Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Watching Pro Cycling in the US

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-23-20, 04:03 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts

Hey All,
Unfortunately I'm sick this week (drop in multiple 4 and 5 year old birthday parties, a wife that's a 1st grade teacher, and me working in the travel business... and being sick for the second time in 2020 is an unfortunate reality).
Anyway, I've been reading and watching info about pro cycling. I watched the Tour Down Under and the Vuelta de San Juan and enjoyed them.
I'm wondering what is the best way to watch pro cycling in the US? The Tour Down Under was on TV for me, but the Vuelta de San Juan was on GCN on YouTube and the UAE Tour this weekend seems like it's on FloBikes. Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you watch and if so, how?
Thanks!
Old 02-23-20, 04:27 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I have flo bikes and a VPN. Not all the races on Flo bikes can be seen in the US, but many times, they allow viewers from other countries access. I also have found some over seas networks that have racing on their public channels. I have been watching a lot track racing that isn’t available here because of my vpn
Likes For colnago62:
Old 02-23-20, 04:30 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Website steephill.tv is your friend. I watched UAE live this morning for free. Yes it was in Arabic, but that’s ok.

Check site now and thank me later.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-23-20, 08:22 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
I subscribe to NBC Sports Gold, it's about $50 a year. 90% of the reason I do this is to watch Paris-Roubaix live, commercial-free. They have almost all the spring classics. They have the Tour Down Under going on right now, All sorts of UCI World Cup cyclocross racing that happened in the last couple of months. All of the world championships, in all disciplines. And of course, TdF and Vuelta. I really like having that on the plan as well, as I never watch it televised anymore. Before each stage I can look at the race profile and decide at what point to watch the race and go right to it. You can watch either the Phil Ligett version w/ ads or another version without commericials. I think Robbie McEwen is one of those announcers for a lot of them, and I think Sean Kelly still does some.

For some reason they don't get anything Italian, so no Giro, Strade Biache or Milan-San Remo. And they will auto-renew your subscription each year. But I find that I easily get my money's worth. All events can be watched live or on replay.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 02-23-20, 08:28 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
I subscribe to NBC Sports Gold, it's about $50 a year. 90% of the reason I do this is to watch Paris-Roubaix live, commercial-free. They have almost all the spring classics. They have the Tour Down Under going on right now, All sorts of UCI World Cup cyclocross racing that happened in the last couple of months. All of the world championships, in all disciplines. And of course, TdF and Vuelta. I really like having that on the plan as well, as I never watch it televised anymore. Before each stage I can look at the race profile and decide at what point to watch the race and go right to it. You can watch either the Phil Ligett version w/ ads or another version without commericials. I think Robbie McEwen is one of those announcers for a lot of them, and I think Sean Kelly still does some.

For some reason they don't get anything Italian, so no Giro, Strade Biache or Milan-San Remo. And they will auto-renew your subscription each year. But I find that I easily get my money's worth. All events can be watched live or on replay.

IMPORTANT NOTE.

Subscriptions only start/end at the end of May, they now pro-rate. So it is $20USD for 4 months of cycling that doesn't include the single biggest race happening within that 4 months.

The best way is to VPN into EU and watch, and not give turd US companies a dime. I quit giving Gold any money a few years ago as their client crashed/didn't work most of the time. They spend more time piddling around not covering the racing with snippets/history-committees-in-studio/VIPs no one wants or asked for. We're in the last 20KM to go! Here's what happened 35 years ago at this same finish, because you honestly don't care and want to watch the actual race going on right now!

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 02-23-20 at 08:32 PM.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 02-23-20, 09:18 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
If you can stream on your TV YouTube is good. The CBS Sports carried shows get blocked for a week or two. For me my cable provider had a YouTube app. I just push the mic and say cycling on YouTube. We also have a fire stick thing. It will stream YouTube but I’d have to log into my YouTube account without keyboard.

GCN carries a few races.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 02-23-20, 11:19 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I subscribe to Flobikes.com. Also I keep an eye on YouTube. GCN Racing airs some races live and recaps many races on YouTube and Facebook. In the past I subscribed to EuroSport and used a VPN to the UK. Fubo.TV just announced you can subscribe to just the cycling channel for $120/year.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 02-24-20, 11:40 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4345 Post(s)
Liked 2,993 Times in 1,849 Posts
(MODS: suggest moving this to the Professional Racing for the Fans subforum?)

I get by with the clips on GCN and that are linked on steephill. I seldom want to watch a large portion of a race and when I do, there are sometimes some gems on Youtube. But I think if you want large number of up to date feeds, then Flobikes or one of the other paid subscription services is needed.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 02-24-20, 11:58 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
The Olympic channel has had cyclocross world championships and track world cup over the last few weeks. I've got YouTube TV and have it record anything UCI related.
Old 03-10-20, 12:35 PM
Morg33

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Hi, I always use a VPN to watch such things, that are blocked in the US. Also I have always been using them because of my work, and I have been trying a lot of them. But the best one I am using now is https://veepn.com/vpn-apps/vpn-for-windows/ , it is the safest and has nice speed (some of them would just shut down my internet connection from time to time)! Also helps me to stay safe with my privacy, which nowadays is a problem! Hope this will help you in the future