Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Picture of Your Favorite Vintage Time Trial Bicycles and Why!

Old 05-21-20, 01:40 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,180 Posts
I think I have everything with the exception of the wheels...I like BG's but the disc's may be out of the question so laced wheels are what I am after.
Matchy-matchy is not as important to me I will match the paint and do a partial respray along with repacing the decals....but who knows, we've all gone down the wormhole before.
What do you think about Velocity Deep V's any good?
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 05-21-20 at 02:24 PM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 05-21-20, 01:42 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1360 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
What's the plan, Ben? If I may ask? Finding wheel is one thing.... but good AND good looking, matching tyres (if it matters to you) for less than the blackmarket price of a left kidney.... thats art these days.

Im sure whatever way you build it, will be cool (no Japanese-styled bmx handlebars, MTB front wheels or other frankenbike accessories hopefully)

Got interested the brand and the firs pic I found was from our famous Bianchigirll from years ago... man... these are nice bikes and shame on me never heard of them....

\
^^^^^^
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 05-22-20, 07:45 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageTTfan
He brought his little cousin

For those who love red.
The rarest of the rares.... I guess in red or any other color, such gems might even find their way into the most religious MTB forums occasionally.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-22-20, 01:53 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Just your average bike that you see in every Walmart:

Would be fun to start a separate thread to see how many of the 135 would show up at least once. On the open web mostly the same pictures are circling and most sites have big gaps.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-22-20, 01:54 PM
Lattz

Just your average bike that you see in every Walmart:

Would be fun to start a separate thread to see how many of the 135 would show up at least once (if there is no such yet). On the open web mostly the same pictures are circling and most sites have big gaps.

Last edited by Lattz; 05-22-20 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-23-20, 08:54 AM
Lattz

the Antonov story take 2 (I realized, I still have way too much pics about these, although I only learned about their existence in Apr, so I keep it short)

found some info since the latest post, that actually the Ukranian Team could have used the original Enei/Eney/Aeneas already on the '96 olympics, as it was supplied to many sport schools in the country, but somehow there was no interest toward them, they were ignored. The team used italian bikes and finished 7th. And in '97 on the World champ they used them, they were fastest, but fell, still got silver (for first time in Ukrainian cycling history). Then they went on using them and won various championships and prizes at almost every prestigious competition.

Then came the 2004 olympics when the team used Elin painted in Colnago livery.... back then when VintageTTfan posted one, I believed its a Colnago, although somehow the bump didn't feel right - I just learned 3 days later that its an Antonov and started to think, that some lucky or rich guy doesn't feel it posh enough to have a rare Antonov, it should rather be a No-Nago because that amazes the masses! Well I was wrong.

Here's the one in question:

and in action:

This triggered a lawsuit as Antonov had an agreement ruling out name of sponsors (I guess in this case Colnago must have sponsored the team to get to this) replacing Antonov on the frame, ultimately the teams started to use other bikes.

They say (in 2006) the Elin is still a popular bike in the national champs, which is interesting, as it is considered a rather rare, old, heavy and really expensive piece of equipment compared to mass produced competition back then.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-23-20, 09:18 AM
Lattz

Antonov - part3

to answer the question, if they are for sale besides the black Elin, yes, every now an then one pops up, rater Elin than Eney (which is odd, as I've found more Eneys for sale in the past ~4-5 years, but articles always say, thats a historical masterpiece, and almost never shows up for sale, or when yes, then its several thousands of dollars).

I start with the one which gave me the plague. I wanted to see, how much a Takhion costs in Ukraine/Russia, as thought it has to be way cheaper, than what the Japanese/Thai/Singaporean eBay hyenas are asking (and I was right) so I found this in Moscow for EUR280 (USD305)... needless to say, I badly wanted it, my style (beaten up, but cheap) and it can have brakes.....it has the original and unique seatpost (back then I didn't even pay attention on that until I saw a replica post for sale for like USD200 and learned these have dedicated posts, clamps), what else do I need? But stuggling over shipping anything from Russia??? Outside EU? In the middle of Corona crisis?? And add on top customs duties and divorce lawyer, the frame is not that cheap in an instant. But kept watching and dreaming about it until it disappeared.

so..
this was on ebay in 2016 for USD4750, relisted several times until it disappeared unsold by then price dropped to 3950.

also eBay, also 2016, Elin Track for USD 890 without fork - unsold.....

the previously shown No-Nago Antonov on LFGSS was for sale last January, for EUR650, price dropped to 550 without answer. This January he got questions if still available.

LFGSS - Eney in 2015, asking price was USD1500 but free shipping.

And these bad boys are actually for sale USD 1900 asking price. Interesting that these look brand new Elin frames, a bit more modern looking, and seems like Antonov renamed them back to Eney (but dropped the Greek charset).

And a random pic dont remember if was for sale but I like the non-orig paint (I need that on my Rossin):

Guess it's enough Antonov for a while....

EDIT: forgot the bonus content on a forum where the various Ukrainian ideas clashed about the Antonov frames (best because ours / overpriced / overweight / good but old etc...) on guy sent this just to represent his opinion hot good, light and innovative Eney was in the 80s

USA 1930s
was laughing like a madman for minutes

Last edited by Lattz; 05-23-20 at 02:19 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-24-20, 03:14 PM
Lattz

And let me lay this little bomb on you:

This is a WOW bike. What I am blown away by though is the rear disc wheel. The optical effects on this are AMAZING. Talk about a rare disc! I have never seen one of these with these graphics. Super cool and it works with this bike. I love finding pictures like this.
this is super random.... Ive seen today this bike for the first time as my desire to uncover the mystery of my Rossin(?) returned so spent my free time checking throughhundreds of bike pics.
And its here agan... would i have a bit more dough I would take it as a heavenly warning to get one
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-25-20, 08:55 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 1,837 Times in 1,050 Posts

Pinarello hanging in the window of Cambridge Bicycles,Cambridge MA -a GREAT shop!!
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 05-25-20, 05:08 PM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I think I have everything with the exception of the wheels...I like BG's but the disc's may be out of the question so laced wheels are what I am after.
Matchy-matchy is not as important to me I will match the paint and do a partial respray along with repacing the decals....but who knows, we've all gone down the wormhole before.
What do you think about Velocity Deep V's any good?
Best, Ben
Got nothing against Velocity, I own a couple sets of AeroHeads because they were light in their time however Deep Vs were close to the bottom of the barrel, heavy, unbalanced, poor aero. About the only thing they had going for them is they were cheep, deep and durable, that's why hipsters/fixies loved them. I would consider looking else where unless you are on an extremely tight budget. Oh, and they were available coloured.

Last edited by m_sasso; 05-25-20 at 05:32 PM.
Likes For m_sasso:
Old 05-27-20, 04:21 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,891 Times in 928 Posts
Road or track? You decide: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/palm...cle/1248892333
Likes For P!N20:
Old 05-27-20, 05:45 AM
P!N20

What say you?
Track ends with a derailleur hanger, front and rear brake holes, top tube internal cable routing...
Likes For P!N20:
Old 05-27-20, 06:01 AM
P!N20

That hub looks weird too...what do you think of that? Or am I imagining it?
Spoke heads should be facing out.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 05-27-20, 09:29 AM
Lattz

Fantastic picture!
Fantastic bike as well... these wheels are especially cool. Here are some of its direct and distant relatives:

Such a band of EGOists....
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-27-20, 09:36 AM
Lattz

I actually like this. I admit it.
Well, it is difficult not to like it. While I assume, doctors would find interesting things in Konno-san's head, as one half of him is absolutely out of this world, I also believe, that one has to be a bit crazy to be able to create such things.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-28-20, 04:53 AM
Lattz

Fantastic post Lattz. Cool how you connected the tubing commonality and the similar models. I picked my two favorite from your post. The top one here is really really nice. I love how the killer handlebars are blue. I don't think I have seen that before but it looks cool. The blue glows here and the splashes of color compliment it nicely. And the tubing is great as you say. Nice matching disc wheels. The thing I like about the Ego tubing is how the head tube comes forward at an angle. It gives the bike a distinctive knife edge look like the machine is about to slice through the air.

The second bike has a great paint job that reminds me of Colnago Mapei.. The handlebar set up is nice. And I love FIR Jumbo wheels. Try to find one for sale. Not so fond of the graphics on the rear disc wheel...has that later look I am not so crazy about. And what is up with the curved crank arm? Anyone know about these and if they are good? Looks weird to me. Over all it is a great bike though.
Thanks. These are partial results of my EGO madness (although the Pinarellos are keeping me wondering if they are really Columbus Ego, and not their Dedacciai/other twins), trying to find all the bikes made with the tubing in the hope to find at least one picture of my Rossin EGO 650/650. So far I had only a set of pictures of a red Rossin I have already posted here, but the wedge-shaped headtube mislead me, thinking, my bike had nothing to do with Rossin (until last week the only 650/650 Rossin I have seen was mine):

But as I have found a Rossin Performance tria for sale on eBay, my hope returned, and started to search again... if they had one, they had to have more.. this led me to the blue Rossin frame, which is not the nicest of the bunch, but the neon-green/yellow? sticker, and the deep blue paint made it more interesting for me. According to the seller super rare (for sure, there's 2 on the whole internet), and was used by the Hellenic Cycling Association's Teams, I'm considering to drop them an E-mail to ask if it is legit, and if they ever had the triathlon version as well.

