Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy EPS V1 to V3 upgrade

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20, 10:13 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts

I'm currently running a Campagnolo Record 11 speed EPS group set on a BMC TeamMachine SLR01. The whole set up is about 6 years old. I'd like to upgrade to an EPS V3 system to get the battery out of sight in the seat tube and to take advantage of some of the new capabilities in the V3 "brains". The question is can I use my V1 shifter/brake levers and derailleurs with the V3 battery and interface unit. If so, then I think all I need to buy is the V3 battery/power unit, the V3 interface kit, a V3 charger and cable, and the in the seat post V3 cable kit. I'm thinking the Campy V3 internal installation tool, the cable guide magnet kit and the cable "cutting" kit would make the job easier.

Am I on the right track here or will I need to replace the brake/shifter levers and derailleurs too? Assuming my V1 stuff will work, is there anything else I'll need to complete this upgrade? Thanks!
Old 03-21-20, 12:14 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I think you'll find that the end connections on the wires are not compatible, between the different versions. There are folks on the weight weenies forum who have done various conversions.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...rsion#p1314908
Old 03-21-20, 02:04 PM
bmcer

[I know the Chorus/Athena wire end connectors are not compatible with the Record/Super Record connectors. But I think the Record/Super Record connectors are across V1, V2, and V3. At least the discussion here https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...c.php?t=148342 would imply that they are. Meantime, I've got the "Gear Heads" at Competitve Cycling checking into it as well.

It comes down to this. If I can get by with replacing the battery and interface and use the water bottle internal mount, the whole works can be had for > $900. That's doable thanks to my tax refund this year. If I have to replace the brake/shifter levers and the derailleurs, it'll come to northwards of $1600, and that's just not in the cards.

QUOTE=DaveSSS;21377119]I think you'll find that the end connections on the wires are not compatible, between the different versions. There are folks on the weight weenies forum who have done various conversions.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...rsion#p1314908[/QUOTE]
Old 03-21-20, 02:28 PM
bmcer

Hang on... I think I found my answer here https://fitwerx.com/campagnolo-eps-v...es-and-updates under the "Upgrade Campagnolo EPS V1 or V2 to Campagnolo EPS V3" heading where is says;
"The new Campagnolo EPS Power Unit and cockpit interface are compatible with previous generation Record and Super Record shifters and derailleurs. Thank you Campagnolo! Owners of bikes with Campagnolo EPS V1 and V2 will be able to upgrade, getting the new features, by replacement of these parts. This is not quite as easy as it sounds, particularly the Power Unit, and will require at least partial disassembly of the bike in order to run cables from the new EPS power pack to the various components. While it is better for most people to leave this upgrade to a shop familiar with the Campagnolo EPS system, it is great that Campagnolo allows for such upgrades."
So it looks like I'm in business
Old 03-21-20, 02:35 PM
bmcer

Another reference, this time from Lennard Zin himself. in the article here

https://www.velonews.com/2016/05/gea...estions_404438

he says essentially the same thing.
Old 03-22-20, 10:41 AM
bmcer

Just got a reply from Zack @ Competitive Cyclist. He also confirms that the V1 levers and derailleurs will work fine with the V3 battery and V3 interface. So I've ordered the parts and tools to make the upgrade easier. Looking forward to getting the clunky V1 battery pack off my down tube and the new features embedded in the V3 firmware, particularly the ability to share gearing info with my Edge 530.
Old 08-03-20, 12:48 PM
airb

Bikes: Focus Izalco, Colner Strada

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
same issue here

hi bmcer!
please send some feedback, did you manage the upgrade?
how does it work?
thank you.
Old 08-04-20, 01:27 PM
bmcer

Hey airB. Yes, I did indeed upgrade my Record EPS V1 to V3 successfully. I needed to buy the V3 battery kit, the interface kit and the charger. The whole deal came to something like $700. Getting all the cables threaded through the frame was the usual PITA, but I just took it slow and got through it without too much hair pulling. The additional tools from Campy did help.

I'm very please with the upgrade and the additional features it brings to the table. My only complaint is the lack of a 30 or 32 tooth cassette option from Campy.
Old 08-04-20, 03:35 PM
airb

Bikes: Focus Izalco, Colner Strada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi bmcer,
thanks for the feedback, great news.

Yes, the EPS is built with the racer mindset, but I heard there is a 48/32 crankset version 12s chorus, not sure it works with 11 speed system.
Here is the thread about it (sorry, i can't post url as newbie) bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/1189223-lower-gearing-campy-chorus-11s.html
Another nice investment.
Old 08-28-20, 08:45 PM
caveboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Athena EPS, what i would like to know is can I use V3 power unit with this system ?