Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

If you commuted, Would you have an E-Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-18, 04:17 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts

If you commuted, E-bike?

Riding for fun & fitness is one thing
But
If I had to ride to & from everyday, an
E-Bike would be the best way.
18 mph avg, would be sweet.

Can see it becoming more & more crowded with bikes
on bike commuting routes in the next few years.

LOL.. Rush hour on the MUPs

Last edited by bogydave; 10-21-18 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 04:29 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by bogydave
If you commuted, E-bike?

But

As much as I'd like to jump on that theory, it isn't legal to ride on all ped used routes.
The bike paths around my neck of the woods all have signs posted stating "No motorized vehicles allowed" That does include e-bikes. The electric windings make up a motor.

Also, the amount of use that those e-bikes might see around here is at best five months out of 12. Factor in theft/crime, it just doesn't seem like a favorable idea. Might be best to just relocate closer to work that might make a fat tire bike a better choice when the snow hits.
Old 10-21-18, 04:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
As much as I'd like to jump on that theory, it isn't legal to ride on all ped used routes.
The bike paths around my neck of the woods all have signs posted stating "No motorized vehicles allowed" That does include e-bikes. The electric windings make up a motor.
The legality of E-Bikes on paths is ambiguous. For a large part they are being ignored in most localities. And, it is better for everyone to have them off of the streets as much as possible.

That could change, of course, as we get more of them.

However, in my personal life, I have gotten most of my bike riding and exercise through bike commuting. I just never get out jogging.

So, I'd prefer just using my road bike. Ok, so I'm not dragging a boat anchor around (but do frequently have a trailer). But, that is my exercise. Riding a "motorcycle" just won't do it.

What the E-Bikes may do is extend the range that people do. So, the average bike commute is < 10 miles, and few are > 20 miles. And E-Bike could extend that somewhat, although speed becomes an issue when going > 20 miles (an hour or so on a bike).

Oh, and if I work at it, I can average 18MPH on a pedal bike. No need for fancy electronics.
Old 10-21-18, 05:06 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Ummmm ... there is an E-bike sub-forum on here (I have no idea why; these contraptions have nothing to do with cycling) for people interested in electric mopeds of all sorts. You should ask to have this thread moved there.

Me? Nope. No interest. I'm interested in bicycles -- the use thereof for various purposes -- and the activity of cycling.
Old 10-21-18, 05:23 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I have never tried one. But I bet they are very, very heavy.
Old 10-21-18, 06:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
I commute and won't be getting an ebike. Defeats the purpose for me.
Old 10-21-18, 06:35 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
The bike paths around my neck of the woods all have signs posted stating "No motorized vehicles allowed" That does include e-bikes.
Have you checked the applicable rules/regs? A few weeks ago I was cycling on an M.U.P. run by the PA state park system. Several signs reading "NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES." Saw two people with e-assist bikes and got curious. Found out that the PA state parks allow ebike use wherever regular bike use is allowed. In other words, they don't consider an ebike (as defined in the rules) as a "motorized vehicle."
Old 10-21-18, 06:36 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
I'd use one if I wanted to arrive dry in a suit someplace. I am more keen on pedelecs or some configuration thereof though.
Old 10-21-18, 06:47 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Well I'll play straight-man to this. As someone who does ride to & from every day, and does average about 18 on the home leg, I'd say no I would not have an E-bike.
Old 10-21-18, 06:51 PM
Allez3

Bikes: Sirrus, Midnight Special (almost there)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This x10000000000000000
Old 10-21-18, 06:53 PM
Troul 

Have you checked the applicable rules/regs? A few weeks ago I was cycling on an M.U.P. run by the PA state park system. Several signs reading "NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES." Saw two people with e-assist bikes and got curious. Found out that the PA state parks allow ebike use wherever regular bike use is allowed. In other words, they don't consider an ebike (as defined in the rules) as a "motorized vehicle."
Yea I've inquired.
Old 10-21-18, 06:57 PM
Troul 

If i didn't have property & such to upkeep, a career requiring of me to travel far for work activities, i might see an e bike doable. Currently it is not the case.
Old 10-21-18, 07:07 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
For me, the purpose of riding to work would be so that I could average 18, without a motor. But I have no interest in ebikes anyways. My commute would be about 35 miles, across dirt roads, so ebikes would be unquestionably legal but the only purpose to ride would be for fitness since my commute would take about 4x the time by bike.
Old 10-21-18, 07:11 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
If you commuted, E-bike?

But

If I had to do my last commute again, yeah, I’d get an ebike. It was only about 2 miles away, but it was ~600 ft vertical (my job was at the top) with some pretty steep (like 10-13%) grades.

The problem with a regular bike was not that I couldn’t climb it (I would regularly for the workout) it was that I could not be showing up to work soaking in sweat. So I usually took the bus or walked. I worked remotely a lot, only going in for meetings, maybe 1-2 times a week.

