Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

randyjawa Dump Finds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

randyjawa Dump Finds...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-20, 11:02 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I keep checking this...there is something compelling about grabbing stuff out of the trash and turning it around.

Plus the Canadiana angle to it just adds to the appeal.

Last edited by Narhay; 07-11-20 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-11-20, 11:41 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Those big pedals look a lot like Shimano Adamas pedals and they are super comfortable even with soft sole shoes. If shipping wasn't so costly I ask to have them retrieved.

I wish I could look over the bicycle stuff in our city dump but we're not allowed to. The stuff goes down a concrete chute into a concrete pit and they don't want any none employees in there due to liability concerns.

Cheers
Old 07-11-20, 12:29 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Those big pedals look a lot like Shimano Adamas pedals and they are super comfortable even with soft sole shoes.
That is exactly what they are. In days gone bye, I would have snapped them up and tucked them away. I just might do that anyway. I have no use for the pedals as I am an SPD guy but they don't take up much storage room.
Old 07-17-20, 05:14 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

I went back to the Shuniah dump on Wednesday, July 1r but the pile had been pushed. Pushed means a bulldozer comes up to the pile and pushes the spread out discarded stuff into a higher pile. The pedals were gone. Sorry and should have grabbed them when I had the chance. Stupid me!

Not too much else at any of the four dumps that I visited last weekend, however, in about two hours I will be handing over the cash for this full Campy Marinoni Pump, soon to be offered in the For Sale forum, and then on to Ebay if no takers in the FS forum...

Also, only one person guess at what came from the dump in this picture. He won a Sekine spoke protector. Anyway, the item, in the picture, that came from the dump is...

The floor...
Old 07-17-20, 05:54 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I love your dump find stories, Randy! They remind me of my own story.

Back in the late 1970's, I was a young buck sergeant in the USAF, stationed in Florida. With one beloved child to care for, and another on the way, I was poor. Seriously poor and too proud to ask for help, I worked at a Schwinn LBS during the day, and wrenched aircraft at night. My income was pathetic.

One of the things I did was to dumpster dive after work at night. My base was one of the "jumping off" points, where military people left for overseas assignments. Because military weight restrictions prevented people from taking all of their belongings, they either had to store things and pay for it, or sell or toss it. Well, I tell you the dumpsters were loaded all the time. I found some pretty amazing items to clean up, repair and sell at the flea market every Sunday, and that helped a lot. We'd sell our goods at the flea market and go buy groceries on the way home, and were safe for another week.

Viewing your dump finds makes me nostalgic about "the hunt" and the excitement of finding something great!
Old 07-18-20, 11:13 AM
randyjawa 

Well, it is Sarurday, July 18 and I decided against going to the city to seek yard sale opportunities. Also, since this came home with me, yesterday, wanting to find something cool today seems silly. I can wait until tomorrow. Anyway, the Marinoni, which I bought yesterday, was listed as a 52cm (meaning a good bike to flip), however; once I got the bike home and measured it up, the darn thing is my size at 55cm (c-c),,,

But, as mentioned, today is dump day also and I did go to the dump, two of them in fact. The first dump stop offered these bikes up for grabs, but I grabbed nothing...

The full suspension Kona mountain bike is in good shape, cosmetically at least and so too is the Mountain Tour. I will email a friend soon regarding what is being offered at the dumps today. My guess is that he will go for the Kona...

Then I went to dump number two (on Sundays I have access to four dumps) and my heart stopped, for just a moment, when is early Miyata presented itself, buried slightly under a 24" wheel Velosport mountain bike...

I gave some thought to grabbing the Miyata head badge but decided to wait. If it is still there tomorrow, I will think about it some more and, perhaps, act. The ultra rare brake caliper, sporting a more than respectable patina, stays, no matter what...

Not all the long ago, the Miyata and I would become fast friends, in no time. But today, there are two Peugeots, one NIshiki and an old Raleigh, that I really like, balancing on the edge of returning to the land fill site. I just hate to do it. Anyway, tomorrow is four dump day - yahoo!

