Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano 600 front derailleur limiting screws not working

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-26-20, 12:53 PM
Funktopus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

I just moved my Shimano 600 FD from one bike frame to another. En route I gave it a cleanup with a toothbrush and some warm water and dislodged about 30 years of filth. Unfortunately the limiting screws no longer seem to work.

The screws did work on my old frame, and I had them tuned pretty well. Now on this new one the derailleur is pulling the chain off both the big and small ring, and loosening or tightening the screws have absolutely no effect on how far the derailleur can travel.

Could giving it a little brushing have broken this derailleur? Is there something I can do to fix it?

Thanks
Old 07-26-20, 02:02 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Something is amiss. I would detach the cable and see what you have for limits, just manipulating the FD by hand. Also make sure the unit is just clearing the chainrings and the cage isn’t angled too much.
Fwiw when I have adjusted those, the limit screw heads have ended up more or less flush with the body.
A pic would be helpful.
Old 07-26-20, 02:17 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 843 Posts
Did you remove a fastener or clip from the main arm pivot?

If the arm isn't held all the way on the pivot shaft, the screws will miss the stops that the screws are supposed to control.

I would do a visual on what is going on near the tips of those screws.
Old 07-26-20, 02:23 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Is the cable route different?
Old 07-26-20, 02:37 PM
Funktopus

Originally Posted by due ruote
Something is amiss. I would detach the cable and see what you have for limits, just manipulating the FD by hand. Also make sure the unit is just clearing the chainrings and the cage isn’t angled too much.
Fwiw when I have adjusted those, the limit screw heads have ended up more or less flush with the body.
A pic would be helpful.

Thanks. Yes, something is amiss. Limits seem to be at what I imagine is their max! The old frame had a triple chainring, I'm running a double on this one. Don't know if that could be a clue.

Positioning also seems to be OK, when I ran into trouble with the screws I consulted the Park Tools page and made sure I'd followed all the instructions there. On my old frame the screws were nearly flush, just slightly raised on each side I think.
Old 07-26-20, 02:37 PM
Funktopus

A pic would be helpful.

Thanks. Yes, something is amiss. Limits seem to be at what I imagine is their max! The old frame had a triple chainring, I'm running a double on this one. Don't know if that could be a clue.

Positioning also seems to be OK, when I ran into trouble with the screws I consulted the Park Tools page and made sure I'd followed all the instructions there. On my old frame the screws were nearly flush, just slightly raised on each side I think.

Let me know if there's a more helpful angle a photo could be taken at.
Old 07-26-20, 02:45 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Holy chainring wear.
Likes For natterberry:
Old 07-26-20, 02:56 PM
Funktopus

Originally Posted by natterberry
Holy chainring wear.
True. Just got this crankset off ebay, rings look murdered.
Old 07-26-20, 02:59 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1918 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,079 Posts
When you say the limit screws are at what you imagine to be the max, what do you base your imagination on? There is quite a bit of difference in the distance between doubles and triples. Keep turning the screw until you get satisfaction but be carefull not to bugger the slots in the screws and when you are adjusting them, pull the shift lever to take the pressure off the screws.

EDIT: how the screws appear on "top" flush or not has nothing to do with the adjustment. Look down and inside the mech.
Old 07-26-20, 03:07 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Here’s mine set for a double.

Old 07-26-20, 03:08 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2716 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,024 Posts
Pull a screw, match the thread, go to the hardware store and get longer screws.

If that's "cleaned" I'd hate to have seen dirty.
Old 07-26-20, 03:28 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3556 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Funktopus
You may be able to replace the inner limit bolt with a longer bolt. Remove the bolt and take it to a hardware store to match the thread spec, and buy one with a longer shaft. I've had to do this to adapt 9-speed rear derailleurs to work on narrower 5-speed clusters.

How is the upper limit? Can the derailleur reach far enough out to shift to the large ring? If it can't, don't even bother with the longer bolt suggested above. Check the bottom bracket spindle. Is it placing the crank further out than it needs to be? Look at chainline and clearance between the inner ring and the chainstay. If so, a shorter spindle may solve the problem.
Old 07-26-20, 05:06 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
You may be able to replace the inner limit bolt with a longer bolt. Remove the bolt and take it to a hardware store to match the thread spec, and buy one with a longer shaft. I've had to do this to adapt 9-speed rear derailleurs to work on narrower 5-speed clusters.

How is the upper limit? Can the derailleur reach far enough out to shift to the large ring? If it can't, don't even bother with the longer bolt suggested above. Check the bottom bracket spindle. Is it placing the crank further out than it needs to be? Look at chainline and clearance between the inner ring and the chainstay. If so, a shorter spindle may solve the problem.

I kinda noticed, in the second picture down, the spindle looks quite long and there appears to be BIG chainring clearance.

