Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How many Head-Set Spacers are too many?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-20, 09:11 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts

The owner of this bike insists the fork is original, I'm not so sure...
.................................................................................................... ....

Old 07-23-20, 09:44 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Depends, I did this on purpose for better reach later on.

Can't imagine the Raleigh came that way.

Likes For merziac:
Old 07-23-20, 09:52 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

That is one artfully crafted cluster !

I don't even know what question to ask first....
Old 07-23-20, 09:56 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
The fork is original... the frame is a replacement. 😊

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 07-23-20, 09:58 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
The short answer is 2.

There was no reason to stack spacers BITD with quill stems. It just was not done.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 07-23-20, 10:22 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,393 Times in 2,092 Posts
That's a one-year-only Raleigh International Mk.II. Japanese made and liquidated through Michael's Cyclery when Raleigh USA was taken over by Huffy and sold only as framesets. See: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...onic-bike.html

As such, the fork is correct for it and the paint original. There's no reason to assume the fork isn't original except for the stack height, but the chances of a nicely kept International Mk.II being reunited with another International Mk.II fork is pretty difficult, even in these days of the world wide web.

Charles Wahl bought one new, so perhaps he can explain whether they came with extra steerer for the assembler or not. If not, I'd take a guess that something happened along the line where there was a missing or damaged fork on a frame and Michael's substituted one from a frame the next size up for delivery.

I have no reason to doubt the owner's claim.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-23-20, 10:28 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Originally Posted by cudak888
Yeah, despite my comments above, I don't doubt that it's original, because that was a weird period for Raleigh. A pro shop would have chopped the steer tube to the correct length before putting it out on the floor, but if it came that way out of the box, I suspect many if not most shops would not have bothered.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 07-23-20, 10:31 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Yeah, despite my comments above, I don't doubt that it's original, because that was a weird period for Raleigh. A pro shop would have chopped the steer tube to the correct length before putting it out on the floor, but if it came that way out of the box, I suspect many if not most shops would not have bothered.
The component choices and the lack of dropout adjusters make me think a deal-seeker with a few bike tools decided to do a home frame swap BITD.

-Kurt

Old 07-23-20, 10:35 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
The short answer is 2.
This.

Spoiler

Old 07-23-20, 10:41 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
That is one artfully crafted cluster !

I don't even know what question to ask first....
Tx! The spacer is from Jamie Swann courtesy of gugie, really saved my bacon, only option I could find and worked perfect. Stem is VO Grand Cru, Nitto 177 bars and 4 spacers like yours but broken up 2 x 2. I have some stainless tubing that I made one for only 2 spacers but really like the current setup so...

Here's the build thread if you want.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-decide-4.html
Old 07-23-20, 10:43 PM
Salamandrine 

The component choices and the lack of dropout adjusters make me think a deal-seeker with a few bike tools decided to do a home frame swap BITD.

-Kurt
Yeah, I think that's likely. I'm not a Raleigh guy, but that does look like a frameset plus random parts type build. It appears to be a Raleigh fork, but for the wrong frame, or more likely it was built up from a frameset by an amateur, and they simply didn't figure out that the steer tube needed to be trimmed. .
Old 07-23-20, 10:45 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Yeah, I think that's likely. I'm not a Raleigh guy, but that does look like a frameset plus random parts type build. It appears to be a Raleigh fork, but for the wrong frame, or more likely it was built up from a frameset by an amateur, and they simply didn't figure out that the steer tube needed to be trimmed. .
The latter. There's no possibility that it's for the wrong frame. See this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...onic-bike.html

-Kurt

Old 07-24-20, 06:41 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
As previously noted by Kurt, the fork is OEM and these frames were part of the liquidation of Raleigh stock that Huffy refused to assume when they obtained the Raleigh license for the USA in late 1982. We've seen enough of them with properly sized forks to know that the subject frameset is an anomaly.

When originally manufactured, these were not intended for sale as framesets but as bicycles. However, due to the timing of the deal with Huffy, they were caught in limbo and it was decided to liquidate then as framesets. There are several possible scenarios that could cause such as mismatch but the most likely is that an employee at Michsel's Cyclery simply selected the incorrect fork when preparing a shipment for a customer order. When these were shipped from Japan, they almost certainly would have shipped in separate crates for frames and forks, with the matching being performed at Michael's Cyclery.

Edit: Given the height of the OP's stem, I think he lucked out. The slightly longer steering column mitigates the tall stem effect..

Last edited by T-Mar; 07-24-20 at 06:50 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-24-20, 06:56 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I own one of these, and built it up as a gravel bike.
It really only clears 35 in the rear, though. I tried 38s, need them here, but no mud clearance. Any frame guys out there that would like to do a chainstay crimp for me?

That's a low stack headset on the OPs bike, and on mine, I had no issue putting a centerpull hanger on with whatever headset I had in the parts bin. So I don't think this frame was designed/built requiring a low stack headset. I'm going to have to check to see what I do have installed.

EDIT: I checked out the other thread, with that nice spec diagram, and the designed stack height is 46mm. The Tange headset pictured is shorter than that spec.

Last edited by Ex Pres; 07-24-20 at 08:29 AM.
Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 07-24-20, 06:57 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
My Raleigh from Michael's Cyclery had a steerer that was just long enough to fit a Campagnolo Super Record headset, with it's taller alloy spacer replaced by a thinner chromed one.

My guess is that the frame was sold to someone out of a place like that (if not Michael's) with a fork for a larger frame.

I passed that frame on to Neal Lerner almost a decade ago, don't know whether it's still in his rotation. But it lives on in his Flickr and mine. It was fun to ride, but too small for me; my first "serious" bike.

Here's the OP's Raleigh, I think:

That's a one-year-only Raleigh International Mk.II. Japanese made and liquidated through Michael's Cyclery when Raleigh USA was taken over by Huffy and sold only as framesets. See: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...onic-bike.html

As such, the fork is correct for it and the paint original. There's no reason to assume the fork isn't original except for the stack height, but the chances of a nicely kept International Mk.II being reunited with another International Mk.II fork is pretty difficult, even in these days of the world wide web.

Charles Wahl bought one new, so perhaps he can explain whether they came with extra steerer for the assembler or not. If not, I'd take a guess that something happened along the line where there was a missing or damaged fork on a frame and Michael's substituted one from a frame the next size up for delivery.

-Kurt

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 07-24-20 at 07:07 AM.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 07-24-20, 07:40 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
... the most likely is that an employee at Michsel's Cyclery simply selected the incorrect fork when preparing a shipment for a customer order.
Which means, some short time later when the taller-frame bike was being assembled, there was an "oh $#!+" moment when no fork of the correct length could be found. To be a fly on the wall that afternoon....

(Gotta wonder if that bike spent its service life with zero spacers, and the lock nut mashed directly to the top race.)
Old 07-24-20, 07:55 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Oddly, though, the number of spacers is 5, only 4 more than would be normal. Even if each is 3 mm thick, that's only half an inch, but the chart above suggests that they were sold in even inch increments. So the question is: what bike did that fork fit correctly?
Old 07-24-20, 08:06 AM
branko_76 

After seeing the elegantly designed and crafted head-tube cluster owned by merziac , and reading some the comments here, I'm starting to think that the original owner may have been a mechanic who wanted a smaller frame with a taller steering column.
Old 07-24-20, 08:34 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
Oddly, though, the number of spacers is 5, only 4 more than would be normal. Even if each is 3 mm thick, that's only half an inch, but the chart above suggests that they were sold in even inch increments. So the question is: what bike did that fork fit correctly?
Built-in designed stack height = 46mm. Tange Levin = 33mm. That's 13mm worth of extra spacers needed.
Old 07-24-20, 08:59 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Good catch! Who builds bikes to have that sort of stack height? I don't have any like that! was there some fixture one was expected to use on a touring bike, like a tall brake hanger or decaleur? One question for the OP: is the steerer overthreaded enough that it could simply be cut down to a size that required 1/2" less spacer stack?
Old 07-24-20, 09:00 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,122 Times in 1,964 Posts
Some stack heights are funky when replacing a headset with something different. More often for me, I can't fit the top nut on and have to find a lesser stack headset. But a few times I have used extra spacers...as Ex-Pres stated.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 07-24-20, 09:06 AM
Salamandrine 

Originally Posted by branko_76
After seeing the elegantly designed and crafted head-tube cluster owned by merziac , and reading some the comments here, I'm starting to think that the original owner may have been a mechanic who wanted a smaller frame with a taller steering column.
While that is possible, I think it is extremely unlikely. Extra 'stack' just wasn't something that was done during this time. As always, there's probably an exception out there somewhere if you look hard enough. At most a washer might be added to compensate for a removed CPSC reflector or center pull cable stop hanger, but even then the correct way to do it would have been to trim the steerer.

I think it's much more likely that a home mechanic assembled it from the frameset, noticed the steer tube was a little long, but lacked the confidence and/or the hacksaw to trim it the right length correctly.

Flash forward to the here and now, and there's no reason not to trim it down correctly, and use one spacer. Given a few decades of hindsight, there isn't any harm in some extra 'stack' either. The only possible issue is that the expander of a vintage quill stem might end up in the threaded portion of the steer tube. That should be avoided.

Thanks cudak888 and T-mar for the information about these framesets.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 07-24-20, 09:19 AM
branko_76 

While that is possible, I think it is extremely unlikely. Extra 'stack' just wasn't something that was done during this time. As always, there's probably an exception out there somewhere if you look hard enough. At most a washer might be added to compensate for a removed CPSC reflector or center pull cable stop hanger, but even then the correct way to do it would have been to trim the steerer.

We are all guessing here so no need to negate any one opinion, any scenario can be "extremely unlikely".

Given the higher than normal positioning of the stem, it's "plausible" that the extra stack height was chosen to facilitate higher handlebars.
Old 07-24-20, 09:32 AM
Salamandrine 

I'm not negating anyone's opinion here, just stating my own.

If that technomic stem is original, then the original assembler clearly was going for a higher handlebar position. It's possible or even probable that the builder figured there was no logical point in chopping the steer tube. Those stems are long enough that the wedge would be in a safe place even with the extra washers. (I suggest that this be verified)

AFA my estimate of the likely hood that a pro mechanic did this, I repaired or otherwise worked on thousands of bikes during this period, and never saw that many extra washers on a headset. Therefore, the conclusion that it is unlikely. But there it is with a big stack of washers, so obviously someone did it.
Old 07-24-20, 09:38 AM
branko_76 

Originally Posted by ofajen
The fork is original... the frame is a replacement. 😊

Otto
This is the most likely scenario....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.