Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frames and Framebuilding (1970-1979) Amateur Framebuilders Contest -- Winners

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 10:11 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 999 Posts

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 06-27-20, 12:23 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Funny how sure of themselves the judges sound. Their opinion about where to connect the seatstays to the main triangle sounds reasonable but is somewhat outdated. In theory it makes sense to attach them at the thick seat lug but I think in practice the forces at play are not strong enough to make doing so absolutely necessary, especially on a road bike. It also ignores the fact that there is no seatlug on many fillet-brazed frames and yet those frames hold up fine with seatstays attached directly to seattube.

It sort of makes sense as commercial framebuilders tend to overbuild their bikes for customers.

​​​​​

​​​
Old 06-27-20, 02:52 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Funny how sure of themselves the judges sound. Their opinion about where to connect the seatstays to the main triangle sounds reasonable but is somewhat outdated. In theory it makes sense to attach them at the thick seat lug but I think in practice the forces at play are not strong enough to make doing so absolutely necessary, especially on a road bike. It also ignores the fact that there is no seatlug on many fillet-brazed frames and yet those frames hold up fine with seatstays attached directly to seattube.

It sort of makes sense as commercial framebuilders tend to overbuild their bikes for customers.​​​​
If I was a judge I would be put demerits on a frame that attaches seat stays directly to the top of a single butted seat tube. Most standard seat tubes have a wall thickness at the bottom bracket shell of 0.9mm. At the top, it is a very thin 0.6mm. Fillet brazing the seat stays onto that very thin tubing would have high odds that it might eventually crack. And there is also a good chance the seat tube will bulge out with the necessary brazing heat. A commercial framebuilder would not want to take any chance of the seat stays cracking or bulging that would hurt both their reputation and pocketbook.

There are several ways to solve the problem including putting another piece of tube on the seat tube where the seat stays will attach. Raleigh did that with their fast back frames. Another option is to use outside butted seat tubes (if it a fillet brazed frame). The True Temper ones were 1.3mm thick at the top. This makes it look like it isn't reinforced unless you look close. I wouldn't take this chance but using a double butted .9/.6/.9 tube (requiring a 26.6 seat post) would lessen the chance the joint would eventually break.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 06-27-20 at 02:55 PM.
Likes For Doug Fattic: