Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

This whole N+1 sickness

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

This whole N+1 sickness

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-20, 05:38 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Update to my own thread.....

Since starting this I did find a nice Orbea Orca but what痴 even better is the gf lusted after an Orca of her own and then turned right around and snagged a Ridley Noah in beautiful shape. We are now at 5 each and riding around 80 miles a week between gravel and paved.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 04-29-20, 08:11 PM
SpindriftEd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I lost track.

Actually not mine, it's a bike shop in Dunedin Florida.
Likes For SpindriftEd:
Old 05-01-20, 10:16 PM
kissycat2002
Kathryn

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
......does 122 bikes count? My husband is a collector and fixer of bikes. That was the most he had. Just recently, he sold a bunch to put us down to under 100. That's counting our bikes, old bikes, BMX bikes, part frames..... We have 3 sheds full. They are put up nicely so the kids won't mess with them.
Old 05-02-20, 07:10 PM
ridinginjeans

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Concorde PRX, Scott Scale 29er, Santa Cruz Tall Boy, Blue Norcross EX

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I agree that you must ride each. Otherwise, it may be time to unload it for someone else to enjoy. I had six, sold one recently do down to five. So now I have two MTB (one hardtail, one full suspension), an Italian steel road bike (bought the frame for a song on ebay and built it up), a carbon road bike , and a carbon 'cross bike. The steel bike is on the trainer during the winter. Still love to ride it outdoors as the feel is amazing. Fits well, too.

Was going to go down to four buy selling the hardtail, then realized how much I enjoy riding it around my neighborhood, etc. I ride with my son, who is starting to appreciate mountain biking.

The other thing you should ask yourself is do I enjoy riding it? Does it fit? if the answer to either question is no, sell it and raise money for new parts for the bikes you want to keep...
Old 05-02-20, 07:33 PM
kissycat2002
Kathryn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, a few are vintage that he just loves to collect. He finds them in the trash and brings them home. I would have to say he has about 10 he would personally ride. I have 2. Two of my three kids have one each.
Old 05-03-20, 02:35 AM
SurferCyclist

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF 9.0 Di2, Cannondale CaaD 8, Diamondback MTB(ancient)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 22 Posts
It's not unusual for cycling to have the N+1 thing. Most sports and hobbies do this, I surf and have 10 surfboards. Different board for different surf conditions etc plus some just take my fancy. You know how it goes...
Likes For SurferCyclist:
Old 05-03-20, 05:52 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
50 plus and counting from vintage muscle bikes to vintage road bikes. I also have every category of bicycle as well.Nowadays I’ve slowed down to where it has to be significant.I have one carbonfiber-bike that I will never ride after I’ve seen a few friends in one month shatter a wheelset from a huge pothole and a frame (seatstay,chainstay) from a person opening up their car door.
Old 05-06-20, 02:23 AM
kissycat2002
Kathryn

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 7up
50 plus and counting from vintage muscle bikes to vintage road bikes.
​​​​​​ Vintage muscle?? I'm intrigued......my husband is trying to get one from each category. So far he has bikes, one tricycle, 3 tandems, 2 unicycles, skip tooths, road, mountain, cruiser, antique......
Old 05-06-20, 03:19 AM
monkeytusmc 

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie SS, Colnago C40 B-Stay Mapei, 2013 Greg Lemond Commemorative TDF 90 (#55 of 100), 1992 Greg Lemond Team Z, Dario Pegoretti Marcelo "Why Not?", (2) x Zunow Road Bike

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
im up to 7 bicycles and im glad im not the only one LOL. although i do plan on downsizing as just dont have the room to keep all of them.
Old 05-06-20, 04:02 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
I am currently at 8 bikes, well now down to 7, mostly given to us by others or that my family had when I was a kid. My strategy is just bringing up the fact that we as a family started cycling and the offers to give away bicycles are coming in droves. This means that we don't get the latest and greatest but for example a friend of mine recently died a horrible and premature death from one of the worst cancers in existence just before this pandemic and his widow offered to give us his Jamis which is a pretty good bike. It's too small for me but my younger son loves it. My inlaws also gave us their old Treks which are kind of old and not top end but I was able to retune them inexpensively and for the money have a pair of decent bikes with good gearing for the hills around here for my older son and wife.

I am at the point where I am starting to give them away now. I gave my old bike I had as a kid away, a Magna Outrageous which I believe weighs almost as much as a motorcycle and is too small for me now. Now I know why people are giving us bikes like its going out of style, they take up so much room when you're not using them. I have taken up to starting to offer our least favorites (anyone want to come and pick up a pair of his/hers matched Free Spirit Brittany's for free?)
Old 05-07-20, 07:20 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I would like to keep it to three.

have:
gravel topstone 105
road system six

future:
mountain bike
Old 05-07-20, 08:49 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I am at the point where I am starting to give them away now.