Might that be a triple-length spindle, relative to the particulars of the cranks?

Also, for best chain control above the chainrings, the minimum clearance between the tips of the teeth of the big ring and the lower edge of the outer cage plate should be only 1-3mm.
Old 07-26-20, 07:29 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Do I understand that it’s over shifting the small ring - ie throwing the chain into the BB? To me it appears you still have some length left on the low limit screw.
Old 07-26-20, 08:03 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 90 Posts
I would agree it looks like the bottom Bracket spindle is to long . If the bottom bracket was from the triple it would most likely be to long for the double.
Old 07-26-20, 08:35 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Funktopus

Based on the pics for a standard Shimano FD You should have about another 2-3mm more play on each way each screw I suspect there just stuck making the upper and lower threads likely not used since the bike came off the shop floor stuck. I would try tacking the DR off and soaking it in solvent like mineral spirits over night then trying the adjustment screws after some WD-40 nearly every vintage Shimanno DR I have seen with a bit of rust has had stuck are partially stuck adjustment screws. Also check to be sure the FD is strait and the right height both look a bit off in the pic.

Last edited by zukahn1; 07-26-20 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-27-20, 12:00 AM
SurferRosa
Banned

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3844 Post(s)
Liked 6,434 Times in 3,181 Posts
Do I understand that it’s over shifting the small ring - ie throwing the chain into the BB?
You don't even need the screw to limit inside travel. Just move more of the cable into the anchor.
Old 07-27-20, 12:08 PM
Funktopus

Thanks for the responses all. To clarify a few things:

* the derailleur pulls the chain off the rings entirely on both the small and big ring. It can definitely reach the big one, and beyond.
* the bottom bracket is not from the old frame. From memory it's a 119mm bb, I did some research and thought that was most likely to fit this crankset. If people think there's too much clearance then maybe I need a shorter one after all.
* there's way more unscrewability on those screws. I can unscrew them entirely, but it changes nothing unfortunately.
*if you think it's dirty now, it was filthy beyond your wildest nightmares before.

I didn't know you could see the screws inside the mechanism if you looked at it from the side on, will post a photo of that when I get home!
Old 07-27-20, 12:09 PM
Funktopus

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
You don't even need the screw to limit inside travel. Just move more of the cable into the anchor.
Good point, will have to check that out.
Old 07-27-20, 12:12 PM
Funktopus

Originally Posted by zukahn1
Based on the pics for a standard Shimano FD You should have about another 2-3mm more play on each way each screw I suspect there just stuck making the upper and lower threads likely not used since the bike came off the shop floor stuck. I would try tacking the DR off and soaking it in solvent like mineral spirits over night then trying the adjustment screws after some WD-40 nearly every vintage Shimanno DR I have seen with a bit of rust has had stuck are partially stuck adjustment screws. Also check to be sure the FD is strait and the right height both look a bit off in the pic.
The screws aren't stuck, I can unwind them all the out - but maybe something else is, a soak like you describe might dislodge something nasty someewhere. Will try tonight if I can find some mineral oil!
Old 07-27-20, 01:10 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

It sounds then like the screws are both bottomed out downward?

What happens if you back out the screw a quarter-turn, then screw back downward? Does it feel like the screw head is bottoming solidly???

I would be trying to "work" the screws downward, backing off just enough to gain movement, then down again and again.

I can't see any benefit to soaking it if the screws aren't frozen in place and the arms can move. Just make sure there is a bit of oil on the screw's threads above the threaded holes.
Old 07-27-20, 01:19 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

I hate to have to remove screws whose adjustment is secured by the holes in the plastic biscuit, since the plastic won't grab the threads well any more.

But the biscuit could be replicated using plastic stock.

What might be needed here is to run a drill bit into the recesses that the screw heads sit into. Who knows what sort of detritus/corrosion might be in there preventing the screw heads from descending.

But normally, all that is needed is to flood the recesses with WD40 and work the screws down, cutting through the slurry.

EDITING:
One more thing I would check here is whether the tips of the screws have perhaps dug significant divots into the "stop lugs" on the pivot knuckle of the main arm. If enough alloy is gone there, the screws might not do their job.
This hopefully could be done visually, without removing the cage and arms from the pivots, by observing this area while moving the lever.

Last edited by dddd; 07-27-20 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-27-20, 04:01 PM
Funktopus

Well it's the strangest thing, but I screwed the screws all the way to the very bottom, just to make sure they could go all the way down. I then started loosening them, and magically they worked again. Derailleur saved! Maybe something was dislodged.

Appreciate all the help, it stopped me from springing for a NOS like-for-like replacement - which would have been shiny, but there are more exciting bike parts that money could go towards.
Likes For Funktopus:
Old 07-27-20, 04:58 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Next time when you are adjusting the limit screws try using the cable to give yourself some slack to work with. The screws will go in and out much easier.