Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

difficulty threading cable trigger shifter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-23, 04:50 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts

Replacing the cable on a low end Shimano ML 360 trigger shifter.
took the top plate off the shifter and managed to coax the old cable out, but I cant get the new cable in.
It seems like it has to go around a corner and thread into a little hole that you cannot see. I've been trying all afternoon with no luck.
Am I missing something?
Old 06-13-23, 07:19 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
make certain the shifter is in the relaxed position by clicking the shifter until the indicator moves to the 7 or 8 position, whichever is the highest number...

Now the cable SHOULD slip through the hole in the Reel towards the Adjuster... now.. REMOVE THE ADJUSTER..(There is a SPRING INSIDE! Be ready!) they are a serious pain to thread a cable through... push the cable through where the adjuster was... now pull the cable through the reel until the lead barrel seats into the reel... DO NOT Kink the cable... Any kinks WILL cause problems with shifting!

now, slip the adjuster, spring, and grip deely backup the cable to the shifter and re-thread it into the Shifter body.

Last edited by maddog34; 06-13-23 at 07:22 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 06-13-23, 08:54 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
When I shift it into 7 or 8 position I can no longer access the little socket that holds the head of the cable.
However. I advanced it as far as I could, threaded the cable end through, wiggled it a bit and it went through. It was a bit tricky getting the end through opening where the adjuster
threads, but it worked.
You sir, are a genius. Much thanks.

I have three of these types of shifter, and this was definitely the trickiest.
Likes For skookum:
Old 06-13-23, 09:27 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
When I shift it into 7 or 8 position I can no longer access the little socket that holds the head of the cable.
However. I advanced it as far as I could, threaded the cable end through, wiggled it a bit and it went through. It was a bit tricky getting the end through opening where the adjuster
threads, but it worked.
You sir, are a genius. Much thanks.

I have three of these types of shifter, and this was definitely the trickiest.
i do between 2 and 10 of these and twist shifters every week during the spring and summer. Experience counts.... besides, i was impressed by the fact that you hadn't lost the screws.