But right now, time to test ride my newest acquisition, the Piuma (what the heck is a Piuma, anyway..?
Old 07-18-20, 11:24 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Piuma=Pluma=Feather
Old 07-18-20, 05:00 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Don’t ya just hate it when they turn out to be a perfect fit!? Good lookin’ M!
Old 07-19-20, 09:01 AM
randyjawa 

Don’t ya just hate it when they turn out to be a perfect fit!?
Well, I have decided that, in this case, I can live with it. Since yesterday, I altered saddle tilt and fore/aft position (not tested yet) and changed some of the fork spacers, raising the handlebar about a half inch, or so. Looking forward to trying it out after chores.

I have already been to the dump this morning (had to slow down as a lynx or bobcat ran across the road right in front of me and I was going slow - so cool!0, primarily to dispose of a bunch of scrap metal. There was nothing there worth photographing but all of the bikes that were there, and of little interest to me, were harvested for parts. Pretty sure that I know who was doing the harvesting but no biggie to me. I was the one who let him know about the bikes, to begin with. In turn...

He called me up later to inform me that he had found a great old Ten Speed for me - a gold Miyata. Good grief, looks like I got the MIyata anyway...

And, gotta go to the dump again this afternoon to toss some bike stuff. I do hate doing it but the bikes are beginning to spill into my yard and I really don't like that. Two, possible three, are gone before the evening meal. And, of course to offset that n-2(or3) scenario, it will be N+1 when the Miyata shows up.

Anyway, gotta clean up the wood lot, now that the birch is stacked, then a bit of organizing in the back, followed by a bike ride (hmm, Legnano or Marinoni) and perhaps, if the wind dies down, a nice canoe ride towards evening. Self isolation can be, sort of, OK at times. And, of course, Netflix or YouTube as the day fades to what comes next.

Last edited by randyjawa; 07-19-20 at 09:08 AM.
Likes For randyjawa:
Old 07-23-20, 02:28 AM
randyjawa 

July 6, 2020 - On Wednesdays only two of the four dumps, that I frequent, are open and only in the afternoon. Anyway, nothing worth mentioning at dump one but dump two produced these old bikes, both CCMs but re-badged as "Super Cycle", a Canadian Tire (department store) brand name. Closer inspection, on my part, reveals that the step through is an Eaton's offering, a Road King I think...

The funny thing is that both of these bicycles were observed, by me the previous Saturday. On that day, they were for sale at a local yard sale. The location, however, was swarming with people, few wearing masks, so, even though I could see half a dozen old bikes, I did not stay or even go in for a closer look. Anyway, I left them where they are...

I did find something kind of interesting, but not sure what to do with it. A hand made or really professionally made vice/clamp thingie that appears to be useful for something...
Old 07-23-20, 04:13 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
July 6, 2020 - On Wednesdays.....

I did find something kind of interesting, but not sure what to do with it. A hand made or really professionally made vice/clamp thingie that appears to be useful for something...
Sure looks like a woodworkers vice - normally mounted on the corner of a bench, to the underside of the top. Good for holding large planks and pieces for hand tool work. But the jaw faces are normally hardwood (ex good Canadian maple) to protect the fine wood being worked on. I've not seen steel jaws but maybe the intent was to screw wood to the steel jaw faces. Ok but reduces the maximum width. This could be useful as a third hand on your bench.

I have a 4" blacksmiths vice on my bench that makes a great third hand.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 07-23-20, 05:40 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I'm wondering how many stacks of these you see at the dump.

For the unawares - the highway to and from Thunder Bay is plastered with these billboards advertising a local author's alien series. The reviews are mixed.
Old 07-23-20, 06:07 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
https://www.popularwoodworking.com/a...er-blog/vises/
Old 07-23-20, 06:11 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
I'm wondering how many stacks of these you see at the dump.

For the unawares - the highway to and from Thunder Bay is plastered with these billboards advertising a local author's alien series. The reviews are mixed.
In Thunder Bay they look like this.

Old 07-23-20, 07:23 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
.... But the jaw faces are normally hardwood (ex good Canadian maple) to protect the fine wood being worked on. I've not seen steel jaws but maybe the intent was to screw wood to the steel jaw faces.
Brain fart. I searched a bit and, as shown in the linked article, I was reminded that steel jaws with wood facings are not uncommon. Nice vice Randy.
Old 07-26-20, 12:00 PM
randyjawa 

Ah, yes. I have seen the signs, one of which, as I head east from the city, is tipped over and has been since I got back from Jamaica. Never knew what they were all about - thought it had something to do with minnows for sale.
Old 07-26-20, 05:14 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I LOVE this thread!!!!

As many do

Randy...thank YOU for saving as many bikes and other " treasures" others have thrown away.
It make me shake my head with this disposable society we live in.

I wish I had an 18 wheeler and could drive...or rent one and pick up all these bikes !!!

I am here in Boston and there are no local dumps. There is an exchange place in the next town where people can drop off items still usable and take items.

As others have said.....a HUGE majority of people ( adults and kids) would LOVE to have one or any of these bikes.

Yes...most need fixing up but at minimal costs.

Anyway...I THANK YOU for sharing all the stories.

God Bless

Stay/Be safe

And keep the stories and pics coming !!!!!!

Thank you again !!!
Old 07-27-20, 12:28 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'm really enjoying my Brooks Competition leather saddle Randy sold me. Truly a case of one man's garbage being another man's treasure.

Cheers
Old 07-27-20, 08:02 AM
randyjawa 

I wish I had an 18 wheeler and could drive...or rent one and pick up all these bikes !!!
Yes, though not dump found, it was my job to supervise the unloading of this, on behalf of Bicycles for Humanity. A few of these loads showed up, over the years. What great fun I had, wandering around with my hands in my pocket, seeing what came off of the flat bed...
Old 07-27-20, 08:36 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Holey Moley !!!!!

There MUST have been some good bikes out of all of these **********?

Or at the very least some parts !!!

Where did they all come from ?

Are these to be saved**********?

Or to the crusher
Old 07-28-20, 05:31 AM
TheRodeWarrior

Bikes: CCM of all sorts, Kona AfricaBike, Kuwahara Apollo Mount Shasta, Peugeot Hurricane Creek, Barracuda A2B, Raleighs of all sorts mainly 3 speeds, Norco Kokanee. Rocky Mountain. Mongoose Maneuver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Randy,
If you happen to come across any 28 inch coaster bikes I could use some wheels if the bikes aren't nice vintage CCM. Was out by your house on Sunday to show my wife the lake. Beautiful as always. Missed your house as the bike was nearly overgrown, LOL.
Old 07-28-20, 06:03 PM
randyjawa 

If you happen to come across any 28 inch coaster bikes I could use some wheels if the bikes aren't nice vintage CCM.
I was probably out on my n/old Marinoni, when you dropped by.

I do know where there is a near mint set and just a wee ways down the road from my cottage. I will look into getting the whole bike for you. The yellow bike, by my wife's garden, is yours, if you want it. It has the wheel set but not sure if there is anything left under the paint. Coming to the city, tomorrow morning, will give you a shout...
Old 07-30-20, 02:49 PM
randyjawa 

The flow of bicycles is close to over for this Spring. Each summer, usually just after the kids get out of school, bicycle disposal drops off at most of the dumps that I frequent. I do, none the less, keep checking every Wednesday afternoon (two dumps) and every weekend (four dumps).

A few low end bikes showed up, last weekend and, stupid me, lost the pictures. Happens lots in my world of cyber error. Anyway, I did find a thing or two, starting with a now badly bent old Peugeot...

This copper craft "Last Supper" will find a spot in my man cave...

The hand carved eagle has already landed in one of my wife's gardens...

The hydraulic jack needs oil but seems to be working just fine. The scissors are darn near new and sharp. My wife snapped them up as soon as I brought them home...
Old 08-06-20, 03:03 PM
randyjawa 

Well, I am now two complete years past my biblical expiry date (three score and ten). Today is Aug 6th, 2020. and, though bike discards have slowed, the odd thing still shows up.

I had no interest, what-so-ever in the near mint Free Spirit mixte. The steel wheel rims, those with the patterned braking surface, were the best that I have ever seen. If they are still there, room to store or no room, I will grab them on Saturday morning...

Time to start getting my first great grand son into bikes. This Fisher-Price gem came from the dump and, though he has not figured it out, just yet, he loves the bike...

Last edited by randyjawa; 08-06-20 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-06-20, 04:15 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Start em’ young Randy before they fall victim to the video game addiction!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.