Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My Top 10 Essentials For Every Road Ride

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My Top 10 Essentials For Every Road Ride

Old 05-08-20, 08:46 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 401 Posts
A mini adjustable wrench can be handy if your bike components warrant it. Also I carry an old school box cutter, the thin rectangular type, just in case I need a blade. It's been useful and doesn't take up much room at all.

Old 05-08-20, 10:14 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
No water bottles?
I think the thread intention is what's in the jersey pocket(s). We're all assuming water bottle(s) are on the bike already...
Old 05-08-20, 10:15 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
And, if you want to free up more wallet space, get an Apple watch and leave the cell phone at home.
fify
Likes For superdex:
Old 05-08-20, 10:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
fify
You only need one dollar to boot a tire ... the rest is just extra weight.
Old 05-09-20, 03:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Cell phone and food in pockets, the rest goes in the seat pack. I don't see any point in filling your pockets with tubes, etc if you have a seat pack.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-09-20, 04:33 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Cell phone and food in pockets, the rest goes in the seat pack. I don't see any point in filling your pockets with tubes, etc if you have a seat pack.
I agree. That said, I don’t bother with seat packs and am able to put the bare necessities in my pockets.
Old 05-09-20, 06:20 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I agree. That said, I don’t bother with seat packs and am able to put the bare necessities in my pockets.
I don’t like to weigh down my jersey pockets any more than I have to. Usually just my phone, food if a longer ride and tissues to blow my nose in colder weather.
Likes For MSchott:
Old 05-09-20, 06:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
I think the thread intention is what's in the jersey pocket(s). We're all assuming water bottle(s) are on the bike already...
I suppose you're right, but the same OP I think had a recent video about booting a blown tire during his last 100+ mile ride, yet there's no tire boot in his photographed kit. So, we surmise this thread really is about what you keep in a jersey pocket, vs. what you keep in a saddlebag?
Old 05-09-20, 07:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Yeah, he says in post #3 that he also uses a seat bag.
Old 05-09-20, 10:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
For the past couple of months I've added these to my jersey pocket. Surgical mask and gloves. Thanks, coronavirus.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-09-20, 10:26 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yup, that's why I keep a $5 in my tool kit - I can use it as a boot, if necessary, or to buy some food if I didn't plan well with the snacks.
A $5 makes a much more effective boot than a $1, but it weighs a lot more too, and that's rotational. Tough choice.
Old 05-09-20, 10:42 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
A $5 makes a much more effective boot than a $1, but it weighs a lot more too, and that's rotational. Tough choice.

Staple some rubber bands to it, and you can use it for a mask...
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-09-20, 11:05 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Bike stuff in the saddle bag, specific to each bike. Jersey pockets:

right - paper towel
center - cell phone
left - ID (my old drivers license), card with basic medical and emergency contact info, credit card, some cash. All in a little folding thing to keep together.

if I’m expecting to go more than 45-50 miles, a Clif Bar in the left pocket. For a 70-100 mile ride I might add more food and/or electrolytes depending on if it is supported and/or where I’m going and what services are available.
Old 05-09-20, 11:35 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Lezyne glueless self sticking patch kit. It's smaller than a credit card and almost as thin. Includes self-sticking patches, a tire boot with instructions printed on it, and a tube scuffer. I've used these for a few years and they worked great. They'll fit into a niche in even the smallest saddle bag.

These used to be readily available for around $3 locally, but may not be available now. I see them advertised on Amazon for $10, which is way too much.

I still carry the same little Lezyne plastic envelopes, but now I'll insert whatever glueless self sticking patches I can find from the LBS or online. Park Tools and others make them.
Old 05-10-20, 03:01 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
A few things in the pocket.

cell

pen & paper

emergency clear envelope: copy of drivers license, home contact number, blood type, house key
Old 05-10-20, 10:47 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I suppose you're right, but the same OP I think had a recent video about booting a blown tire during his last 100+ mile ride, yet there's no tire boot in his photographed kit. So, we surmise this thread really is about what you keep in a jersey pocket, vs. what you keep in a saddlebag?
It's BF, coulda been talking about what's in the glove box for all we know
Likes For superdex:
Old 05-10-20, 11:06 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I don't see the point of carrying two tubes and a patch kit, or multiple CO2 cartridges and a pump.
I carry one tube and a patch kit, plus one CO2 cart and a small pump like this. It's my PACE plan: Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency.

I don't flat very often, and when I do it's usually only once, so a single tube and a CO2 cart make for a quick stop. If I missed the source of the original flat and it flats again, or I get unlucky and flat the other wheel too, well, there's the patch kit and pump. It's about optimizing for the common case, but being prepared for the uncommon cases if need be.
Old 05-10-20, 11:11 AM
SethAZ 

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Money works well. Just make sure you carry a one. I forgot once a had to use a twenty.
Oh, look at the high-roller!
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 05-10-20, 11:46 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
I carry one tube and a patch kit, plus one CO2 cart and a small pump like this. It's my PACE plan: Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency.
The OP is carrying two tubes, a patch kit, multiple CO2 cartridges, and a pump for a 50-75 mile ride. That seems like overkill -- you can lose the second tube and extra CO2 if you have a patch kit and a pump -- just as you are doing.
Old 05-10-20, 11:57 AM
SethAZ 

The OP is carrying two tubes, a patch kit, multiple CO2 cartridges, and a pump for a 50-75 mile ride. That seems like overkill -- you can lose the second tube and extra CO2 if you have a patch kit and a pump -- just as you are doing.
No doubt, and I wouldn't carry any of that bike-related stuff in my jersey. That's what the saddlebag is for. But hey, it's his PACE plan, he just uses a 2nd tube for the hopefully uncommon case of multiple flats where I choose to fall back on the patch kit after one tube. There's no right answer, though: he's making his choice for his reasons, and it works for him. Someone will undoubtedly show up and criticize anyone who carries even one tube or any CO2 carts because, well, all you need is a patch kit and a micro-pump, right?
Old 05-10-20, 02:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Patches make more sense than a second spare tube. Weigh less, smaller, and you are prepared for several subsequent flats, not just one more. However, I've read that some folks are unable to competently patch a tube. If that's a concern, then carry more tubes.
Old 05-10-20, 03:49 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
In the pocket. Cell, energy gels, tissue, keys. Anything else in a seat bag or water bottle holder. Also an ID, but I will soon rplace that with a road-ID.
Old 05-10-20, 04:14 PM
SethAZ 

OK, well, I just put my saddlebag recovery kit to use today after making my earlier post. Suffered my first flat out in the wild in probably my last 1000 miles or so. Replaced the tube on the side of the road using my spare. Decided to try to pump it up with my micropump instead of blowing my CO2 catridge, but after 200-300 strokes with it it had air but not enough to safely ride home on it. I'd have needed to probably do another 200-300 strokes with it. I've used that micropump before and remembered it being bad, but not that bad. It's a 32mm tire so it'll take a lot of air, but damn. I was listening carefully and could hear a tiny bit of air leakage, but not much, so it was getting a net amount of air per stroke, just a very small amount, so lots of strokes. I finally just said screw it and blew the CO2 cartridge.

I may just carry 2 carts from now on, and reserve a million strokes with that micropump for any instance where I have more than 2 flats. I wasn't in a hurry today and could have gotten enough air into the tire with the micropump, but it was also freaking hot out and I got impatient. I'd rather relegate that micropump to Plan C.

Gonna go back out to the garage, repack my saddlebag with a new spare and 2 CO2 carts, then hit the road again. I had some mileage goals for today, and though I won't meet them entirely, I'd at least like to get a little more done before I call it a day.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 05-11-20, 06:25 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I carried the same in an Arundel Dual (excl the pump).. so it's not really overkill if your bag holds it -- ie. you might as well. My pump sits attached with a bracket that fits under the DT water bottle cage. It's for that 3rd flat possibility, or screwing up while using a CO2, or for slow leak scenario where you can get home by just topping off the leaky tire. Like patches, using a micro pump comparatively sucks vs CO2s from speed and effort standpoint.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Patches make more sense than a second spare tube. Weigh less, smaller, and you are prepared for several subsequent flats, not just one more. However, I've read that some folks are unable to competently patch a tube. If that's a concern, then carry more tubes.
2-3 glueless patches take almost no room and weigh next to nothing. These are carried for the reason that there's no reason not to... and sit in the bag (or in a wallet) for the 3rd flat eventuality. OTOH -- patches suck in terms of the time spent having to use them vs just throwing in a new tube. It's not so much the time actually patching, but eg. a good number of my flats have been the tiny radial wire slow leaks -- finding the actual hole in the tube is what can take quite a while. If you're riding with a group, it's a downer making others wait longer than necessary.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-11-20, 06:37 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I didn't click the blog link because the OP could have listed the contents on here if a discussion were the actual goal.
Maybe its mentioned in the blog,, or maybe its in the wedge bag that's used, but a quick link is important.
I mention a quick link since some newer cyclists might read thru a more basic thread like this.

Tube/tire issues is probably the most common mechanical when riding(so spare tube and boot). Next is probably adjusting something(so multitool)- saddle height/angle, stem, bar angle, lever straightness- since things shift and loosen with use or when a bike falls. After that, I would figure a chain issue is the next most common. Having a matching speed quick link can be helpful and it takes up no measurable room.

Again, this may be addressed in the blog, but hasn't been mentioned yet in the thread.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.