Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Little rant: I hate charity events...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-16, 11:08 AM
Ron Harry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, all for a good cause and all...yada, yada...I know...and I'm being a curmudgeon on this point. But, let's consider.

I try and attend anywhere from 15 to 20 cycling events every year [maybe more...at least 1 a month]. Now registration, travel costs, motels...well, it all adds up you see. No problem. As the Geico commercial says, 'It's what I do' [some of us not competitive cyclists live for the events, which give us purpose to train, look forward etc].

One objective I have is doing at least one century a month. Not a hard goal to reach, but I like to ride supported events if I can for these centuries. As we might know, the 'events' are hard to find in the winter months and some of the hotter summer months...crowded up in spring and fall.

So, when I go looking for a January ride to do a century, well, I jump at whatever opportunities I find [which are not many].

But then I find the ride I've signed up for is one of these darned charity events. I say 'darned'...'cuz I just can't afford it. These charity events, where riders are asked to donate [or find donations], sometimes in hundreds of bucks...well, they are sort of designed for those riders who might attend a 'one time' single event where they mark their calendars months in advance and sort of 'prepare' for that one event...where they devote time and energy [perhaps] in raising donations and the like.

All fine and good mind you. I'm all for 'good causes'. But these 'charity rides' are not geared toward those cyclists who might be trying to attend a LOT OF EVENTS through the years. Sheese maKnee...who could afford such a thing, much less have the time. So, it's been my assessment that the people probably attending such high donation events are probably pretty well to do...professionals, doctors, lawyers...people who probably just 'give' the donations out of their own pockets [blowing anywhere from $200 to $500 a ride, including registration and travel etc, no big thing for deeper pockets].

So, people like me...are SOL and when I see these charity events, I regretfully MUST pass them up [although, I'd love to attend, pay the fees, and even donate a small tithing myself...say an extra $20 or so anyway. But nooo...these events are expanding these days, to where it's required to 'raise' upward of $200 bucks or more just to ride [on top of registration etc].

So...I'm a curmudgeon. Especially here in January where the ONLY rides I can find are ones that require these 'extra' extravagant 'donations' [for me anyway]. So, looks like another 'solo' century ride for me this month [instead of something sagged and supported].

Anyway, that's my rag I guess. I know, I know...all for a good cause. Pretty soon, there won't be many rides left for those like myself I think [ie POOR!!!]. I mean, all I do is show up, ride, eat a few granolas along the way, and go home [but the rest stops do help along a 100 miler]. And I have to fork out hundreds of bucks for charities I have no idea what they really do [some anyway]. Still, it's good to be a part of the 'crowds'; which I think is what such events are really all about [that are not competitive]. They do create memories [even if they drain the bank account].

End of rant.
Old 01-16-16, 11:28 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
To be fair, these are fundraisers. At least in theory, they exist to raise money for worthy causes, not to support your riding and recreation goals. I get what you are saying. How many times can you go to your friends and relatives asking them for money? So maybe pick and choose a few events you really want and for the rest of your riding, join a club. In my neck of the woods, there are anywhere from 4 to 6 group rides per week from April to October, ranging from easy social rides to quite challenging centuries and near centuries. Additionally, there are supported centuries without onerous fundraising requirements. There is a cost, but not hundreds of dollars.

One of the real benefits of cycling, as opposed to, say, golfing is, you can ride whenever or wherever your desire and abilities take you, without having to pay somebody a bunch of money. Why not just map out your own century and do it solo or with a couple of riding buddies. If you are worried about SAG support, you could always enlist the help of a non riding friend who can be available with a vehicle, food, water, etc... for the day.

Last edited by MRT2; 01-16-16 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-16-16, 11:33 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
One option would be to hook up with a local charity and convince them to plan an event---naturally they couldn't charge you to ride in an event you organized.
Old 01-16-16, 11:37 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Get some friends and do your own rides.

Old 01-16-16, 12:18 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Some fund raisers exist to provide funds for a worthy cause. Others exist primarily to provide funds, primarily to organizers with the worthy cause a distant second. Long ago I looked into charity finances. Tax free organizations must provide an accounting to government authorities. In my particular case, to the State Attorney General's office and these accounts are available to the public. I found that of hundreds of charities registered in my state, the great majority seemed to be a fraud although complying with the law. Of the total donations coming in, listed was the amounts going to expenses (salaries, office space, fund raising costs) and finally, the amount given to the named cause. Much to my dismay, most of the money went to those expenses and in most cases only about one third or less went to do any charitable purpose.

