Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rocky Mountain Equipe.. What to make of it?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-21-20, 04:07 PM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts

I picked up a Rocky Mountain Equipe bike for the frame.. It was relatively cheap and there is likely nothing original left other than the rear cantilever. The front fork/wheel is a drum that sort of works.. The rear wheel/gears appear to be 6 speed? It appears to have been frankenbiked into a commuter. Just posting the before picture.. It will be rebuilt into what it was when new.. A fun xc mtb.
Old 07-21-20, 06:04 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Not to be that guy but the fork looks a little tweaked back. I wonder if maybe the drum brake forces has something to do with it
Old 07-21-20, 07:20 PM
dunrobin

Bikes: colnago titanio oval master, pinarello treviso es, centurion prestige, tomac ti 26er, lemond buenos aires, mbk 753, vitus 992 and zx1, rocky mountain hammer disc,bd century titanium, specialized venge expert

You're right.. I didn't notice any bulges on the frame and if just the fork is garbage that's ok...
Old 07-22-20, 05:11 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Ah, another Rocky Mountain. I was lucky enough to get one also, a couple of years ago and mine was close to dead on original. Though the bike was nice enough to ride like this, in its "as found" state...

I much prefer road bikes so I did a bit of this and that and came up with a great gravel or rough road bike. Though I really liked the bike for my cottage road work, someone bought the bike from me as soon as I got home from the islands, this spring. Anyway, my now gone elsewhere Rocky Mountain "Cardiac)...
Old 07-22-20, 05:26 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2286 Post(s)
Liked 2,025 Times in 1,243 Posts
The fork' s not original, no canti braze-ons
Old 07-22-20, 12:18 PM
dunrobin

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Ah, another Rocky Mountain. I was lucky enough to get one also, a couple of years ago and mine was close to dead on original. Though the bike was nice enough to ride like this, in its "as found" state...

I much prefer road bikes so I did a bit of this and that and came up with a great gravel or rough road bike. Though I really liked the bike for my cottage road work, someone bought the bike from me as soon as I got home from the islands, this spring. Anyway, my now gone elsewhere Rocky Mountain "Cardiac)...
I like what you did with yours.. Maybe later, but for now I'm just going the mtb way. Found a replacement mtb fork in my stash so I think I'm good to go for a nice, but inexpensive rebuild.
Old 07-22-20, 01:05 PM
dunrobin

Fork fit without fuss.. Debadged and acetone.. Wax and polish next. I have some old sram 9 speed x0 stuff and some avid cantilevers/levers to fit. Crankset may stay.. It's smooth and the chainring are ok. Just to figure out bar and stem next.
Likes For dunrobin:
Old 07-22-20, 01:31 PM
Narhay

Looking good. Which part of the city are you in? We are a few blocks east of the beaches.
Old 07-22-20, 04:37 PM
dunrobin

In Etobicoke..closest I get to your part usually is the odd weekend I ride up to Ontario place. Covid has me working nights to take care of my kids during the day.
Old 07-25-20, 05:25 PM
dunrobin

Finished it up with sram x0 9 speed gripshifters/derailleur and avid vbrakes/levers. All parts were in the bin collected over time and inexpensive... Except the Dean titanium seatpost flite titanium saddle. It's a rock solid, quick and light build... I really like it but I might give it away or sell it.. Or I might sell my titanium Raleigh instead.
​​​​​The only original parts were the frame, headset, and seatpost clamp.

Last edited by dunrobin; 07-25-20 at 05:33 PM.
Likes For dunrobin:
Old 07-25-20, 06:49 PM
Narhay

That doesnt look like the same bike at all. Very cool vibe to it.
Old 07-26-20, 03:03 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Though I am much against repainting old or vintage bicycles, I must admit that the OP's bike turned out great. In fact, I like it better than the Caridac I converted. Good job!
Old 07-26-20, 01:21 PM
dunrobin

Thanks guys.. This frame was one of the easiest I've built up.. No mussing.. Everything just bolted on and adjusted easily.. I really like it as is.. Scrapes and all.. Which leads to a good dilema.
Old 07-26-20, 01:34 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 182 Posts
Is that an old Scott suspension fork?
Old 07-26-20, 02:34 PM
dunrobin

Originally Posted by beicster
Is that an old Scott suspension fork?
It is... But with age it's become rigid. At 1.1kg and a $5 garage sale purchase its up for this task...
Old 07-26-20, 02:39 PM
dunrobin

Aside from the frame everything was cheap/inexpensive.. Garage sale and cheap clearance items that seem to mesh well. Tires were under $20, syncros stem was 10..avid brakes and calipers were less than 20..x0 shifter/derailleur were 35ish..it still adds up but reasonable for an under 25lb old ritchey equipe.