Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Seattle to Calgary

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Seattle to Calgary

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 11:08 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Seattle to Calgary

Anyone have suggestions? My thought was highway 2 across WA, Centennial Trail to Hiawatha, up to Kalispell from Superior MT, over Logan Pass then up to Calgary.
Old 07-16-23, 11:03 AM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
Someone recently posted a recommendation for "cycle.travel" site for routing. I've looked at it a bit and it seems quite good.
Old 07-17-23, 09:22 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
For the Canadian section I would suggest Highway 22 from Lundbreck north to the Calgary metro region.
Another alternative would be highway 541/40 over Highwood Pass and then Highway 1 or 1A, to Calgary, but both 1 and 1A can be unpleasant to ride.
Old 07-17-23, 12:53 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I would wait for the smoke to clear. Also the prevailing winds are from the northwest so it may help with the smoke except there are many fires around Calgary. The Air Quality Index for your ride is easy to find and keep in mind that a AQI below 50 for the USA is safe for bicycling. Higher than that and you risk permanent damage to your lungs.
Old 07-17-23, 03:01 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 249 Posts
How about some fricking details??
Age, how many days you have, camping?
I did a 3,900 mile loop to NW Oregon in 2018, only motels. I got a lot of smoke too. Going, I went thru Calgary, Banff, Golden, Okanagan, Princeton, Hope. My uncle lives by Glenmore, so I exited Calgary on hwy 8 and the 22 to the Trans/Can. I didn't bother with 1A or the bike path. I had a rare east wind. LOL.
Coming homeward from Kennewick I went up 395 mostly to Spokane, then C'dL, north to Sandpoint, Cranbrook, crow highway to Pincher Creek, then hwy 2 to Calgary. Except for damn trouble with flat tires, it was a very easy riding and nice going by rivers and lakes. Calgary freeways/ highways are HELL for bikes, unlike any around Edmonton.
So nothing in Montana. I've driven Logan Pass a couple times, I can't say it's all that worth the trouble. I've mostly just driven thru Helena and Great Falls coming and going to Vegas, etc.
If you have unlimited time and really want scenery, go up 93 and thru Radium, Banff, Canmore. Take lots of money. LOL.
Been 30 or 40 years since I was on WA 2 or 20.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 07-26-23 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-17-23, 03:24 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Some friends rode Spokane to Canmore last summer; if that route is useful to you in planning your route, I could find their route and send it along. They did it in 4 days, 80-120 miles/day, stayed in hotels.
Old 07-18-23, 10:41 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
How about some fricking details??
Age, how many days you have, camping?
I did a 3,900 mile loop to NW Oregon in 2018, only motels. I got a lot of smoke too. Going, I went thru Calgary, Banff, Golden, Okanagan, Princeton, Hope. My uncle lives by Glenmore, so I exited Calgary on hwy 8 and the 22 to the Trans/Can. I didn't bother with 1A or the bike path. I had a rare east wind. LOL.
Coming homeward from Kennewick I went up 395 to Spokane, then C'dL, north to Sandpoint, Cranbrook, crow highway to Pincher Creek, then hwy 2 to Calgary. Except for damn trouble with flat tires, it was a very easy riding and nice going by rivers and lakes. Calgary freeways/ highways are HELL for bikes, unlike any around Edmonton.
So nothing in Montana. I've driven Logan Pass a couple times, I can't say it's all that worth the trouble. I've mostly just driven thru Helena and Great Falls coming and going to Vegas, etc.
If you have unlimited time and really want scenery, go up 93 and thru Radium, Banff, Canmore. Take lots of money. LOL.
Been 30 or 40 years since I was on WA 2 or 20.
Trying to sort that out. My friend has camping gear, wants to do a mx of camping/credit card touring. I know most of the roads to the US/Canada border, but not after that
Old 07-19-23, 07:03 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
I would wait for the smoke to clear. Also the prevailing winds are from the northwest so it may help with the smoke except there are many fires around Calgary. The Air Quality Index for your ride is easy to find and keep in mind that a AQI below 50 for the USA is safe for bicycling. Higher than that and you risk permanent damage to your lungs.
Smoke isn't bad today, but its unpredictable. We are along way from the fires but we get the smoke anyway.