When I looked at the numbers in greater detail it became clear there was considerable fraud but all perfectly legal. Anyone can register a tax free organization, hire a fund raising company, pay themselves lavishly, and give away the minimal required by law and many have done this. You might think this behavior would be found in fly-by-night charities but the big boys are similar. Some older folks here may remember a scandal with United Way where the top guy in the organization was flying to Europe on the Concord. Not too much later I learned Elizabeth Dole, as head of the American Red Cross had a salary of $400,000. All of this makes it impossible for me to just hand over good money no matter how good the stated cause. I check out the charity but mostly give my money to local organizations.
Old 01-16-16, 12:38 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by berner
Some fund raisers exist to provide funds for a worthy cause. Others exist primarily to provide funds, primarily to organizers with the worthy cause a distant second. Long ago I looked into charity finances. Tax free organizations must provide an accounting to government authorities. In my particular case, to the State Attorney General's office and these accounts are available to the public. I found that of hundreds of charities registered in my state, the great majority seemed to be a fraud although complying with the law. Of the total donations coming in, listed was the amounts going to expenses (salaries, office space, fund raising costs) and finally, the amount given to the named cause. Much to my dismay, most of the money went to those expenses and in most cases only about one third or less went to do any charitable purpose.

When I looked at the numbers in greater detail it became clear there was considerable fraud but all perfectly legal. Anyone can register a tax free organization, hire a fund raising company, pay themselves lavishly, and give away the minimal required by law and many have done this. You might think this behavior would be found in fly-by-night charities but the big boys are similar. Some older folks here may remember a scandal with United Way where the top guy in the organization was flying to Europe on the Concord. Not too much later I learned Elizabeth Dole, as head of the American Red Cross had a salary of $400,000. All of this makes it impossible for me to just hand over good money no matter how good the stated cause. I check out the charity but mostly give my money to local organizations.
Spot on. The Red Cross is a disgusting example of serious greed.
Having been in the restaurant business I had the chance to see first hand how much money they would waste on senseless group lunches and dinners that served no purpose other than to coddle their own officers.
Old 01-16-16, 12:45 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked 1,448 Times in 995 Posts
Ron;

Don't feel alone, as I dropped out of 'charity' events quite a while ago. Both running and bicycling events have gone the same way - they've gone from concentrating on promoting a charity's funding needs and the event itself (the bike ride or foot race) to an entire carnival with vendors plugging all kinds of different products, live bands, hospitality tents . . . you name it, its there. It all costs money, and I'm not willing to pay the $300 (or even more) to enter when they have all that distracting crap. I don't care if everyone gets a medal or a certificate and a t-shirt, its just not worth it. I just donate $$$$ directly to a few charities each year so they get all maximum possible value (without an event middleman taking a 'cut'), then go and ride interesting roads and trails I find on maps, in print, or even online.
Old 01-16-16, 12:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not about charity big events But. (yea they tend to 'administer' it for a big % of the donations.)

People saying they are starting from Here and riding across the country for charity
gets kind of a Meh from my friend who has to write something about it for the Daily Paper ..

back in the 80's A Friend got strange reception when she rode in a MS bike event ,
being visibly already affected by MS , herself..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-16-16 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-16-16, 12:50 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,193 Times in 606 Posts
Don't understand the rant. If you don't want to do 'charity rides', for whatever reason, don't. Simple. I don't, and wouldn't, myself -- for a number of reasons not relevant to cycling -- but I also don't and wouldn't expect the organizers of such events to design their events to accommodate my requirements or elicit my approval.

Both 10 Wheels and MRT2 make the obvious suggestions.
Old 01-16-16, 01:09 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

One note: Charities have realized that while maybe a larger proportion of the less wealthy want to support charities, the rich folk can afford to support charities. it is more efficient to get fewer rich people and charge them more (they write it off anyway) than to get more less wealthy people ... sometimes there is a break-even point where it is not possible to raise enough to pay for the event by trying to get more people at a lower price, but if they get far fewer, far wealthier people they can actually cover costs and give some back to the charity.

second Note: as berner points out, a lot of charities see themselves as the primary recipient of charity. it is hard to run a major charity part-time, so most serious charities are full-time major corporations, so yes, the people who work there need to get paychecks sufficient to support themselves. However, some people play the "Corporate officer" game in the non-profit instead of the for-profit world, looking for the biggest salaries, the biggest perks, the golden parachute retirement package ... Sucks, but that's people.

Actually, one-third isn't too inefficient. Consider if a for-profit corporation could raise 33 percent profits---that would be amazing. A non-profit still has to have offices, office equipment, staff, health care, lawyers on call ... everything a for-profit corporation needs. I know a lot of people think everyone working for a charity should be a volunteer, but big things don't get done by housewives donating a few hours in their spare time each week. And I know some people think people working for non-profits should be poor and horribly underpaid ... but that makes it impossible to get people to work for non-profits.

And the fact is, a lot of non-profits do a lot of good, even if 2/3 of what they raise goes to expenses. The question is more, what are those expenses? Lear jets and Rolls-Royces? Of sensible salaries to keep competent people in place. Having good people on board maximizes the income and thus the volume of the funds actually doing something good. Having greedy people on board ... makes me sick.

I have worked for a lot of non-profits. The good ones, every person knows that every dollar spent is a gift meant to help others, and spends every penny knowing that it is other people's money. The bad ones, the officers think they have "earned" the money and "deserve" high salaries and fat perks because they are such corporate geniuses.
Old 01-16-16, 01:17 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,193 Times in 606 Posts
Thread should be moved to Politics/Religion -- or perhaps LCF.
Old 01-16-16, 01:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
To be fair, these are fundraisers. At least in theory, they exist to raise money for worthy causes, not to support your riding and recreation goals.
EGGzackly.

I participate in Cycle for Survival which is a fund raiser for Memorial Sloan Ketering Cancer Center. It's a spin event and not a outdoor cycling event. It funds rare cancer research which doesn't have a huge organization like lung, breast or the American cancer association. 100% of the funds go to research, not one cent goes to salaries, fund raising or administration. The actual event, (4) 45 minute spin session, is the REWARD to those that raise funds.

It's called CHARITY, you're not supposed to get something out of it other than knowing you've helped others.

BTW, my 2 bike team has so far raised over $15,000 with a goal of $25,000.

We ride for my friend Sue, who was diagnosed with brain cancer 5 years ago and breast cancer 18 months ago.
Old 01-16-16, 02:07 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Nothing against charity rides but, as others have said, just map out your own routes, OP. I dont bother with organized rides - or runs - who needs 'em. Sometimes I do long rides with my wife, but many times I do them alone. Costs you nothing but your time and some basic snacks. In fact I get more satisfaction out of accomplishing my rides/runs this way than I would spending a fortune to sign up so I can see other people, and get a terrible fitting t-shirt I'd never wear anyway. Go your own way..
Old 01-16-16, 06:14 PM
Ron Harry

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All good points everyone makes here...and read, I do admit to being a curmudgeon on this subject. Several points however...
1) I'm observing a trend in events going this route of REQUIRING certain amounts just to ride. Used to be, one had the option...and I'd always 'donate' something [what I could afford...a few bucks]. One wonders if such requirements for higher donations actually cuts back on attendance [what otherwise might have been collected].
2)I really doubt every rider is actually out soliciting donations...and those that do are probably part of larger company associations...supporting my argument that such 'events' are sort of exlusive to 'professionals, corporate workers, doctors, lawyers...' those with deeper pockets.
3)I think it would be interesting to find out how many just pay out of their own pockets [forgoing actual solicitations of neighborhoods, or standing on corners ringing a bell next to red collection pot or whatever]. Even still...I don't mind paying myself
a few bucks...but the prevailing trend I see is requiring at least $200 or more just to ride.

So, I think it is a kind of exclusionary façade of sorts. Sure...some 'teams' actually go out and somehow 'collect' a bunch of money...and all the best to them of course; pats on the back etc for job well done. But I still argue they are probably not blue collar workers but part of larger companies [where such teams are much more easily formed]...and a small minority of how the donations are typically obtained [most just fork out the minimum themselves...and ride].

