounding in science repeatedly abusing bike frames you confirm to yourself what is nothing other than illogical bull crap most likely because you spent so much money on your bike.

What do we actually know that is true of bike frames and bike parts?

Carbon fiber has a incredibly low fracture toughness rating by fracture toughness number. Aluminum has a fracture toughness number that is around seventy times greater than carbon and the fracture toughness number for steel is even higher again. This shows us any damages, even deep scratches, or a corner gauges where for example the steerer tube meets the forks cause what we know as "brittle failures." These fractures lead to failures that do occur at limits way below the allowable stress limits for the material. Therefore, you see sudden unexpected carbon fiber failures. So if you want to say its stronger you need to understand the whole issue. To say it's stronger period is a facile argument devoid of the truth of the matter. Carbon is only stronger under certain design conditions and when its used with extreme care.

Last edited by 1500SLR; 06-08-18 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 08:45 PM
ReneV

Bikes: FM098-V2, '16 Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To truly make a carbon bike frame as strong as a steel one it would have to be as heavy if not heavier than the steel equivalent. That's not even a matter up for debate. [...] yet people like you continue with this garbage repeatedly that "carbon is stronger than steel."
???

OK, I'm going to bite, even though I suspect you'll start on a whole thing about "truly":
Old 06-08-18, 08:55 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ReneV
???

OK, I'm going to bite, even though I suspect you'll start on a whole thing about "truly": steel vs CF shaft
I already dealt with this, these one dimensional tests have no basis in reality. Read this and get back to me please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fracture_toughness

Last edited by 1500SLR; 06-08-18 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 09:01 PM
ReneV

Bikes: FM098-V2, '16 Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
these one dimensional tests have no basis in reality.
You need to be a great deal more precise in what you say if you hope to make any form of sense. The tests in the video quite clearly take place in reality.
Old 06-08-18, 09:06 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ReneV
You need to be a great deal more precise in what you say if you hope to make any form of sense. The tests in the video quite clearly take place in reality.
I have already stated the facts. An impact never happens in one direction so the impact of a one dimensional load such as in this video is in all senses practically irrelevant. You need to read more about fracture toughness and the points at which fractures will begin to be created in a material. Moreover you also need to read more about the points at which those fractures turn into cracks and grow. As most people know we don't buy second hand carbon components or frames that have not been thoroughly inspected because of brittle fractures. This article will give you all the explanation you need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.