I have zero interest in ebikes for anythng I consider “cycling”. It’s not cyclimg and I would never pretend it is. To me they are just cheap, affordable, quiet motor scooters they you can park in a bike rack. And for that reason I think they are awesome.
Old 10-21-18, 07:44 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I want one when I need one to keep in biking when I am old. Short of that hard no
Old 10-21-18, 08:22 PM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would vote no to an E-bike for me. Just seems wrong.
On Fridays, I ride down to take the Metro link train down to an airport I work at, the bike car (one car is dedicated for bikes and is marked as such on the outside -very cool!) When I get on the train on the return trip back home (originates in downtown Los Angeles) the car is usually filled with E-Bikes. I just figure if it cuts down on cars on the freeways, it is a good thing...
Old 10-21-18, 08:28 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
No e-bike for me. I ride to work by choice, and the effort is part of the enjoyment.
Old 10-21-18, 10:17 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Yeah, same here.

That said, I know one person (yep, exactly one) who often commutes with an ebike and uses it for hauling kids and such. I could see the pedal assist versions being nice for some people with commutes that are longer than they're comfortable with, I'm just not one of them.
Old 10-21-18, 10:44 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
As somebody that lives only 3 miles from work and drives the answer is yes. I work 12am to 8am and my trip to work and back is one of those up hill both ways deals. Riding to work isn't too bad actually, it isn't super hot out at that time of night but in the morning I just want to go home and go to bed and my home trip is even more hill. The real question though is it worth spending the money for a bike I'd just ride 6 miles a day back and forth to work and the answer there is NO. I'm just going to replace my current car with a chevy volt and keep my regular bikes.
Old 10-21-18, 10:51 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts

Also, the amount of use that those e-bikes might see around here is at best five months out of 12. Factor in theft/crime, it just doesn't seem like a favorable idea. Might be best to just relocate closer to work that might make a fat tire bike a better choice when the snow hits.
Oh really. Maybe in your neck of the woods..? But I doubt it. It'll be like here.

Here, an e-bike is classed as a bicycle in every legal way, shape and form, and can be used in every way any bicycle can, as long as it conforms to the legal standard.

Pedal assist
250w
15.5mph (I believe it's 20mph over in the States)

Your theory about 'electric windings' has nothing to do with the law because an e-bike is not a self-propelled vehicle and therefore not legally categorised as a motorised vehicle.
Old 10-21-18, 11:05 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
E-bikewith regen are far safer and more sociable than manual bikes.

It's not acceptable to be doing more than 20mph on an MUP. The cyclists I see riding too fast are all on manual bikes - not only does my e-bike stop me struggling on steep hills and sweating in my work clothes, it also slows me down.

When I ride downhill, the charging puts resistance on the bike and keeps me at the same sociable speed I went up it.
Also, I don't mind stopping and slowing for people because I can just pull away again with little effort, so I don't weave about trying to maintain my velocity.

As a genuine hybrid vehicle, and the most efficient one on earth (infinite range as a result of pedal-charging), and as a bike that is able to run at reduced top speeds whilst maintaining the same average speed, the e-bike makes a manual bike look like a dinosaur.
Old 10-21-18, 11:19 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Right now I wouldn't use a pedelec bike but that doesn't mean I won't in the future. As I get older, my mind and body don't seem to be aging at the same rate, so I won't rule out using this style of bike.
Old 10-21-18, 11:40 PM
howardv

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
I can see e-bikes having a place for people who are willing to give up driving, but haven't done so because a regular bicycle doesn't fit their lifestyle. People who don't want to go to work sweaty or they may have to conquer some hills, etc. No reason why you can't use max power to get to work and not sweat, and then use a low power setting for coming home so you also get a good workout!

Personally, I work from home, so this is not an issue. But I bicycle 90% of the time everywhere. I recently added an e-bike to my collection because there are times I don't want to sweat. Riding to restaurants to meet friends, going to the doctor/dentist, going for a haircut, and anywhere else I don't want to arrive sweaty. I've been really impressed with the e-bike. You can get as much as little of a workout that you want. That's why it has different settings. I was able to discover new canyon roads that I hadn't ventured before due to distance and climb. I was so impressed that I bought a 2nd e-mountain bike. I now ride all my bikes. I enjoy them all! My current inventory:

I support e-bikes for two main reasons: Get people out of their cars, and second, adding to the number of cyclists who need better road infrastructure.
Old 10-21-18, 11:57 PM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
90% of my rides are commutes (17km one way). No e-bike. Just fenders and a rack.
Old 10-22-18, 12:19 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts

If I commuted, Would you have an E-Bike?

A most intriguing conditional. However, I'm not convinced YOUR commuting will directly impact MY E-Bike ownership.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.