But...I'm not so much trying to change the world here [I was destined to lose this argument from the getgo...like I said, I'm the
curmudgeon here]...

...but I just had to cancel out on a ride AFTER paying the registration and then finding in the 'fine print' [I didn't read close enough] that I was required to go out get one of the MINIMUM donation amounts. SO...I'm not going, and I'm out the registration...and we have a major El Nino storm front coming through...but I wanted to 'bay at the moon' anyway.

Do organizers of charity events realize most cyclists attend not just THEIR event...but many through the year? I'm not paying to attend $1000 a plate political dinners either [see...exclusionary].

"ah ooooo"
Old 01-16-16, 07:45 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
An upcoming charity ride here in Ontario, Canada costs a single rider $75.00 to register BUT they must raise a further $2,500.00 in order to participate! Sounds kind of elitetist and discrimatory to me.

"Registered Riders commit to raising CA$2,500 for The Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer benefiting The Princess Margaret, to participate in the two-day bike ride on June 11-12, 2016"

I can see why a LOT of people don't do charity rides.

Cheers
Old 01-16-16, 08:00 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Ron Harry
2)I really doubt every rider is actually out soliciting donations...and those that do are probably part of larger company associations...supporting my argument that such 'events' are sort of exlusive to 'professionals, corporate workers, doctors, lawyers...' those with deeper pockets.
This. Most people don't want to begging door-to-door or pressing their friends to pledge. I sure don't So, people who are wealthy enough to make the doantions on their own tend to do the rides. You still Can try to sign up supporters ... but then the "ride" is three weeks of embarrassing yourself and bothering your neighbors and three hours on the bike.
...but I just had to cancel out on a ride AFTER paying the registration and then finding in the 'fine print' [I didn't read close enough] that I was required to go out get one of the MINIMUM donation amounts. SO...I'm not going, and I'm out the registration...
Obviously this is your own oversight, and equally obviously, it sucks. You were willing to pay a resonable registration fee and support their ride, and ended up making an accidental "donation" ... and likely never will again. This is all just unfortunate/
Do organizers of charity events realize most cyclists attend not just THEIR event...but many through the year? I'm not paying to attend $1000 a plate political dinners either [see...exclusionary].
In all likelihood they simply don't care---I wouldn't.

Think about it---you take on the mission of organizing an event to raise funds for a good cause. You really believe in the cause, and you know it needs money. Are you going to worry about how many people get "included" or are you going to focus on raising the most money to do the most good for the people in need? If I am tryiong to help those in need, I don't care if some rich guy, or even some comfortably well-off but far from rich guy, can afford to get his kicks by attending many group rides each year. I don't care What these folks do the other 51 weekends. All I care about is the folks who need help.

As it should be.

here is a suggestion: I went to a website suggested on this site which listed group rides in different regions. most of them required a small registration fee, offered different lengths for different levels of riders, and were through some safe and pretty terrain. I chose not to look further because I cannot afford to drop $25 or $50 bucks each weekend to go riding---or rather, I can instead by bike or camera gear---or pay bills--with that money. (Besides, the local bike shop has weekly rides ... if I choose to subject myself to that.)

However, for the wealthier riders (like yourself) who enjoy the camaraderie and the support of an organized group ride, often with refreshments at the end and all ... I found a bunch of rides where I could leave at dawn, drive to the site, ride a few hours, eat, and ride home for $25-$35 per event. Maybe there are some in your area.

If not ... lots of local bike shops have group rides, i hear.

Not trying to be a richard, here, I am really trying to help ... i am just not very good at it.

https://www.active.com/cycling

https://www.caamevents.com/

Last edited by Maelochs; 01-16-16 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-16-16, 08:13 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I organize a running race for my running club. We make very little or lose money in some cases. When people say they wish there was a race in a certain venue, I say great, they should volunteer to organize it. That shuts up the "complainers" pretty quick.
Old 01-16-16, 08:52 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
One objective I have is doing at least one century a month. Not a hard goal to reach, but I like to ride supported events if I can for these centuries. As we might know, the 'events' are hard to find in the winter months and some of the hotter summer months...crowded up in spring and fall.
Sounds like you need to look into Randonneuring or Audax events.

