Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Newbie Single Speed Build

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-16, 10:06 PM
Duke Broadway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I am making a list of items I am planning to order to do a SS conversion on a 1986 Nishiki Rally I recently purchased. I was hoping to get some insight on if I am on the right track here. Basically looking to tackle the drive train with this initial post. I have been reading the forums and soaking up as much info as I can, but still have lots to learn. At any rate here is what I am looking at:

1. Conversion Kit Fixie Bike Single Speed Shimano Adaptor:

https://www.amazon.com/Conversion-Fi...conversion+kit

2. Fulcrum 7 LG wheelset (shimano freehub):

Fulcrum Racing 7 LG Wheelset 2016 | Chain Reaction Cycles

3. Sugino Pista Crank (RD2 crank arms):

Sugino Pista Crank Black 46T Or 48T

4. Bottom Bracket:

This is were I am getting confused. Most literature is stating to go with a 68x103mm BB. However, on the Sheldon Brown site they recommend using a 68 x 107mm BB with RD crankset. Is RD2 considered the same?

Fixed Gear and Singlespeed Cranks and Cranksets for Bicycles from Harris Cyclery

5. Chain recommendations?

Am I on the right track for the most part? Thanks!

Last edited by Duke Broadway; 08-03-16 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-03-16, 11:32 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
A few things to consider:

The rear wheel in that set is 130mm. Your frame is most likely 126mm spacing, so you'd have to cold-set it (basically bending the chain stays/seat stays) to accept the wheel.
It looks like those wheels don't come with QR skewers. Also, modern skewers may not have enough clamping force to keep the rear wheel from slipping in a frame with horizontal dropouts.

If I were you, I'd get a simple track/SS wheelset, add spacers as needed, and throw a SS freewheel on it. As far as cranks/BB, get the bottom bracket the retailer you're buying from recommends for the cranks you're buying. Sugino's website recommends a 103mm spindle for the RD2. RD and RD2 could very well be made to use different BB spindle lengths. As for chains, KMC makes good cheap ones.
Old 08-03-16, 11:37 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Part of the fun with converting a bike to FG/SS is finding out that your estimates were off and that you'll need to buy different parts. Not the end of the world, just a reminder to relax and not be surprised if things don't go perfectly on your first try.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-03-16, 11:45 PM
Duke Broadway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
A few things to consider:

The rear wheel in that set is 130mm. Your frame is most likely 126mm spacing, so you'd have to cold-set it (basically bending the chain stays/seat stays) to accept the wheel.
It looks like those wheels don't come with QR skewers. Also, modern skewers may not have enough clamping force to keep the rear wheel from slipping in a frame with horizontal dropouts.

If I were you, I'd get a simple track/SS wheelset, add spacers as needed, and throw a SS freewheel on it. As far as cranks/BB, get the bottom bracket the retailer you're buying from recommends for the cranks you're buying. Sugino's website recommends a 103mm spindle for the RD2. RD and RD2 could very well be made to use different BB spindle lengths. As for chains, KMC makes good cheap ones.
I was planning on the cold-setting the frame with my wheel selection. Definitely open to another wheelset, have to look to see what value track wheelsets are out there. I did see the recommendation of 103mm just was confused by the other info. Thanks for the heads up on KMC chains!
Old 08-03-16, 11:46 PM
Duke Broadway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Part of the fun with converting a bike to FG/SS is finding out that your estimates were off and that you'll need to buy different parts. Not the end of the world, just a reminder to relax and not be surprised if things don't go perfectly on your first try.
Its gonna be an adventure for sure. Especially with my knowledge and skillset.
Old 08-04-16, 09:17 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
What seau grateau said.

Get a normal 120mm spacing nutted axle wheel.

How much do you weigh? Consider that when wheel shopping. That rear wheel has only 20 spokes. It's a taco waiting to be folded. And it has aluminum nipples. Personally, I won't use aluminum nipples.
Old 08-04-16, 10:54 AM
Duke Broadway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weigh 200, trending down (started at 230 in march). Recommendations on a decent wheelset in that price neighborhood. I see BD has options, but not sure on the quality on those wheels. However my main ride is a BD ultegra fantom cross pro, and have enjoyed that.
Old 08-04-16, 12:05 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Velomine is the site I always recommend for decent budget wheelsets.
Old 08-04-16, 12:15 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Yes, check Velomine.

Congrats on the weight loss. I don't know what your target weight is. But while you are in the area you are right now, I wouldn't use a low spoke count rear wheel. Especially if your roads are rugged and you plan on using low volume tires.
Old 08-04-16, 12:37 PM
Duke Broadway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Still plugging away. Dont really have a goal weight just be want to continue to get in better shape. I will check out Velomine. If something catches my eye I may see what you guys think.
Old 08-04-16, 01:06 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by Duke Broadway
Thanks. Still plugging away. Dont really have a goal weight just be want to continue to get in better shape. I will check out Velomine. If something catches my eye I may see what you guys think.

I like these. I don't know how he builds them so reasonably priced.

Sun CR18 Black 700c 36h Fixed Gear Singlespeed Wheelset Black Black Sun rims high flange Formula fixed gear track hubs wheels wheelset [0072774711871] - $115.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super r
Old 08-04-16, 02:42 PM
Duke Broadway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you squid! Will read up more on those
Old 08-05-16, 07:08 AM
Duke Broadway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think its cause its just what I am use to, but always drawn to the wheelsets with the milled breaking surface. Do I need to retrain my brain here when picking a wheelset? I am drawn to the mavic cpx22 wheelset on velomine but they are out of stock.

Last edited by Duke Broadway; 08-05-16 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-05-16, 08:15 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

You like what you like.
Old 08-06-16, 05:05 AM
bikeclub

Bikes: Many machines in pieces on the ground.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi, I also just finished my first single speed build this week, described elsewhere on BF (here), so here are some thoughts, take them as you will.

I am making a list of items I am planning to order to do a SS conversion on a 1986 Nishiki Rally I recently purchased.
One thing I'd be concerned about is what Sheldon Brown mentions, that bikes without horizontal or sliding dropouts (i.e. vertical or semi-vertical) are difficult to get the right chain tension on. If I look at this picture elsewhere on BF of a 1986 Nishiki Rally, it doesn't look like this bike has horizontal dropouts (correct me if I'm wrong). So I think you'll need a chain tensioner, unless you get the deluxe Eno eccentric hub recommended by Sheldon Brown and then build up your own wheels (I didn't, but am considering it for winter).

1. Conversion Kit Fixie Bike Single Speed Shimano Adaptor:
https://www.amazon.com/Conversion-Fi...conversion+kit
You can get a whole single speed conversion kit at Nashbar for about $20, down to $17 with their ubiquitous discounts, that includes the spacers, three cogs, and chain tensioner. I find it works pretty well. Performance Bike also has them.

Sugino Pista Crank (RD2 crank arms), Bottom Bracket, and Chain
It's a beautiful crankset, I got one from Universal Cycles for about $100, which was the best price I could find.

Bottom bracket doesn't seem like a problem to me. The spacer kit means that you can reset the chainline pretty easy on a wheel set with a full-width freewheel. Also, with the relatively cheap spacer and sprocket that I used, and you're considering, you might not want to buy a very nice set of wheels, or else accept that you may have to replace the freewheel if you ever convert it back, since other users have said that the sprocket eventually damaged the freewheel splines. My freewheel is 23 years old, so I am using this for the single speed, and I've decided if I really like it, I'll get or build a new, single speed-specific wheel set.

Also, make sure that you get the right size chainring for your style of riding. I built a hybrid for both on- and off-road use, so I went 38x16, which is a bit big for the trail but just about right for the road. I got a 48T chainring with the crankset but can't imagine using it offroad or on the hills.

As far as I know, the only restriction is that the chain works with the Sugino chainrings and sprocket, so I went with 3/32". KMC-Z-72 with missing link to be specific, but lots of chains at this width for less than $10.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by bikeclub; 08-07-16 at 07:03 PM.