Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How many Head-Set Spacers are too many?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How many Head-Set Spacers are too many?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-20, 09:39 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76

Given the higher than normal positioning of the stem, it's "plausible" that the extra stack height was chosen to facilitate higher handlebars.
...here's an example from my own bicycle design efforts. I was trying to design a lightweight urban bicycle around a track frame I got on sale and an internally geared hub.
This is about two inches shorter in frame size than what I usually ride, because I wanted a smaller frame for handling and a shorter top tube to bring the bar that much closer to the saddle for an upright position.

But I was starting out with a fresh frame, a threadless headset, and an uncut fork...which is how the bike came to me. It helped that the fork came fully chromed. I did not use spacers, rather a repurposed seat post clamp in the appropriate size. I probably wouldn't do something like this with drops and a threaded headset, or a raw steel fork steerer.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-24-20, 09:42 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Another possibility is that the original owner of the Raleigh was dreaming of this but couldn't quite pull it off.........

Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-24-20, 09:46 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
When you are out of fingers and toes, probably too many.

Bikes that fit me in the legs are often not tall enough at the stem, so a longer fork steerer is needed just to fit. I completely understand the need for spacers +
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 07-24-20, 09:50 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...here's an example from my own bicycle design efforts. I was trying to design a lightweight urban bicycle around a track frame I got on sale and an internally geared hub.
This is about two inches shorter in frame size than what I usually ride, because I wanted a smaller frame for handling and a shorter top tube to bring the bar that much closer to the saddle for an upright position.
I've been looking for a frame to accomplish the same thing but have never thought about using a smaller frame size until now. This gives me more options.
Old 07-24-20, 09:58 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Good catch! Who builds bikes to have that sort of stack height? I don't have any like that! was there some fixture one was expected to use on a touring bike, like a tall brake hanger or decaleur? One question for the OP: is the steerer overthreaded enough that it could simply be cut down to a size that required 1/2" less spacer stack?
The important thing is that the expander bolt has to be completely below the beginning of the threaded portion of the fork.
Old 07-24-20, 10:40 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
The important thing is that the expander bolt has to be completely below the beginning of the threaded portion of the fork.
Well, that's a given -- one of the first precepts of building/using a bike; but if OP has a problem the stack of spacers (answer to thread title question is, I suppose, "not this many"), then as long as the max. insertion line is below the top of steerer tube (cut, or as-is), he's OK.
Old 07-24-20, 11:23 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Well, that's a given -- one of the first precepts of building/using a bike; but if OP has a problem the stack of spacers (answer to thread title question is, I suppose, "not this many"), then as long as the max. insertion line is below the top of steerer tube (cut, or as-is), he's OK.
At the risk of being Captain Obvious, every time we have one of these threads, I feel obligated to mention it. I have found that common sense isn't as common as many believe!

Insertion lines are good indicators when steerer threading limits are observed (disclaimer: I don't know what the maximum threads on a steerer should be). I have seen forks with way too many threads where the insertion line on the stem is giving you false confidence.
Old 07-24-20, 01:20 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
I just keep tightening the stem bolt until I hear that good crunching sound.
Old 07-24-20, 07:30 PM
palmerina

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OP here. Thanks guys for the input on the bike. I acquired it from a guy in St. Louis who was in fact an amateur who built it up for a family member who never rode it once. It sat for 25 years. He got it, if I recall correctly, directly from Michael’s. I wanna say he was a friend of theirs. Not sure if he was the one who put the spacers there or if it was the shop. The frame was a bit too big for me so I put that stem there to bring the handlebar closer to the saddle. I am a woman and find that I have to do unorthodox things with old bikes to get them to feel comfortable hahaha. So the fact that the taller stem is paired with this steering column is totally a coincidence but worked well because it is really comfortable for me to ride as is. I put the saddle, stem, and handlebar there; the rest is as it was when I acquired it.

Last edited by palmerina; 07-25-20 at 06:29 AM.
Likes For palmerina:
Old 07-24-20, 07:34 PM
palmerina

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Depends, I did this on purpose for better reach later on.

Can't imagine the Raleigh came that way.

That is.... wow.
Likes For palmerina:
Old 07-24-20, 09:27 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by palmerina
OP here. Thanks guys for the input on the bike. I acquired it from a guy in St. Louis who was in fact an amateur who built it up for a family member who never road it once. It sat for 25 years. He got it, if I recall correctly, directly from Michael’s. I wanna say he was a friend of theirs. Not sure if he was the one who put the spacers there or if it was the shop. The frame was a bit too big for me so I put that stem there to bring the handlebar closer to the saddle. I am a woman and find that I have to do unorthodox things with old bikes to get them to feel comfortable hahaha. So the fact that the taller stem is paired with this steering column is totally a coincidence but worked well because it is really comfortable for me to ride as is. I put the saddle, stem, and handlebar there; the rest is as it was when I acquired it.
Thanks for chiming in. The taller stem may have been a coincidence but you did most likely fix the mechanical issue some of us were concerned about. I think you're good, but when you have a chance, check that the stem's expander wedge is well below the weak threaded portion of the steering tube. That combo should work out for you well. Enjoy the bike.

