Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Using threaded fork as threadless?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-20, 04:43 PM
orangeology

Bikes: i don't have a bike. a few frames, forks and some parts. that's all

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 33 Posts

anyone experience using a threaded fork as threadless fork? saying, cut off the steerer tube to the needed length, not tapping the necessary chases but using it as just a bear tube pairing up with a threadless headset (aka aheadset). while i can imagine it quite straight forward, just curious if there's any caution or unexpected implication? (of course, it has to cut to enough length to hold the non-quill stem, i understand)
Old 06-02-20, 05:28 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 665 Posts
I think as long as your not grabbing the threaded section with the stem it would essentially be a threadless steerer tube. If you are grabbing the threaded section, then the guidance is that you should not do this because the threaded section is weaker from the threads and the groove that is cut into it.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 06-02-20, 06:19 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i've done it with schwinn le tour fork that had a long steerer. worked great with a frame and shorter head tube. just hammer a star nut down and it is threadless <<go!>>
Likes For thook:
Old 06-02-20, 07:30 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
My low trail bike is using a threaded steerer that I cut down. I'm living dangerously, as I cut it where the locking groove starts. There's about 15mm of shallow, unusable thread exposed. I've been running it like this for a few years now, try to keep an eye on everything.
Old 06-02-20, 07:49 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
I did it once but kept the threaded section short so the stem was at least "halfway" clamped on smooth steerer,(with NO groove cut in any threads). Never had a problem but was worried aboit the star-fangled nut so used the type that expands (like you'd use for a carbon fiber steerer). Those were hard to find for a 1" steerer, let me tell ya!
Old 06-02-20, 08:48 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I have seen it done.
I have not done it.
With my luck....well, no.

Besides, with the Innicycle adapter on the market, easier than ever.
Old 06-03-20, 12:01 AM
orangeology

somehow i never trusted the star nut from the first sight, good i have kept an expanding bolt for 1” tube for one day, ha.
Likes For orangeology:
Old 06-03-20, 01:11 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
there's never anything to worry about with a star nut. it's only purpose is to load up the headset bearings. it is the stem clamping force holding it all together.

nice as those adapters are, they are also $$$
Likes For thook:
Old 06-03-20, 07:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by orangeology
anyone experience using a threaded fork as threadless fork? saying, cut off the steerer tube to the needed length, not tapping the necessary chases but using it as just a bear tube pairing up with a threadless headset (aka aheadset). while i can imagine it quite straight forward, just curious if there's any caution or unexpected implication? (of course, it has to cut to enough length to hold the non-quill stem, i understand)
I did it on a road bike for a niece. We had a frame but no fork. Grabbed a quality fork with what we guessed was proper rake and long steerer from the local collective. Its quite straight forward- its the same as a modern threadless fork install. Set the race, install the headset, set the star, and then remove to cut the steerer where needed.
The most difficult part, which wasnt atually difficult, was searching for a 1" threadless headset because it was a debate between an entry Ritchey Comp and an Origin8 for $10 less.
Old 06-03-20, 12:07 PM
orangeology

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I did it on a road bike for a niece. We had a frame but no fork. Grabbed a quality fork with what we guessed was proper rake and long steerer from the local collective. Its quite straight forward- its the same as a modern threadless fork install. Set the race, install the headset, set the star, and then remove to cut the steerer where needed.
The most difficult part, which wasnt atually difficult, was searching for a 1" threadless headset because it was a debate between an entry Ritchey Comp and an Origin8 for $10 less.
what i've imagined, exactly. thanks for sharing.

actually the idea is i'll go with depending on what i've gotten in terms of the headset. just sold 1" threadless headset that i used to have with a carbon fork, on here as a part of cleaning up the shop process. because it's been a while on the bike stuffs, i had no idea how hard it has become to find one unless paying like 150 bucks for the NOS Chis King ones. don't mind the cheap ones, but they are ugly... i should not have sold it, but then the whole idea was like no more bike building... #infinityloop

have a columbus steel fork incoming with obviously long steerer tube. whatever the headset i've got, i will decide whether go with threadless or having it tapped to threaded which is also a hassle, no bike shop in my hood deals with 'old school' stuffs.
Likes For orangeology:
Old 06-03-20, 03:59 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
I think I have a relatively cheap 1” threadless silver headset in the stash from a project that never happened. PM me if you want me to dig it out.
Old 06-03-20, 10:27 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
used to be a thing "everybody did" but maybe they all did it badly...in any case you hardly ever find any shop who will lathe-cut (or die-cut) more threading on a garden-variety steel steerer.Some folks who used to cut threads will now only cut off the old and splice on a section of new steerer, which CAN be a plus (sometimes) if you want a much longer steerer than you have or swap from threaded to threadless (vice-versa). But if you just want what you want, and that's a few threads cut...go fish!
Likes For unworthy1: