Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need advice on shifting - I am handicapped

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Need advice on shifting - I am handicapped

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 08:21 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I know a fella in my rides that has a prosthetic left hand, so there have been some improvisations on shifting. Currently he's got a Di2 front Derailleur with the push-button controls on the right drop. if money were not a concern, I'd definitely recommend that setup.
Old 06-11-18, 08:30 AM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Claris is hardly amazing. The other problem with an 8speed groupset is that there are no "upgrades" for 8 speed groupsets anymore. You have to deal with the cable pull ratio. Running a different front derailleur and messing about will lead to drivetrain chatter and your chain will fall off. If you were intent on upgrading you could snag an entire groupset. The Ultegra 6600 groupset is a nice cheap option if you want to go up to 10 speed second hand. It has the better side pull shifters (same as the Tiagra 4700 shifters) except it will cost you less. The shifter quality at Ultegra might even be nicer. The later 6700 shifters while they look nicer actually function worse.

I run an Ultegra 6600groupset with 6770 derailleurs (I can because they have the same cable pull ratio). In about 3months worth of riding on my bike now as it is, I have not suffered the indignity of ever dropping a chain and probably never will again. It just shifts and works every time. The 6600 shifters are very good as are the Tiagra 4700 shifters and if you lift off before you shift you will never even notice any derailleur noise or feedback.

Upgrading your whole bike to Tiagra 4700 would not cost that much actually. This would be the best bang for buck upgrade which would give you nice shifters. It would also give you two extra gears in the middle which will give you an easier bike to ride in the gears you will be using most of the time. You might consider it as your first serious upgrade. I would look at a a 52-36 chainring and 11-28 cassette.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u.../rp-prod138440

Last edited by 1500SLR; 06-11-18 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-12-18, 01:53 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Maybe I missed it but I'm surprised no one has suggested going 1X. Assuming that wouldn't be too much money of course.
Old 06-12-18, 03:57 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
The problem solver in me loves all these innovative ideas - thanks for a great thread.

But the pragmatist would've suggested getting a fixed gear.

Since you already have the bike, I like the 1x conversion.

I don't like bar end shifters for that option but maybe you might.
Old 06-12-18, 04:21 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Agree on the "1X" solution

Originally Posted by seau grateau
Since money is an obstacle, I'd consider maybe looking at your chainrings. Not sure what size rings you have now, but you could maybe go for something in between your big and small rings in tooth count, basically turning your bike into a 1x since you're not able to use the left shifter. You might be able to get a decent spread of gears this way to work around your current issue.
It also moves shifting to the right hand only. If the OP could possibly afford it, conversion to a 1X would be ideal.
Old 06-12-18, 07:41 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
OP: I've been riding one-handed and adapting sports equipment for myself and others for years. There are countless ways to address or overcome a lack of function in one hand, many of them mentioned here. To say which one is best for you would be best decided with you and your bike present. For example, it would be nice to see your wrist angle, core position and strength, and a bunch of other things before deciding on the type and position of the shifter. Setting you up with a need to move your left hand around may not be the best from an efficiency and safety stanpoint. It may be as simple as you suggest--upgrading the front to an easier shifting derailleur. Most bike shops I have visited relish the task of solving the type of challenge your condition presents. Many do it as a labor of love for the sport, or as economically as possible. I'd start there.
Great advice!

@LordA - there have been a variety of different directions recommended to you, but ultimately you need to make the call. It sounds like a bar end shifter for the front would work great and be manageable for you. I'd hesitate to put it on the right side because of your stated reluctance to ride one-handed with your left hand, although I guess part of your hand would still be on the bars anyway. Regardless, there's no reason you can't put a shifter on either side.

You should probably also consider hooking the front brake up to your right hand and put the rear on the left... the front does most of the braking on a bike.

and if you want a different front derailleur, they're very inexpensive. You could probably find a bar-end shifter and front derailleur on ebay all day long for not very much money.
Old 06-12-18, 08:32 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LordA
Hey folks, so I was doing research on this.

I found this in an article about the groupset on my bike:
'The front derailleur pull-arm is significantly shorter than those on Shimano’s pricier groupsets, meaning that there is not as much leverage to move the cage. This means that moving from the small ring to the big ring requires a strong and sustained prod of the shifters, something that is not always easy if your hands are cold and you’re tired at the end of a long ride. Those with weaker fingers might struggle.'

This is exactly my problem - Is it possible to upgrade just the derailleur for an easier/smoother shift or is it more complex than that?
The long arm front derailleurs that Shimano came out with do make front shifting significantly easier. With their latest groupsets they seem to be going back to short arm which makes it harder to shift but I guess Shimano have their reasons. I think the cheapest long arm you can get is the Tiagra 4700. The problem is Claris is 8 speed and that makes compatibility even harder to determine (it is likely the longer arm needs a longer cable pull). I can't tell you if using a Tiagra 4700 will work with your shifters. It might be worthwhile visiting a local bike shop to see if they have any long arm front derailleurs lying about that they might sell you cheap and you can test it out. If it doesn't work you could try getting a bar end shifter for the front derailleur. A bar end shifter should work with any front derailleur as they are not indexed and you would still get the benefit of the easier shifting of the long arm derailleur.