Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

The rest of NY

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 10:32 AM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by greg3rd48
@lost_in_endicott I went to SUNY Binghamton and am from the Bronx. The Bronx does have some of the best pizza anywhere but I have to say that I did and still do like Nirchi's sheet pizza, a local specialty. I went up for a reunion this April and it was as good as I remember and my brother and I brought our bikes to boot. I really enjoyed riding in the Southern Tier and the fall foliage and scenery is spectacular. It can be quite hilly though.
Nirchi's breakfast pizza!!

It can be a tough place to ride if you want it to be. Generally flat in the valley, but if you want hills, you don't have to go very far.
Old 10-10-16, 11:13 AM
NYSteve

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who goes to Binghamton to eat Pizza?

Speidies from Lupo's are a must. For me, I like Pork and Lamb they cook it fresh when ordered!

But now that I think of it, across the street from Lupo's in Kmart Plaza is a really decent NY Pizza place.
Old 10-10-16, 11:14 AM
NYSteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greg, where in the Bronx, I was born and raised in Morris Park.
Old 10-10-16, 01:22 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Steve - Pine Creek Gorge is probably nice this time of year, and not too far for you. Although not in NY of course. if you haven't been there it's a packed gravel trail with a mild grade (1-2% iirc).

I seem to recall thinking Rt 14 along the west side of Seneca Lake would be a nice ride - not too hilly once you are out of WG right?
Old 10-10-16, 03:10 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NYSteve;19113655[B
]who goes to Binghamton to eat Pizza?
[/B]
Speidies from Lupo's are a must. For me, I like Pork and Lamb they cook it fresh when ordered!

But now that I think of it, across the street from Lupo's in Kmart Plaza is a really decent NY Pizza place.
People who live in Binghamton?

NY Pizzaria is the place you're thinking of. Grandes on Front St., Michelangelo's on Court St., and Mama Giuseppa's on North St. in Endicott are our favorites.
Old 10-10-16, 04:27 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by lost_in_endicot
People who live in Binghamton?

NY Pizzaria is the place you're thinking of. Grandes on Front St., Michelangelo's on Court St., and Mama Giuseppa's on North St. in Endicott are our favorites.
Cortese's on Robinson St. is my favorite. My family is from Binghamton way back. Soft spot in my heart for this neck of NY.
Old 10-10-16, 04:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by NYSteve
The rest of New York, where are you riding to take advantage of the changing colors.

I regularly ride the Catherine Valley Trail from Horeseheads to Watkins Glen and Back. It's beautiful.

I want to ride someplace different. 20-30 miles with no monster hills. I am looking from the Hudson valley to north and west.
Not yet peak in the Hudson Valley. It was near peak in the Adirondacks when we were camping last week. The foliage went back to green coming down the Taconic.

Good rail trail rides are the Walkill Trail in the area south of Kingston, another is the Catskill Scenic Trail up in Roxbury,

Not sure where your home base is so can't suggest many others as not sure where you want to travel to.
Old 10-10-16, 06:17 PM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I everyone, im new and saw this thread. I live here in Syracuse. One of the nice things is that the Erie Canal Bike Trail runs right thru us. You can go to the Green Lakes Cedar Bay area and take the canal towards utica if you like(East). That in itself is a very long ride a good 70 at least. Years ago I barely made it to Rome lol.

But you can also access the Erie Canal Bike Trail in Camillus at the "Sims Store". Thats West of the City. That section will take you all the way into Port Byron (approx 60 plus miles)heading west.

Heres a shot of the Erie Canal Aqueduct in Camillus (I believe its the only working one left???)

Both sections are flat for the most part, well maintained light stone base, several nice stopping points along the way...Beach Cruisers or getouttamywayimridingbyfast can be accommodated on this trail lol.

But we also now have the "loop the lake" trail at Onondaga Lake (photo below)which right now is a total of just 7 miles but honeywell is working on making it a full loop (approx 13miles). This trail is paved, winding, flat with awesome stops and is a nice ride for sure. Nice parking in all of the above areas I talked about.

But it is fun to ride up here in are area CNY...We just dont have much time left this year lol..

Old 10-10-16, 06:54 PM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
One more thing.Here is an interactive trail map of the Erie Canal New York State. Its awesome for planning a ride..

Parks & Trails New York :: Erie Canalway Trail Map
Old 10-11-16, 06:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by NYSteve
That is one heck of a ride, did you do that? Wow, that seems like an ungodly amount of climbing. Great word, if that was you.
That was the fourth day of a week long tour from Brattleboro, VT to Philly. I actually came up short that day due to various circumstances and ended up camping in Cuddebackville, NY, at about mile 59. The second day was 53 miles with nearly 4,100' of climbing:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16070756
Old 10-11-16, 01:29 PM
NYSteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
Steve - Pine Creek Gorge is probably nice this time of year, and not too far for you. Although not in NY of course. if you haven't been there it's a packed gravel trail with a mild grade (1-2% iirc).

I seem to recall thinking Rt 14 along the west side of Seneca Lake would be a nice ride - not too hilly once you are out of WG right?
It's hilly but the hills are rolling. I was thinking about having the wife drive me to Geneva and riding the bike Down 14 to WG.
Old 10-11-16, 01:33 PM
NYSteve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That loop the lake trail looks awesome!
Old 10-11-16, 02:56 PM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It really is nice, they are not done with it yet but for now it goes a little more than 7 miles. If you have ever been to the NYS Fair, coming in from 81 you would get off exit 7 of 690W go right up to the orange parking lot. They have a nice parking area right there. Thats where the West Shore section starts.

Heres some shots:

Several rest stops along the way with bike racks lol...

It passes right thru the new Lakeview Amphitheater. They have open bathrooms here. They only closes this section when there is a concert here.

Plenty of this.

And this.....

My profile pic is where it ends up (west side trail) its called Long Branch Park. From there you pickup the East Shore trail

All free of course. All paved but there are gravel trails within....
Old 10-11-16, 03:09 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Rode the North County from Millwood to Mahopac on Saturday. Leaves are only around 20%. Might be peak in a week or two
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6281.jpg (93.1 KB, 105 views)
Old 11-05-16, 12:33 PM
Heyspike

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale Carbon Synapse,2016 Cannondale Beast of the East, 2014 Cannondale CAADX, 1990's Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NYSteve:
The rail trail from Hopewell Junction to the Railway Bridge over the Hudson (Poughkeepsie) is real nice. Round trip about 28 miles, well paved and plenty of parking.
The Goshen to Monroe one is ok. I'm waiting for them to start/finish the trail from Middletown to Goshen. That would be great. And then Middletown and beyond.
Old 04-05-20, 10:02 AM
ewdiller

Bikes: 2022 Trek Emonda SL5, 2022 Trek Marlin 6

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Heyspike
NYSteve:
The rail trail from Hopewell Junction to the Railway Bridge over the Hudson (Poughkeepsie) is real nice. Round trip about 28 miles, well paved and plenty of parking.
The Goshen to Monroe one is ok. I'm waiting for them to start/finish the trail from Middletown to Goshen. That would be great. And then Middletown and beyond.
Riding the Goshen trail this afternoon
Old 04-27-20, 09:18 PM
ArmaanOG

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carmel/Mahopac/Yorktown Bike path@ Great for kids for most parts (with some hills being issues)! Love it!