Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A bicycle is a beautiful thing.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A bicycle is a beautiful thing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 11:46 AM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
I'm no straight arrow. I have indulged in just about every vice the OP mentions at one time or another in my life. But the bike has always been a constant for me. It kept me sane (sorta), it preserved my health despite my lapses into bad habits, and it kept me fit.Having abandoned my wild ways a couple decades ago, I'm still riding and enjoying it more than ever. Yes, a bike is a thing of beauty.

But what's even more amazing is what it's done for me. A couple months back, I crashed rather heavily and ended up taking an ambulance ride to the ER. The EMS folks hadn't asked me for my date of birth before calling in to report my vitals and describe my injury. They said they had a middle aged man, about 59 y/o with severe hip pain and bleeding from the elbow and wrist. Folks, I'm 72 and when I did give them my BD, they re-checked my DL to be sure it was correct. What the bike has done for my life is also a beautiful thing.

If that sounds smug or self-congratulatory, I plead guilty as charged. I've earned it.
I love it. I too had a spill one day on a Friday, long story, broke a wrist and fractured a hip @ around 63 YO. I had a good laugh when the three nurses were trying to lift me onto the hospital bed. I said something about it being the only time three women were trying to get me to bed and I was complaining. I wasn't complaining, just attempting humour, which the three young ladies took as such. I left the hospital Monday after I had metal put in my wrist on Sunday. I took basically no painkillers and forced myself through massive pain in my hip to get out of bed with the help of a physio and later a wonderful nurse. My Tai Chi training played a big role in my recovery. I was back @ Tai Chi in three weeks and back in the saddle to get to Tai Chi in 4 weeks. The trip to Tai Chi a couple of times a week is 28 minutes including a steep long hill.

Thanks for the thread.
Old 07-27-20, 12:47 PM
Abbe

Bikes: Giant Yukon 1, Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
“Keeping rocking it Ray9! As far as getting older goes and keeping joints and muscles healthy and fit, I get the most “ bang for the buck” at the gym doing resistance training. Ride my bike to and from the gym four times a week. Use it or lose it!
Old 07-27-20, 12:57 PM
TommyTwoTone

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29,Giant Sedona, Schwinn Sting Ray.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Good on you, Sir! I'm 70 and I ride my bike most everyday, weather permitting, I also walk on my treadmill daily, 5 miles and I lift weights, not much but enough for keeping my arms in shape, no smoking for sure. Many people that I used to work with 15 years ago that are my age are in very poor health and many can't do anything because they are heavy, still smoke, beset with diabetes now, eat like there's no tomorrow, when I chance to see them they always comment that I look like I haven't aged. I guard my health almost to the point of hypochondria. Hope I can last in good shape another ten years.
Old 07-27-20, 01:52 PM
RandallSmith

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I missed the political content (probably for the best), but otherwise I liked the reflective nature of the original post. I am about to turn 74 and ride 3-4 times a week, ranging from 15 to 80 miles each and it is a beautiful thing and it to keeps me alive and healthy. I love it.
Old 07-27-20, 05:15 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 114 Posts
Hi folks,
I guess it’s OK to be proud of your accomplishments as long as you’re not condescending or being a braggart. At 76 I’ve accomplished a lot that I’m proud of, but don’t talk about it much with casual acquaintances.

Except for a gap between the ages of 16 & 20, bicycles have been an integral part of my life since I was 10. I link this (and good genes) to a healthy and happy life. They have given me something to pass on to others, provided me good mechanical skills and taught me patience.🙂

In the past four years four of my neighbors have died from the complications of smoking and they smoked right up until the end. We could never understand why they kept smoking, but didn’t condemn them.🙁

To paraphrase Einstein, “Life is like riding a bicycle, you have to keep moving to stay upright.”

Cheers,

Van
Likes For Senior Ryder 00:
Old 07-27-20, 06:19 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Yep, nobody likes a braggart
Old 07-27-20, 07:32 PM
MeadMan2

Bikes: Mead Ranger '24- Armstrong 3sp '64 Follis 172 '74 Centurian Accordo 80's Mercian '85 Mark Zeh road '86 Kona Explosif '93 Merkx Ti AX '97 Santana Arriva tandem '99 Bike Friday tandem

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
I'm no straight arrow. I have indulged in just about every vice the OP mentions at one time or another in my life. But the bike has always been a constant for me. It kept me sane (sorta), it preserved my health despite my lapses into bad habits, and it kept me fit.Having abandoned my wild ways a couple decades ago, I'm still riding and enjoying it more than ever. Yes, a bike is a thing of beauty.

But what's even more amazing is what it's done for me. A couple months back, I crashed rather heavily and ended up taking an ambulance ride to the ER. The EMS folks hadn't asked me for my date of birth before calling in to report my vitals and describe my injury. They said they had a middle aged man, about 59 y/o with severe hip pain and bleeding from the elbow and wrist. Folks, I'm 72 and when I did give them my BD, they re-checked my DL to be sure it was correct. What the bike has done for my life is also a beautiful thing.

If that sounds smug or self-congratulatory, I plead guilty as charged. I've earned it.
I'm 81 and I get a lot of "I can't believe you're that old". Am I bragging? Probably but it does make me feel good. Though I m a small time bike collector, my favorite ride is my Lightspeed built Eddie Merxx. I don't do any exercise but cycling in the summer. I alpine ski in the winter. And may I recommend Ayinger October Fest-Marzen for those of you who believe that bikes & beer go together.

Last edited by MeadMan2; 07-27-20 at 07:35 PM. Reason: misspelling
Likes For MeadMan2:
Old 07-27-20, 08:07 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yep, nobody likes a braggart
"It ain't braggin if you done it"
Old 07-27-20, 09:08 PM
slenten
Lotus Must Recite

Bikes: 1991 Waterford Paramount

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Honi soit qui mal y pense (ironically)
Old 07-27-20, 09:18 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Figjam
Old 07-28-20, 09:09 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Not only is a bicycle a beautiful thing, look what it has done for civilization. Once the Starley diamond frame bike was developed look what happened. There was and immediate call for improved roads. That meant that people could live further from their jobs and cities and commerce expanded. And two bicycle mechanics invented the airplane.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-28-20, 02:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
a beautiful thing....

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-28-20, 03:37 PM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by MeadMan2
I'm 81 and I get a lot of "I can't believe you're that old". Am I bragging? Probably but it does make me feel good. Though I m a small time bike collector, my favorite ride is my Lightspeed built Eddie Merxx. I don't do any exercise but cycling in the summer. I alpine ski in the winter. And may I recommend Ayinger October Fest-Marzen for those of you who believe that bikes & beer go together.
Glad I'm not alone. We can't help growing up. Sort of a requisite for survival. But growing old can at least be held at bay to some degree. But I still chuckle on the odd occasion when I'm carded while buying a bottle of wine It's worth it to watch the double take when they see my DOB and do the math. Ride on, my friend, ride on...
Old 07-29-20, 07:38 AM
jjankie

Bikes: NOW: Trek Checkpoint ARL 4; PAST: Trek Boone 5 - stolen Nov 2019; Bianchi Volpe lost in MN River July 2014

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
You lost me at "I have a fleet of expensive bicycles ...." What the heck for? LOL To what end?
Old 07-29-20, 08:25 AM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
I always thought that being unable to have sympathy for people was a very sad and tragic emotional handicap.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 07-29-20, 03:17 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
I enjoyed reading the passionate musing. Funny how some folks see a political bent and take offense.
What about all those who love their booze or weed?
Old 07-29-20, 07:15 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
The bicycle is as much a work of art as it is an engineered machine. It is pleasing to the eye in a beautifully symmetrical way. It could not have been fashioned as a tool by a rhinoceros or a giraffe or even a very intelligent ape. Only human minds working in tandem could bring it from its essence to the final piece; and we are not done yet. Putting on a futurist's hat I see the arrow of time producing a flying bicycle. Battery assist and drone technology will be married to lightweight tubing (meta materials) as well as artificial intelligence to get us off the ground. I hope I live to soar on one.
But apparently Ray's cool with LSD......
Likes For bargo68:
Old 07-30-20, 10:32 PM
plittle2005

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Feeling Great!

I'm 78, overweight, but feeling great! I never feel better than when I'm on the bike! If someone tells you that a bike is a beautiful thing, it ain't political, bunky!
Old 07-31-20, 10:10 AM
bmcer

Originally Posted by plittle2005
I'm 78, overweight, but feeling great! I never feel better than when I'm on the bike! If someone tells you that a bike is a beautiful thing, it ain't political, bunky!
Not sure why you quoted me. Don't think I said anything about politics. In any case, I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 08-01-20, 05:52 AM
csuperbike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Outstanding thread. I do believe the bicycle is better for us as we age. Much easier on the joints.
Old 08-01-20, 08:38 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Ray9
The bicycle is as much a work of art as it is an engineered machine. It is pleasing to the eye in a beautifully symmetrical way. It could not have been fashioned as a tool by a rhinoceros or a giraffe or even a very intelligent ape. Only human minds working in tandem could bring it from its essence to the final piece; and we are not done yet. Putting on a futurist's hat I see the arrow of time producing a flying bicycle. Battery assist and drone technology will be married to lightweight tubing (meta materials) as well as artificial intelligence to get us off the ground. I hope I live to soar on one.
I'll have what he's smoking....
Old 08-01-20, 09:56 AM
bmcer

Originally Posted by Biketiger
I enjoyed reading the passionate musing. Funny how some folks see a political bent and take offense.
What about all those who love their booze or weed?
When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail
Old 08-01-20, 09:57 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
But apparently Ray's cool with LSD......
LSD = Long slow distance. I've done tons of LSD and I am sure that most of the cyclists who post here have done it too.
Old 08-01-20, 10:57 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
LSD = Long slow distance. I've done tons of LSD and I am sure that most of the cyclists who post here have done it too.
Yup! And who doesn't love TITS!!!
TITS = Time In The Saddle.
TITS and LSD, didn't Frank Zappa write a song like that?
Maybe not....
Old 08-02-20, 12:22 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
I admit I liked his post....you guys in your 70s are truly inspiring. No joke..I'm a 50 Clydesdale who is working on keeping it rolling well down the road. Keep up the fantastic work and a good story does wonders for folks not quite as "long in the tooth"..yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.