Never mind us nerds bickering over technicalities that only matter to us...
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 07-24-20, 09:29 PM
branko_76 

At the risk of being Captain Obvious, every time we have one of these threads, I feel obligated to mention it. I have found that common sense isn't as common as many believe!

Insertion lines are good indicators when steerer threading limits are observed (disclaimer: I don't know what the maximum threads on a steerer should be). I have seen forks with way too many threads where the insertion line on the stem is giving you false confidence.
Who is lacking the common sense you are referring to?

My original post was..."The owner of this bike insists the fork is original, I'm not so sure".....

The title ...."How many Head-Set Spacers are too many?"...was not really the question, it was meant to grab your attention. I would think Captain Obvious would figure that one out...

Last edited by branko_76; 07-24-20 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-24-20, 09:47 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Who is lacking the common sense you are referring to?

My original post was..."The owner of this bike insists the fork is original, I'm not so sure".....

The title ...."How many Head-Set Spacers are too many?"...was not really the question, it was meant to grab your attention. I would think Captain Obvious would figure that one out...

Sounds like you took this personally! My reply was not to you, if you follow the quote. There's a thread inside a thread here, methinks.
Old 07-24-20, 09:54 PM
branko_76 

Sounds like you took this personally! My reply was not to you, if you follow the quote. There's a thread inside a thread here, methinks.
Personally and generally. Why phrase it (the "common sense" comment) that way?
Old 07-24-20, 09:59 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Personally and generally. Why phrase it (the "common sense" comment) that way?
Sorry, didn't intend it that way.
Old 07-24-20, 10:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
That is.... wow.
Tx!

See the link in post #10 if you want.
Old 07-24-20, 10:26 PM
branko_76 

Sorry, didn't intend it that way.
Old 07-25-20, 07:38 AM
branko_76 

OP here. Thanks guys for the input on the bike. I acquired it from a guy in St. Louis who was in fact an amateur who built it up for a family member who never rode it once. It sat for 25 years. He got it, if I recall correctly, directly from Michael’s. I wanna say he was a friend of theirs. Not sure if he was the one who put the spacers there or if it was the shop. The frame was a bit too big for me so I put that stem there to bring the handlebar closer to the saddle. I am a woman and find that I have to do unorthodox things with old bikes to get them to feel comfortable hahaha. So the fact that the taller stem is paired with this steering column is totally a coincidence but worked well because it is really comfortable for me to ride as is. I put the saddle, stem, and handlebar there; the rest is as it was when I acquired it.
Thanks for the update. Is there a mark on the stem indicating a minimum insertion point?

Also, as gugie stated, "The important thing is that the expander bolt has to be completely below the beginning of the threaded portion of the fork"

Is this the case?
Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-25-20, 09:14 AM
palmerina

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the update. Is there a mark on the stem indicating a minimum insertion point?

Also, as gugie stated, "The important thing is that the expander bolt has to be completely below the beginning of the threaded portion of the fork"

Is this the case?
Yes, there is one and the stem is installed well within its proper range. I’ll double check the position of the expander bolt; I think it’s OK because it’s a really long stem. Thank you!
Likes For palmerina:
Old 07-25-20, 09:15 AM
palmerina

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Thanks for chiming in. The taller stem may have been a coincidence but you did most likely fix the mechanical issue some of us were concerned about. I think you're good, but when you have a chance, check that the stem's expander wedge is well below the weak threaded portion of the steering tube. That combo should work out for you well. Enjoy the bike.

Never mind us nerds bickering over technicalities that only matter to us...
Thanks; I will check that. I appreciate all the feedback!
Old 07-25-20, 09:24 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I have purchased 1” bore spacers 5, 10, 15mm in height from the local bike shop.
would much prefer that over a stack of washers.
i use a 5mm spacer of a few bikes that I assembled from new- consider it future proofing.
Old 07-25-20, 10:16 AM
palmerina

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Would it be advisable to trim the fork? I mean I could do that if there was a real advantage. If it's just about aesthetics then I wouldn't bother.
Old 07-25-20, 11:02 AM
branko_76 

Would it be advisable to trim the fork? I mean I could do that if there was a real advantage. If it's just about aesthetics then I wouldn't bother.
The only reason to keep it as-is would be if it fits your anatomy and riding style. If someone were to use it for touring or commuting, higher handlebars would be a plus. If it were to be used for sport riding or racing, then lower handle bars would be more appropriate.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-25-20, 02:11 PM
palmerina

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The only reason to keep it as-is would be if it fits your anatomy and riding style. If someone were to use it for touring or commuting, higher handlebars would be a plus. If it were to be used for sport riding or racing, then lower handle bars would be more appropriate.
Well it *is* a touring bike, designed and marketed as such.
Old 07-25-20, 03:03 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
The short answer is 2.

There was no reason to stack spacers BITD with quill stems. It just was not done.
Someone set this Cadex up like this... Obviously the steering rube goes up to the top nut. IDK how far the threads go down. Either Cadex forks (pural of fork) came through long and needed cutting, which was not done in this case, or this is the wrong Casex fork.

Going to check threading soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.