There's nothing I love more than giving a bike away......... (except for selling one). It seems like the Fuji's, Schwinns, & Raleighs are easier to give away than the Centurions, Univegas and, Shoguns. But eventually, they all have to go.
Old 05-08-20, 03:45 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I've got a few bikes. With the exception of a modern road bike, which I'm currently try to sell, and two MTBs for riding on the beach they're nearly all very similar in form and function. They're what we used to call sports tourer or club bikes. This function is perfect for what I need from a bike; they'll handle Sunday club rides, commuting in the week, Audax rides and sportives, and with a rack they'll carry a reasonable amount of shopping. Clearance for mudguards in Winter and a rack if needed, steel frame for compliance, without being excessively heavy, and the sheer pleasure in owning a classic / vintage machine.

None of my bikes are museum pieces or display items - admittedly none of them are especially rare or valuable - and I get a lot of enjoyment in using them regularly in all weathers for what they were designed and built to do.

And yes, my n is likely to increase; while the shed's full there's still plenty of room in the garage.
Old 05-09-20, 09:17 PM
RobertJason75

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Unfortunately, I have an N-1 problem. Once from a second story balcony and once from a garage door my buddy forgot to close when he drove off to work.
Old 05-09-20, 09:35 PM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
It seems like somehow I went from 1 bike to 4 and I知 not even sure what happened 🤣. Sad news is I知 still jonesing for an Orbea so I guess I知 addicted. My question however is for those of you who own multiple bikes ( just about everyone I gather?) are each of your bikes different in purpose or design or do some of you have multiple road bikes that only differ in brand name and color?
What is your strategy / thought process when looking for another bike?
I decide what I want to do and then find the right bike.

I have a road e-bike
Mountain e-bike on order.
E-bike for days with a lot of headwind.

Have 2 29rs mountain.
Harley Davidson Shopping for a dirt bike
Need a gravel bike. <<<
Old 05-09-20, 09:43 PM
SquishyBiker

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Circa (Rd Dist), 2020 Giant Toughroad (Rd Tour), 2021 Trek Allant+ 8S (eCommute), 2021 Scott Aspect 940 (Mt HT), 2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29er (Mt FS), 2022 Scott Spark 960 (Mt FS)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
At present I went from 5 to 2 to get debt free, then I bought a house.

I'm now back to 3
Road tour/commuter: 2014 Avanti Circa
Allroad/Gravel: 2020 Salsa Journeyman (at the bike shop, being assembled)
Enduro MTB: 2015 Giant Reign

By xmas, I will most likely add a Bombtrack Beyond+ for bikepacking

Old 05-10-20, 04:26 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts
In Cambodia I have
MTB; Giant revel, Deore 3x10 speed
day trip/randonneur; 81 Centurion Pro-Tour 105 3x10 speed brifter stud mounted centerpulls
flat bar road, Fuji Stratos, ultegra level 2x10
flat bar townie, Bridgestone Prestino, SRAM Automatix 2 speed
grocery getter/market Gazelle Primeur Opafiets SA drum brakes, dyno front and 5 speed rear.
coaster brake big BMX

Bikes in USA
day trip/randonneur; 83 Centurion Pro-Tour 105 2x10 speed brifter cantis
single speed drop bars 74 Raleigh Grand prix
dingle speed flat bar 73 Raleigh Super Course
drop bar road bike 78 Raleigh SuperCourse, 600 Arabesque 2x7
drop bar road bike 83 Raleigh Record Ace Brit model 2x7

Frames in USA coming to Cambodia
Geoffrey Butler to replace the Fuji
gugificatione Witcomb to be 650b

Frames in USA
Dawes Galaxy has parts no wheels
Raleigh 77 Super Course might have parts no wheels
Some Trek might have parts no wheels
Old 05-15-20, 02:22 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
We have recently downsized into an over 55 community. In anticipation, I have had to find new homes for six bikes. N-6 is traumatic.
Old 05-18-20, 08:08 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
How do you with so many bikes deal with the pedal/shoe issue? So far, all of my bikes have Look Keo pedals, so I can use the same shoes. But......
Old 05-18-20, 09:47 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
The gf has gone crazy of late and bought a Pinarello Prince of Spain and THREE Colnagos. She works hard for a living so can spend her money as she sees fit but DAMN😳
She does ride them so can稚 be accused of just collecting art.

Likes For Tomm Willians: