Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Jubile Sport 1982

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-20, 03:59 PM
Ngrandin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Jubile Sport 1982

Hi everybody

i just buy this bike for 65$. I think it was a good deal... but maybe im wrong!!?
everything looks original suntour equipment and motobecane break...
what do you suggest me to do to look better? Any suggestion? (Already put back the handlebar)
any tips to clean the bike?
i want to had breaklever on the handlebar any suggestion too?
thanks in advance

Old 02-29-20, 04:29 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Nice buy and nice deal. Regarding cleaning, I've had good luck with a cleaner called Simple Green. Don't use anything abrasive on the paint. There are a lot of automotive products you can buy to shine up the paint and protect it. Any rust spots or paint chips can be touched up with enamel paint.

Everyone has their own way to polish up the aluminum bits. You might search the forum. I have had success with steel wool, type 000, pretty fine stuff. Meguiars also has a tin of cleaning wipes impregnated with a product that brightens aluminum. Works really well.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 02-29-20, 08:40 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I’d replace all cables and use stainless. I’d clean and lube chain and freewheel. BB may be French threaded so if you service it, be careful.

if you are buying to resell, then building a reputation for quality work is key. I’ve had a lot of repeat buyers over the years. Ten bikes to one family is not unusual. Doing good work is key.

If you are buying to keep, same drill really. Do it right,. New brake pads and cable housings too.

i pretty much disassemble the bike and install new bearings and grease.

Last edited by wrk101; 03-01-20 at 09:46 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 03-01-20, 07:03 PM
Ngrandin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your response guys
i didnt buy it to sell it! I really want to keep it...
i tight the rear cable but the break dont work as good as i want...
Old 03-10-20, 10:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Ngrandin
Listen to wrk101, you must remove the cables and their housings. Buy new lined cable housing and new inner cables. Cut the housing to match the originals. Remove the brake calipers, clean and lubricate them. Replace the brake pads with either soft BMX pads or KoolStop Continental pads. Re-install the calipers. Re-run the inner cable through the lever, and then through the newly cut housings. Feed the cables through their guides and to the caliper. Set cable length and tighten. That'll take care of the brakes.

Ask as you do the rest of the bike. PG
Old 03-10-20, 10:25 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That's a nice bike and will make a fine rider. Are you located outside the US?

As a keeper, I would overhaul the bike (bottom bracket, hubs, headset). Plus you will want to grease the seatpost and bar/stem. Also replace the consumables such as cables and housing, chain, and tires. Once you do that, you have a fine riding machine and you will have taught yourself how to fix up old bikes.

These motobecane branded weinmann brakes need to be centered properly. The rubber hood over the brake pops off and you can use a 5 mm wrench to center them. Otherwise you can center them using the springs. This tool will make that job easier:

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Off.../dp/B077YMPKQ2
Old 03-10-20, 03:21 PM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "breaklever on the handlebar". Are you talking about safety levers?
Old 03-10-20, 03:28 PM
Ngrandin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Its going to be somethink like that... Im going to change the cable break and a friends going to check all the gear system and change the "rubber" in the handle bar with a black brook... And yes im in us in california ventura Thanks
Old 03-10-20, 06:32 PM
kross57

Its going to be somethink like that... Im going to change the cable break and a friends going to check all the gear system and change the "rubber" in the handle bar with a black brook... And yes im in us in california ventura Thanks
To add them to the handlebars on your bike you would need to remove both the original leather wraps and the brake levers. I would recommend you keep the original bars as is. Pick up a second set and use them instead. You might find bars with the levers already mounted. Then if you sell the bike down the road, you still have the nice original bars and levers.
Old 03-11-20, 09:18 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Trying to remember, weren't the molded one-piece handlebar/brake hood rubber things made by Hutchinson for Motobecane? It would be a shame to destroy that part. I'd recommend keeping as is.
Old 03-11-20, 11:05 AM
Ngrandin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Trying to remember, weren't the molded one-piece handlebar/brake hood rubber things made by Hutchinson for Motobecane? It would be a shame to destroy that part. I'd recommend keeping as is.
yes this the molded one piece made by hutchinson
Old 03-11-20, 04:20 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts

Those things were referred to as "suicide levers" back in the day. They were truly awful. Modern aero levers with interrupter levers are a much safer alternative
The "safety lever" misnomer was a cruel joke. Often referred to as "turkey wings". They actually reduced your full braking capacity

Last edited by alcjphil; 03-11-20 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-11-20, 05:02 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Yes, they were one piece. I have one of these bikes that I rebuilt with a better set of wheels/tubulars. Great riding bike IMO

Last edited by daviddavieboy; 03-11-20 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-11-20, 06:55 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Those things were referred to as "suicide levers" back in the day. They were truly awful. Modern aero levers with interrupter levers are a much safer alternative
The "safety lever" misnomer was a cruel joke. Often referred to as "turkey wings". They actually reduced your full braking capacity
The pin that the brake lever clamp goes through is useful though. You take off the suicide lever, file a flate on two sides of that pin opposite each other and then you put a stem-mount or down-tube **** lever onto that protruding pin. Like this.

Cheers
Old 03-11-20, 07:00 PM
Ngrandin

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok thanks.
So i am going to keep the hutchinson handbar and put a new one on the bike. If one day i want to sell the bike i will give the old hand bar...
i've got a family friends who's got a bike shop so i gave him the bike and he is going to fix it perfectly...
Old 03-11-20, 07:57 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Yes this bike does have the faux leather Hitchinson wraps which are pretty nice a full bar set stem bars , brake brake levers this clean goes about $100 plus the $50 it will take to ship.
Old 03-12-20, 05:12 AM
kross57

Ok thanks.
So i am going to keep the hutchinson handbar and put a new one on the bike. If one day i want to sell the bike i will give the old hand bar...
i've got a family friends who's got a bike shop so i gave him the bike and he is going to fix it perfectly...
I did that with one of my bikes and it worked out perfectly. Good move!
Old 03-12-20, 11:44 AM
alcjphil

Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
The pin that the brake lever clamp goes through is useful though. You take off the suicide lever, file a flate on two sides of that pin opposite each other and then you put a stem-mount or down-tube **** lever onto that protruding pin. Like this.

Cheers
I had never seen that. Ingenious
Old 03-12-20, 11:57 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by alcjphil
I had never seen that. Ingenious
Thank you. I've often wondered... Should I do a step-by-step with images of how I did that?

Cheers
Old 03-12-20, 06:48 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Thank you. I've often wondered... Should I do a step-by-step with images of how I did that?

Cheers
Not the first time I've seen that set up complimented... I'm sure a write-up would be welcomed.
Old 03-12-20, 07:00 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Not the first time I've seen that set up complimented... I'm sure a write-up would be welcomed.
I guess I'll get some more images and do a step-by-step. Where to post is? Hints & Tricks?

Cheers
Old 03-15-20, 01:31 PM
Ferto

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like this. It looks gentler, but in good condition.