Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

NYC: How long to dry Old Putnam / Van Cortlandt Park after rain?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

NYC: How long to dry Old Putnam / Van Cortlandt Park after rain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 08:43 PM
edman610

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp Disc Ultegra, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Specialized Fat Boy, trek Superfly FS9, Cannondale R400, Specialized StumpJumper

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this trail paved from up near Trump national down to the north end of Van Cortland park? Passable during winter months?
Old 03-20-18, 09:26 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by edman610
Is this trail paved from up near Trump national down to the north end of Van Cortland park? Passable during winter months?
Hmmn, depends on what you mean by “passable”. After tonight’s / tomorrow’s snow, you might want to reprise

Bronx ski traverse -- Roberts

NB: the pix are from January 2004.

If your mode of travel is similar to what’s pictured, later this week the trail will be in excellent condition.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for a link to an index of more archived pix from this time frame along this route. Many of the pix give you an idea what the Putnam ROW was like before the current trail was built.

More narrowly / specifically addressing your question, in my experience, accumulated snow isn’t cleared from the South or North County Trails. I’ll offer an additional caution from experience: icy patches lurk in the shade many days after the sun has melted most of the snow.
Old 03-21-18, 02:19 PM
edman610

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp Disc Ultegra, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Specialized Fat Boy, trek Superfly FS9, Cannondale R400, Specialized StumpJumper

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Arbee! I think this one can wait until spring - real spring!
Old 03-21-18, 04:46 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Will we ever have spring? We had one day in February at 78, but that might be our only day.
Old 03-25-18, 07:11 AM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Today will hit mid 40's later in the day, cleaning my bike and hoping to do 15-20 on the SCT later.
Old 04-11-18, 07:56 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Anyone tried the Old Put recently?

Thinking of giving VCP<>Elmsford a try Saturday when it's supposed to be warm, though would hate to trek up there and find it impassable.
Old 04-14-18, 07:27 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Anyone tried the Old Put recently?

Thinking of giving VCP<>Elmsford a try Saturday when it's supposed to be warm, though would hate to trek up there and find it impassable.
Rode it last Sunday, a little muddy in spots but relatively firm on my road bike with 23cm tires.
Old 04-14-18, 07:31 PM
UniChris

I think the Old Put was actually the best I've ever seen it today - completely dry.

Seems to have come through the winter well - the flat parts are very flat and packed, that gravel they put down recently is more compacted now.

Alas it's supposed to rain tomorrow. Surprised the South County trail wasn't busier on this rare, nice warm day (already getting cold again). The Elmsford connector turned out quite nice - ended up going a bit further and taking the branch over to Tarrytown lakes since I hadn't done that before.
Old 04-14-18, 07:43 PM
UniChris

Also just heard that Metro North is not running to Brewster for the rest of April.
Old 04-15-18, 06:28 AM
dendawg

I think the Old Put was actually the best I've ever seen it today - completely dry.

Seems to have come through the winter well - the flat parts are very flat and packed, that gravel they put down recently is more compacted now.

Alas it's supposed to rain tomorrow. Surprised the South County trail wasn't busier on this rare, nice warm day (already getting cold again). The Elmsford connector turned out quite nice - ended up going a bit further and taking the branch over to Tarrytown lakes since I hadn't done that before.
It was quite busy on the North County. We drove the bikes to Millwood where we found the small parking lot nearly full and quite a few people enjoying the spring day.
Old 04-15-18, 07:12 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Good to hear it's in good shape. I went down the Hudson River Green-way to the city yesterday and it was packed with people.

- ended up going a bit further and taking the branch over to Tarrytown lakes since I hadn't done that before.
How is that? have to try it!

Last edited by Jarrettsin; 04-15-18 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-15-18, 10:28 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
How is that? have to try it!
From the NCT the Tarrytown Lakes path starts with a short steep up and down and then has about 100 yards of sidewalk before crossing Neperan road. After that it's your typical town recreation path along the water - nice, scenic - probably more the domain of walkers and families with little kids on rollerblades than determined cycling, but certainly something one can do with a relaxed approach. Maybe a little more of a "destination" turnaround than just picking some random point on the NCT.

2nd hand comments and maps seem to indicate it's another mile on roads uphill through town to the Metro North station... so it's there as a bailout option, but not a great one.
Old 04-15-18, 06:20 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thank you for the response, I'll check it out.
Old 04-16-18, 05:54 AM
dendawg

From the NCT the Tarrytown Lakes path starts with a short steep up and down and then has about 100 yards of sidewalk before crossing Neperan road. After that it's your typical town recreation path along the water - nice, scenic - probably more the domain of walkers and families with little kids on rollerblades than determined cycling, but certainly something one can do with a relaxed approach. Maybe a little more of a "destination" turnaround than just picking some random point on the NCT.

2nd hand comments and maps seem to indicate it's another mile on roads uphill through town to the Metro North station... so it's there as a bailout option, but not a great one.
Actually it's a pretty steep downhill on Neperan into town, then it's a gradual downhill if not flat to the station.
Old 04-19-18, 03:58 AM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thank guys I checked it out and it does make a good destination turn around. I rode to the end of the lake and then went back.

Yes looking at the map if you choose to come out that end and head into town you can take Rt. 9 down. I done that where I ride up through Van Cortlandt Park pick up the SCT up to Elmsford then take Rt 119 across then down Rt 9 switching at Hasting on Hudson to Warburton Ave. which turns into Riverdale Ave which takes me home.

Right Where you would turn from Rt 119 to Rt 9 your a couple hundred yards south of where I think the bike path entrance to the New bridge should be. Which will open opportunities.
Old 04-22-18, 06:27 PM
UniChris

Old Put seems to have dried decently from last week's rain - would have made it through both ways without dismounting, except that there's a tree down just north of the highway underpass. Marked with a cone so apparently parks knows about it - southbound it would be a real surprise as its in the middle of a blind little twist. Not too bad to climb over.

Also another one that fell but got hung up over the path - that in a way is more worrisome.

Nice day for a ride - but sure got cold quickly this evening so glad I only did Elmsford and back. Even my idea of bringing a dry T-shirt to replace wet lycra and a windbreaker for the train back from VCP was barely enough. Need to think about that more before I aim for Brewster again.

Last edited by UniChris; 04-22-18 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 04:35 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Anyone know the condition of the trail? Trying to decide to cut through there or go through McLean to get on the SCT
Old 06-06-18, 04:48 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
Anyone know the condition of the trail? Trying to decide to cut through there or go through McLean to get on the SCT
Did it on Sunday and there were 2-3 mud puddles I chose to dismount for but was able to get around without getting my shoes too muddy. Set of folks rode through one while I was doing that. Don't think it's rained meaningfully since, so probably a little better now.

First time I'd done it on a relatively slick tire rather than a huge knobby one; was pleased there was only one spot where that altered my ride vs. walk decision.
Old 06-06-18, 05:00 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks I think I'll try it
Old 06-07-18, 03:40 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah there was definitely still some ruff spots but made it through. Went all the way to the top and took the train home from Brewster.
With the ride home from the train station a 57 mile day
Old 06-07-18, 10:51 PM
UniChris

Nice! Hoping the weather will hold so I can get back up there early next week.

Is there still a big mud puddle across the trail in Millwood just north of the road gap? Last time that one annoyed me more than Van Cortlandt.

Also looks like maybe they're done with the weekend upper harlem shuttle buses now - for a while there a train return from Brewster needed to be either a weekday, or late in the evening.
Old 06-08-18, 01:50 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 981 Posts
I've been itching to get on the trail up from VCP. I might give it a run tomorrow. Wife and I took the train up to Katonah and rolled down to Tarrytown a few weeks ago, had a great ride.

Old 06-08-18, 01:58 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by ascherer
I've been itching to get on the trail up from VCP. I might give it a run tomorrow. Wife and I took the train up to Katonah and rolled down to Tarrytown a few weeks ago, had a great ride.
Hope you enjoy it! 242nd on the 1 is closest, but I've also done Mosholu on the 4 (down a big hill, so less fun to come out that way) and MNR Botanical Garden which adds a little through the Bronx (get on the north side path before the overpass crossing the tracks) then goes in past Mosholu.

After VCP there's a gentle climb on new pavement through Yonkers, then you get the older slightly bumpier section comparable to the NCT. Pulling in at Woodland's lake can be nice. Once you hit the new connector at Elmsford you're not far from where you would have left the path for Tarrytown.
Old 06-08-18, 02:22 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 981 Posts
Hope you enjoy it! 242nd on the 1 is closest, but I've also done Mosholu on the 4 (down a big hill, so less fun to come out that way) and MNR Botanical Garden which adds a little through the Bronx (get on the north side path before the overpass crossing the tracks) then goes in past Mosholu.

After VCP there's a gentle climb on new pavement through Yonkers, then you get the older slightly bumpier section comparable to the NCT. Pulling in at Woodland's lake can be nice. Once you hit the new connector at Elmsford you're not far from where you would have left the path for Tarrytown.
I'll be riding from Manhattan up to VCP, it's about 9 miles to the trail from where I live. I went there during the January thaw.

Old 06-08-18, 04:03 PM
Jarrettsin

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The puddle in Millwood was still there but you can get around it now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.