Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is considered a "light" bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What is considered a "light" bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-18, 06:11 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
If it's 6xxx-series ally, it should be heat-treated after the repair; pretty sure nobody offers such a service.

The fact is, there are mobs doing proper repairs to carbon frames, and that pretty much doesn't happen with ally.

LOL, cause you know that's fail by hypocrisy?
You're not going to hear the end of any other argument but anyway. In the vast majority of cases it is cheaper to replace a carbon frame than repair it. These kinds of write offs happen far more often than with alloy bikes. This returns back to the fact that you don't accept anybody elses position on this or very many other discussions.

Originally Posted by yarbrough462

OK??? I thought it was a simple question...I am just curious as to your rationale on the fork vs the frame materials.

There is so many people here with simple black or white opinions... In the end I just think you're looking for troll bait so I'm not going to play your game. It would not matter if I told you something that was right, wrong or indifferent. I think your just an argumentative person looking for an argument. Therefore, I'm simply going to withdraw from answering your pointless crap.

I don't see why people have to lose the contents of their bowels just because someone disagrees about the material a person should have their frame built out of. It really is stupid, ridiculous and banal. To get your rocks off over starting an argument with someone about it is even more dumb.

Last edited by 1500SLR; 06-10-18 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-10-18, 06:34 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by 1500SLR
In the vast majority of cases it is cheaper to replace a carbon frame than repair it.
Incorrect, unless you are talking about generic Chinese carbon frames.
Old 06-10-18, 07:22 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
If you call it art, it's art.
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Damn straight.

Also, technology = culture.
Well, not quite. 'Art' doesn't mean just anything, and it doesn't mean 'whatever I happen like and find interesting.' It's not a value judgement. We have to concede that people have somewhat varying understandings and appreciations of art, and it definitely has different meanings in different contexts, but we have to expect people to at least know what we are talking about if we want to use any common word. Also, while there is a culture of technology, and technology plays a significant role in culture as a whole, they are hardly synonymous.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's kind of funny for people to add "like a work of art" when they say they'd display a bike on a wall, because hardly anyone makes a point of displaying art. We just display whatever we find interesting and happen to like or take pride in - attractive prints or paintings, portraits, awards, etc. Giving something pride of place is the compliment; saying it's 'like a work of art,' is pretty meaningless.

OH! I just remembered something.... At the Edward Hopper house in Nyack, they display the artist's broken down old bicycle above the fireplace!

Yes, Hopper was very tall.

For reference, he is best known for this painting:

But here is one he did of a cyclist:

Now, is that getting far enough off topic?
Old 06-10-18, 08:04 AM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
You're not going to hear the end of any other argument but anyway. In the vast majority of cases it is cheaper to replace a carbon frame than repair it. These kinds of write offs happen far more often than with alloy bikes. This returns back to the fact that you don't accept anybody elses position on this or very many other discussions.

There is so many people here with simple black or white opinions... In the end I just think you're looking for troll bait so I'm not going to play your game. It would not matter if I told you something that was right, wrong or indifferent. I think your just an argumentative person looking for an argument. Therefore, I'm simply going to withdraw from answering your pointless crap.

I don't see why people have to lose the contents of their bowels just because someone disagrees about the material a person should have their frame built out of. It really is stupid, ridiculous and banal. To get your rocks off over starting an argument with someone about it is even more dumb.
For the record, I have both Aluminium and carbon bikes. You and I have never had a discussion about the differences either...this is a forum though, where people discuss things...As far as argumentative, you may want to take a look at yourself. You have been arguing with about every member you have had a discussion with since you got here. When folks disagree, you resort to personal attacks. It got you banned once. Please look through my posts. You won’t see the same history...
Old 06-10-18, 08:05 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462

For the record, I have both Aluminium and carbon bikes. You and I have never had a discussion about the differences either...this is a forum though, where people discuss things...As far as argumentative, you may want to take a look at yourself. You have been arguing with about every member you have had a discussion with since you got here. When folks disagree, you resort to personal attacks. It got you banned once. Please look through my posts. You won’t see the same history...
That's your opinion, and its a bad one at at that.
Old 06-10-18, 08:06 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
This thread has drifted far too off topic to save.

Closed.

Old 06-10-18, 09:07 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Yes this, repeatedly, beyond the point of insanity the material that a bike is made out of is inconsequential.If someone wanted to ride a steel or titanium bike in a grand tour there would be nothing stopping them in terms of weight. The benefit of carbon is that it can be molded into shapes that give better aerodynamic benefits at an elite level. But, how many of us here are elite riders? I would say less than 1% of the people who post here could ride fast enough for it to make any consequential difference.
Yes, I preach this all the time, but it doesn't account for the guys who just WANT it to HAVE it. It's rewarding just to have in some way for some people, and they're willing to pay for it. Ego points I guess.