Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

'82 Raleigh International MKII--now with pictures

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 07-22-20, 05:08 PM
palmerina

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am trying to determine the value of a 56cm 1982 Raleigh International MKII, made in Japan. Reynolds 531 frame and fork, Shimano 600 shifters/derailleurs/brakes, Campagnolo seat post, Nitto technomic stem and Nitto "noodle" handlebar, Tektro levers, Araya rims, shimano hubs. Not sure about the crank. Low miles; purchased new old stock 10 years ago and always kept indoors and ridden only on pavement. The frame of this bike was discussed in some depth in this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...eisonic-2.html. Location is SW Ohio. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by palmerina; 07-23-20 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-22-20, 06:02 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked 2,299 Times in 1,361 Posts
Might put your location down. Some places worth more than others.
Old 07-22-20, 07:37 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
It's a nice bike. Although it's well made and a better bike than the original International of the 1970's, it lacks some of the "Made in England" charm.

The headset has quite a few spacers between the lock-nut and the top race, was the fork replaced? The stem seems to extend too far out of the steering tube.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-23-20, 08:28 AM
palmerina

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Might put your location down. Some places worth more than others.
Thanks. SW Ohio.
Old 07-23-20, 09:15 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

I would pay $225.00 for it as-is
Old 07-23-20, 01:01 PM
palmerina

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
It's a nice bike. Although it's well made and a better bike than the original International of the 1970's, it lacks some of the "Made in England" charm.

The headset has quite a few spacers between the lock-nut and the top race, was the fork replaced? The stem seems to extend too far out of the steering tube.
Thank you. The fork is original to the frame; this was sold as frame only so the spacers were put in there by the guy who built up the bike. The stem is an extra-tall set up to raise the handlebar; that's why it looks like that.

Last edited by palmerina; 07-23-20 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 06:22 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I would pay $225.00 for it as-is
$225 seems like a good starting point, but it might sit a while, and you might end up having to drop down to get a buyer. I've only been in SW Ohio for a few years now, but my impression is that the vintage road bike market is pretty weak here. There are some collectors of high end stuff, but this isn't in that camp. Otherwise, it's mostly just people looking for something to ride around town, and they're not interested in paying more for a 531 road bike when they can find a basic hybrid used for half the price.
That said, the bike looks to be in good condition and nice and clean, which really helps.
Old 07-23-20, 06:31 PM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by palmerina
Thank you. The fork is original to the frame; this was sold as frame only so the spaces were put in there by the guy who built up the bike. The stem is an extra-tall set up to raise the handlebar; that's why it looks like that.
That stack of spacers is there because the fork is too long for the frame....
Old 07-23-20, 07:36 PM
palmerina

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That stack of spacers is there because the fork is too long for the frame....
If you say so. I am certain the fork is original in any case. Here is the original ad for the frame and fork, if that helps.

Last edited by palmerina; 07-23-20 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 07:58 PM
palmerina

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroGut
$225 seems like a good starting point, but it might sit a while, and you might end up having to drop down to get a buyer. I've only been in SW Ohio for a few years now, but my impression is that the vintage road bike market is pretty weak here. There are some collectors of high end stuff, but this isn't in that camp. Otherwise, it's mostly just people looking for something to ride around town, and they're not interested in paying more for a 531 road bike when they can find a basic hybrid used for half the price.
That said, the bike looks to be in good condition and nice and clean, which really helps.
Thanks a lot for the input! This all makes sense and is more or less what I expected. Not looking to sell now, but have been wondering if it would be worth the trouble to raid it for the parts I want to keep or eventually sell it as is. Sounds like it would be better to part out. It doesn’t make sense to me to sell a bike with a practically new Brooks saddle and an $80 handlebar etc. for 225 bucks.
Old 07-24-20, 06:14 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
$225 for a 531 frame with brooks, upgraded handlebar and shimano 600? I want to live in your market!

I'd say the right buyer could come along at 400.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 07-24-20, 08:16 AM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by palmerina
If you say so. I am certain the fork is original in any case. Here is the original ad for the frame and fork, if that helps.
I was curious about the unusual stack height of the headset so I started a thread to get some informed opinions....

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-too-many.html
Old 07-24-20, 07:09 PM
palmerina

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was curious about the unusual stack height of the headset so I started a thread to get some informed opinions....

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-too-many.html
Cool! Thanks!