It's interesting what 20+years outside does to the painting (hello DuPont System, Rossin was so proud of), its hard to believe, that mine was the same color once:

Looks like as short lived the tubeset was (I guess it was introduced purposefully for the lopros, just before UCI axed the whole thing) most manufacturers and quite a few builders jumped on the bandwagon at least for one special model. What is sure, that the wedged headtube was only used on lopros.
I remember that Colnago made one for one of the top teams or riders, but I don't find the picture of it, and I almost forgot about Somec's birthday special for their 25th. Anniversary.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-28-20, 07:38 AM
Lattz

While I take the ongoing virus situation seriously, I have a reason to believe, that those are exaggerating, who state, that the virus turned literally everything upside down.
Before it, I had a black Alan like the one in the back, and not a single one of the rest. Went to check if anything changed and NO. With or without pandemics, I don't think this will change in the near future (and not only because we need 2 brakes here in Germany)

Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-28-20, 07:42 AM
Lattz

Wanted to include a smaller version:

And this to include something new:

Lush.
This is a really nice looking one, and really rare as well. I'm not sure if this came from the factory like it is now, but that seat cluster tells me it is rarer than rare, plus it is Max so I have to love it.

Last edited by Lattz; 05-28-20 at 02:51 PM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-29-20, 09:28 AM
Lattz

Something new (at least for me). If anyone can tell me what do we look at, please do so. The overall look is not that bad, but in details somehow the whole thing does not add up, like someone took parts from different times, like the over-BB cable guides, while the top tube has internal cables. The monostay is a smart but not that elegant solution with the tube left open. But somehow overall I like it.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-29-20, 10:22 AM
Lattz

This bad boy is for sale in Greece for a "call for price"Unfortunately the seller knows exactly what it is. If the text is right, it is an ex- USSR Alexander "cinellihandlebarkiller" Kirichenko original unrestored piece.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-29-20, 10:23 AM
Lattz

These pictures are very rare for an extremely special machine. This bike has been shown here before but not these pictures above.

I would kill to have this bicycle....to call it a holy grail is almost ridiculous because the rarity and fantastic uniqueness of the piece puts it in another stratosphere. I just think it is incredibly cool. There is not much information out there on this thing. I am not sure if the thing was actually rideable. If anyone knows or has info on this bike or any other pictures then please post em here. I am thinking of contacting Modelo and asking since they are still around. This machine for me is one of the top top top machines of this era of the time trial world. I lay down a formal challenge for anyone to come up with any substantial info.
WOOOOW... didnt know it really existed beside that catalog pic....
this machine is so dramatic that it could have been an imperial prop im star wars without modifications.

Last edited by Lattz; 05-29-20 at 10:28 AM.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-29-20, 12:57 PM
Lattz

Nice enough bike but there are those awful handlebars that should be thrown into Mt. Doom.
Someone shared the opinion, too bad on a modest version of that frame.

Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-30-20, 08:26 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts

I actually like this. I admit it.
I dissent... Why the obsession with eliminating the seat tube? But my main objection is that an emergency stop on that machine would be extremely dangerous - in such a case, I'd prefer to fall to the side, no doubt!
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 05-31-20, 05:01 AM
Lattz

Originally Posted by Reynolds
I dissent... Why the obsession with eliminating the seat tube? But my main objection is that an emergency stop on that machine would be extremely dangerous - in such a case, I'd prefer to fall to the side, no doubt!
Do you think its any safer to emergency brake on any of the track frames shown here? Im a road biker so i got used to have brakes and freewheel.. while I adore these machines I know i might die with them in no time.
But maybe my lack of knowledge makes me not understanding why the Cherubim is any less safer than the others.
Likes For Lattz:
Old 05-31-20, 08:24 AM
Lattz

Okay now I got to add a picture:

Yeah I know...I know...but so beautiful I had to include it.
Motta frames are pretty cool but not a major lopro manufaturer. Its esay to bump into the one for sale atCicli Berlinetta through reposts from all over the world. But of course that is an iconic bike on its own No matter Motta or not.
Ive caught this in Poland while searching for something else.

Nice frame and cool wheels but would have been better to see as a built up bike

Last edited by Lattz; 05-31-20 at 08:29 AM.
Likes For Lattz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.