Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

SEARCHING: Vintage 1972 Peugeot Cotter Pin Replacement

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-02-20, 08:03 AM
BrightRing

Bikes: Vintage Peugeot Mixte

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hello all! I've been working on getting a Vintage Peugeot UO-18 Mixte up and running, and have run into a huge snag: I'm missing the cotter pins and don't know what type to get to replace them! I had the originals removed at a local bike shop so that I could paint the frame, but they never gave them back to me and when I asked about them they said the pins were too damaged to be reused anyway.

The trouble is, I'm having the bike built up at a different shop now and this place can't source cotter pins that fit! They said the pitch of the pins they need is different from the standard options they have available. Any ideas where I might find some? I believe this bike is from 1972 or thereabouts judging by the serial number, it's a Peugeot UO-18 Mixte.

Likes For BrightRing:
Old 08-02-20, 08:28 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
There are generally either 9.0mm or 9.5mm cotters. The pitch is probably the angle of the cotter face. It isnt unusual to need to file these down to match your spindle interface. I would take it elsewhere if they cant do this.
Old 08-02-20, 08:57 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5876 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Here is where I get my cotter pins:

Bicycle Crank Cotters

The owner of this site fabricates a quality cotter press (or has someone fabricate it) and knows his way around cottered cranks.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-02-20, 11:23 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26212 Post(s)
Liked 10,179 Times in 7,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
There are generally either 9.0mm or 9.5mm cotters. The pitch is probably the angle of the cotter face. It isnt unusual to need to file these down to match your spindle interface. I would take it elsewhere if they cant do this.
...this ^^^. It's pretty routine in dealing with cottered cranks (once you have the proper diameter pin, (which in this case is likely 9mm) to have to file or grind the flats to fit your particular application. Most of the older Peugeot bikes I've worked on had full cut cotters (meaning the flat portion extended the full length of the pin), and they have been unavailable for purchase as a stock item for many, many years now. So you just buy some 9mm cotters, and file or grind them to fit.

That this shop you are using is either unaware off this, or unwilling to do it, does not bode well for your working relationship. Should be a very simple fix...maybe they just want you to take it somewhere else.
Old 08-02-20, 01:23 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
Yes, 9mm is likely. Here is another source, he also has a great tool for removing them...

BikeSmith Design and Fabrication

btw, if the bike shop had the proper tool (and knew how to use it), they would not have damaged the original pins...

Last edited by branko_76; 08-02-20 at 01:35 PM.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 04-08-21, 11:51 PM
Jsendin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I know this an old thread and I hope your project was a success.

I’m working on a UO8 now and I had to order three different pins - because I didn’t measure properly. After I finally got a digital calliper (yay new toy!) I know it takes 8.5mm pins.

the 8.5 pins I received have a different pitch. As the others mentioned it needs to be filed down which I will do soon.

btw I use a vice grip as a cotter press. By trying to force the new pins in - and then removing them - I got a nice notch on the face/pitch area. That mark will be a nice reference for when I file it down.
Old 04-09-21, 07:32 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
I hope the OP ran like hell with their bike. If the shop can't figure out how to measure to figure out which diameter cotter, and don't understand the basic concept of filing a cotter, they're probably not going to properly install the cotters. Wonder if they ever updated the status?

Jsendin I see you saying 8.5mm is the correct size cotter for your Peugeot, I'm curious what year it is, what crank is on it, and whether the BB spindle is original. I swear the 70s-80s era bikes took a 9.0mm cotter, it's what I've shipped out to nearly everyone I've ever gifted to here on BF for their French bikes over the years. Maybe I'm smoking crack, but I've popped enough cotters out in my lifetime you'd think I'd remember.

Edit: I'm also curious how you measured. Did you measure the inner diameter of the hole in the crank and that's where your measure came from?

Old 04-10-21, 07:25 AM
Jsendin

Hey francophile i have to start with a disclaimer. Cotter pin cranks scare me so I always stayed away from bikes that em.

I got this bike in a lot with several others so it kind of forced me to Encounter The Cotter.

Here are some pics of bike, crank, old pin which I destroyed as a cotter pin newbie (one guess what I tried to do haha) and new pin after filing down. Also a pic of how I measured.

I switched to flat bar as the original drop bar and stem didn’t inspire much confidence. Because the frame wasn’t in great shape and it’s not really a special Pug i didn’t mind mixing it up a bit

PS all of the reference I found online spoke of 9mm or 9.5mm cotters so that’s where I started originally

Old 04-10-21, 01:09 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by Jsendin
Hey francophile i have to start with a disclaimer. Cotter pin cranks scare me so I always stayed away from bikes that em.

I got this bike in a lot with several others so it kind of forced me to Encounter The Cotter.

Here are some pics of bike, crank, old pin which I destroyed as a cotter pin newbie (one guess what I tried to do haha) and new pin after filing down. Also a pic of how I measured.

I switched to flat bar as the original drop bar and stem didn’t inspire much confidence. Because the frame wasn’t in great shape and it’s not really a special Pug i didn’t mind mixing it up a bit

PS all of the reference I found online spoke of 9mm or 9.5mm cotters so that’s where I started originally
Weird, that's not the Nervar cottered crank I'd expect. You already have some 8.5mm cotters on order?

Old 04-10-21, 02:25 PM
Jsendin

Originally Posted by francophile
Weird, that's not the Nervar cottered crank I'd expect. You already have some 8.5mm cotters on order?
yep the 8.5s are in already. Maybe I just misidentified the bike or the crank is non original? but I’m sure I’ve seen this same crank on a few pugs
Old 04-10-21, 02:51 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by Jsendin
yep the 8.5s are in already. Maybe I just misidentified the bike or the crank is non original? but I’m sure I’ve seen this same crank on a few pugs
Look, if anything is consistent about bike-boom era bikes, it's that nothing is consistent. That said, I thought the crank may be non-original, but it fooled me for a sec, thinking it wasn't a typical NERVAR crank, but now I look closer, I see the rings are mounted incorrectly, maybe, amongst other things? Typically one from the early/mid-70s era your bike and the bike below were built would have "NERVAR" on the arm, or so I thought. I may be losing my mind.

Not sure what to tell you. I can measure the cotters from the crank pictured below and let you know what those were. I swore they were 9.0 but you'll find 8.5 and 9.0 used on central European bikes of the era.