Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crash Damage

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Crash Damage

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-20, 09:05 PM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Crash Damage

Well my adventures with a Basso (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-frame-id.html) were short-lived. I’m too chicken to ride this now. I felt a small ridge when I first check it out but was hoping for the best. My adrenaline/excitement when checking it out doomed me! The top tube/head tube lug stuff was under layers of paint that I just got off tonight. But seeing the bulge on the DT and the ripples in the paint on the actual lug is too much for me.

Some distributed scuffs to bare metal on the seat tube and down tube that may be from clamps when it was re-aligned or straightened after a crash. And paint damage from maybe the rubbing too around the bare spots. Maybe why the covering primer was laid on so thick in spots. Surprisingly the fork seems pretty straight (didn’t strip much spray off there so who knows for sure). I’ll be moving this along if anyone wants heavily damaged goods, or just a Basso panto fork. Gonna message the seller in case they want it back for anything (they had picked it up from the co-op). Sad day!

Bulge anyone?

Ripples at Top Tube and Head Tube lug

Top side of Down Tube

Underside of Down Tube

Seat Tube
Old 07-30-20, 11:34 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I'd ride that. I'd keep an eye on it, but I seriously doubt I could throw enough abuse at that frame to break it. And I am an abusive rider.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Likes For Lascauxcaveman:
Old 07-31-20, 07:17 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 904 Times in 383 Posts
I rode a Motobecane with similar damage. I actually was the one that crashed it. I got another 10,000 miles out of it. The downtube eventually started to crack, right at the head lug.
Old 07-31-20, 07:30 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
In my run from the virus and being stuck in a city far from my bikes, I decided to buy this early sixties Torpado Professional. Upon inspection, I revealed to the owner that the frame had suffered structural damage and that helped cut the price into 1/3 of asking (the components are worth four times what I paid for the bike). The damage...

I bought the bike, hoping that it would prove ride worthy and, with even greater hope, repairable. The bike rides just fine hands off (not completely for safety reasons but the bike does not pull one way of the other)...

But I did have another mechanical issue. I addressed the problem by stringing the frame, to ensure that it was not bent. I repaired the slight misalignment and then squared up the rear drops. Finally, I squared up the rear derailleur hanger, ensuring that it was properly aligned. I did all of these things because, a frame showing damage, needs to be completely checked and, if necessary, repaired.

This is what is waiting for me to take a spin on today. Perhaps before the sun goes down, the Torpado will, once again sport handlebar tape (the rag on the top tube is to prevent top tube damage from the untaped handlebar)...

The point is, I feel perfectly safe riding my bike and my guess is the damage was worse than the OP's. In fact, my bike no longer has its original fork - but I am looking for one...
Old 07-31-20, 08:27 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
I would ride that as well. Looks like a good messenger bike as is!
Old 07-31-20, 09:47 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
You seem worried, and bummed, so I'll leave out the silly remarks.
As others have said, I believe you're in no danger from frame failure, and it may even still track straight ridge now, as is without any additional work. Steel bikes have some cool advantages, and their ability to be trued up, and ridden after receiving that kind of damage is one! If you're a comfortable DIY guy read up on steel frame alignment here and on Sheldon Brown, and have at it, (gently, at least until you get comfortable with it).
Otherwise reach out, I'm sure there are plenty of willing hands, (with masks), to help you straighten it, outside.
Cheers, you have a Basso!
Eric
Old 07-31-20, 09:52 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Seriously, while they may worry you, they really are small potatoes. The advice above is sound, and comes from many years of experience with the same, and much worse!
If you're still not convinced, sure, I'd love to have it. Happy to pay shipping and a bit...
But take our collective advice and keep it.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 07-31-20 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-31-20, 02:33 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
You might be able to find a frame mechanic who could improve that cosmetically. Many mechanics would leave it alone and tell you to go ride. Since it needs paint anyway, ask. My Cinelli got bent far worse than that when only 6 months old. And went 100,000.