Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear derailleurs - Acera vs Altus, really any difference?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-02-20, 08:49 AM
lennie_briscoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi there hive mind,

Let's talk rear derailleurs. Specifically Shimano rear derailleurs. Even more specifically, Acera and Atlus rear derailleurs. I'm pretty sure this post has been made a million times before so apologies if I'm singing a very old song here, but that also means there's hopefully a lot of experience / opinion incoming.

I need to replace the Shimano Tourney derailleur that came stock on my bike and I've been nudged in the direction of the Acera and Atlus. Now I know they're both entry tier models, and they're pitched at the same level so my question is really, is there any difference?

I'm sure the bike is a factor so I'll tell you that it's for an Electra 7D Lux cruiser (seven speed as I'm sure you gleamed from the name). I'll be riding mostly urban /city streets so my main concerns are that it be smooth, quiet and durable. I don't know much about drive trains, groupsets etc but I'm aware different derailleurs can work better with different cassettes/bikes and what not so thought I'd see what people thought.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to drop some knowledge on this.

Last edited by lennie_briscoe; 08-02-20 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 08-02-20, 09:32 AM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Acera and Atlus rear derailleurs are a step up from Tourney in construction and longevity. They both perform the same mechanical function. If it's urban riding either they will do nicely. Like all components, keep them serviced and treat them well and they will last (the same can be said for the entire drive chain). For anything other than city cycling then I would look further up the range, Alivio or Deore (Tekking range) if cost is a consideration. I've used Acera and Atlus on 6 to 9 speed setups on commute bikes and the grandkids bikes. Out of personal preference I would use the Acera. Just because something costs more dosen't necessarily mean it will last longer. Neglect kills components...A well maintained gear system of perrty much any quality can run smooth and quiet
Likes For Bob the Mech:
Old 08-02-20, 09:57 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts
For the riding you are describing, either will do just fine.
Old 08-02-20, 10:48 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Simple chart showing Shimano MTB component heirarchy

Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 08-02-20, 11:05 AM
lennie_briscoe

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
For the riding you are describing, either will do just fine.
So you wouldn't think someone crazy for picking the Altus over the Acera because it's all black and they have an all black bike.....?
Likes For lennie_briscoe:
Old 08-02-20, 08:40 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by lennie_briscoe
So you wouldn't think someone crazy for picking the Altus over the Acera because it's all black and they have an all black bike.....?
No, crazy would be selecting a component you know won't work but you install it anyway because it is the color you prefer.
Old 08-03-20, 02:00 AM
lennie_briscoe

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Went for the Acera.
Likes For lennie_briscoe:
Old 08-03-20, 04:31 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
What's interesting, the 9sp Shadow design Altus (RD-M2000) costs more than the respective Acera (RD-M3000) on most sites. And from the looks of it, the new Alivio RD-M3100, besides small differences in the outer paralelogram plate design seems to be the exact same as Altus RD-M2000. Perhaps Shimano have decided there's no point to three different entry level product groups, and are looking to merge all three A-groups between Tourney and Deore into one?