I can provide you with some links if you're interested.
Old 01-16-16, 08:54 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
An upcoming charity ride here in Ontario, Canada costs a single rider $75.00 to register BUT they must raise a further $2,500.00 in order to participate! Sounds kind of elitetist and discrimatory to me.

"Registered Riders commit to raising CA$2,500 for The Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer benefiting The Princess Margaret, to participate in the two-day bike ride on June 11-12, 2016"

I can see why a LOT of people don't do charity rides.

Cheers
Some events have limited space. The spin event I participate in has room for only 200 spin bikes, so they try to maximize the donations. Some people will raise $10,000+ and others just $500. In the end it all evens out.
Old 01-16-16, 10:30 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
If I want to help a cause, I'll donate directly. Donating directly means less of my donation gets spent on overhead. If someone chooses to fund a charity via hosting a ride, now they're competing in the commercial arena. The cost of hosting the ride is overhead they didn't have before, and if they expect too much 'profit,' then the product (the bike ride) becomes too expensive and I take my money elsewhere.
Old 01-16-16, 11:32 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Write a check for an amount you can afford, send it to the charity, and then ....

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Get some friends and do your own rides.
Old 01-17-16, 06:08 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I’ve read that the reason such athletic events as Charity Rides, Swims and Runs are popular is because the value of the benefit received by the participant is near zero, and thus the entire donation is tax-deductible. For example if one attends a gala fundraising dinner, the cost of the dinner is not tax-deductible.

I am one of those who doesn’t like to fund raise, and pretty much bears the cost. One fund-raising ride I attend is promoted by a generous local philanthropist, who also benefits my own organization, so it’s also a freely given reciprocation, though not intended as such.

A family member of ours attends a social service that might be supported by his umbrella fund raiser for various childrens' social agencies. I have been persistently trying to get that service to become a beneficiary of that Ride, because I already give them a big donation. So I could make my donation to the Ride as well to funnel it to them. I would even be encouraged to personally fund-raise as well since it’s so dear to my heart.

There was at least one thread on BF I read a few years ago, that queried the “ethics” of using routes constructed by a charity, and even riding the event on the given day as a ”bandit.”

Here in Massachusetts the premier fund-raising Ride with an expected donation of around at least about $3500 is the Pan Massachusetts Challenge (Pan-Mass, PMC), about 150 miles in two days to benefit the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. They do take your credit card number before the Ride. It may well be the largest such event in total donations. When anyone finds out I'm a cyclist, they usually ask "Do you do the Pan-Mass?"

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...Soon afterwards I caught up with a rider wearing a really cool Boston Red Sox cycling jersey, a souvenir of the 2002 Pan Mass Challenge. As usual, when I meet a serious cyclist, I tell them about Bike Forums, of which he was unaware...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-17-16 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-17-16, 06:24 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
There was at least one thread on BF I read a few years ago, that queried the “ethics” of using routes constructed by a charity, and even riding the event on the given day as a ”bandit.”
That's a big no-no. I wouldn't even suggest it.

Nevermind ethics, there are liability issues involved.
Old 01-17-16, 07:04 AM
SAGit

Bikes: CAAD9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not certain the issue here is charity events. For my family, the issue is more about affordability and it may be analogous to shopping. When I am shopping for a bike, I will buy one that I can afford. For charity events, I generally stick to t-shirt rides where the registration fee is only about $50 with no required fundraising. With my spouse and kid riding, it's $150 per ride but it's what we can afford. Our big annual event is the BP MS150 and there is a required $400 fundraising minimum times 2 for two riders; that's $800. There are different tiers of charity events and some people would love to go to $100k dinner but not everyone can afford it.

Last edited by SAGit; 01-17-16 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 01-17-16, 07:45 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I ride very few charity events anymore, but don't resent the costs. They are trying to raise money for a cause, often the group sponsoring the ride, and it costs them money and effort to stage a ride. However, I don't have that much free money available to spend $50+ on a regular basis just to ride. I also find it less and less appealing riding with large groups.

Most local bike clubs have regular pickup rides that are free as well as less formal groups. I don't ride many of those rides anymore either because they tend to be very competitive, pseudo races where the objective seems to be dropping as many other riders as possible. However, I've got a group of friends that I ride with regularly, and I often do long solo rides on local greenways or rural roads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.